[REQUEST] [completed] usability - watching list

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlemaudit

It's been a few months I'm using Anime Planet and there are things that I feel are missing.
Here's one :

I'm using my profile's anime list filtered with watching to track down the anime I need/have to(1) watch.

In this list I may find 2 different sort of anime :
  • some tagged as completed
  • some tagged as ongoing

If you consider anime tagged as ongoing, it is possible to refine a bit more :
  • some have episodes I haven't watched yet
  • some don't

What do I ask for ? Well, simply and clearly, I'd like to have a way to filter my profile's watching anime list with these 3 options :
  • show / hide completed anime
  • show / hide ongoing anime with unwatched episodes
  • show / hide ongoing anime without unwatched episodes

Why do I ask for this feature ? Here are the reasons that comes to my mind :
  1. I'm regularly watching many(2) anime at the same time, both completed and ongoing.
    Some tagged as ongoing have short release period - a week or so - (like attack on titan, a town where you live...) and some have long release period - several weeks or months - (like Yamato 2199, GITS Arise...) so there are anime on my watching list that are here but I have nothing to care about them because I already watched everything that was already possible to watch. So during the period lasting from the moment I watched the latest available episode and the moment a new episode is released/aired these anime are "polluting" my list. Making them disappear from my watching list while there presence is pointless/meaningless will help me focus on other anime.
  2. Unless I missed something, the results returned by these 3 options are mutually exclusive so using this options to filter my watching anime list won't return confusing/inconsistent results.
  3. Again, unless I missed something, for now, I have no simple and reliable way to make this feature possible with a workaround.

Which data is needed to make it possible ?
  1. The fact that I am connected (meaningless feature if I'm not connected)
  2. The fact that I am browsing my own anime list (pointless feature if I'm browsing another user's watching anime list)
  3. The ongoing anime status
  4. The number of released episodes
  5. The latest episode I watched

As you can see, all the needed data is already available. So unless I've missed something, it may be possible to make this feature possible without modifying the database structure.

Does this make sense ? Did I miss something ? Is there a possible workaround ? Do you think this feature would be useful ?

Any comment is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
M.

(1) For those wondering, No, I'm not... :sweat: :...:
(2) Actually a few comparing with sothis' impressive watching list
[OFF TOPIC]
Wow...
How can you keep watching so many anime at the same time? :@_@:
You definitely are a master... :smile:
[/OFF TOPIC]

Re: [REQUEST] usability - watching list

You can already get most of what you want. Go to anime->browse by title and click the advanced search button. Now check "watching" and either "show only ongoing" or "show only completed" (don't check both of those for obvious reasons (despite the fact that the script allows you to do so)). There is not currently a way to find "watching->ongoing->unseen eps", but 2 outa 3 ain't bad [/meatloaf].

You can even bookmark those searches for later reference;
Watching-Completed
Watching-Ongoing

You can already get most of what you want. Go to anime->browse by title and click the advanced search button. Now check "watching" and either "show only ongoing" or "show only completed" (don't check both of those for obvious reasons (despite the fact that the script allows you to do so)). There is not currently a way to find "watching->ongoing->unseen eps", but 2 outa 3 ain't bad [/meatloaf].

You can even bookmark those searches for later reference;
Watching-Completed
Watching-Ongoing

You're quite right Drahken. And I'm already aware of what you said, but that fact is that I'm essentially interested in this last 3rd option you're mentioning. Too bad... :crying:
Well... that's also the reason why my post had a [request] tag. :)

By the way, the bookmark trick was interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

You're quite right Drahken. And I'm already aware of what you said, but that fact is that I'm essentially interested in this last 3rd option you're mentioning. ...

I find that people often aren't aware that the advanced search can do much or sometimes even all of what they're looking for when they make requests like these. Besides, if I hadn't said it, someone else would have. :p

Incidentally, you can do the same filtering on your list, without having to go to the browse by title/etc, but the buttons are relabelled to "show filtyers" instead of "advanced search".

I find that people often aren't aware that the advanced search can do much or sometimes even all of what they're looking for when they make requests like these. Besides, if I hadn't said it, someone else would have. :p

Incidentally, you can do the same filtering on your list, without having to go to the browse by title/etc, but the buttons are relabelled to "show filtyers" instead of "advanced search".

You're right and I'm already using these filter options.

To be honest, the only reason why I choose Anime Planet and not My Anime List is the richness of the search feature available here. :drinking:

To me, making anime disappear from my watching list when I'm up to date and making them show up again when there's a new episode available would be really convenient.

As other people may use this site a different way I do, I'm interested in their opinion, so tell me, if the option I'm asking for existed, would you use it ? If not, could you please tell me why ?

Hello sothis,

I recently found this user script that addresses my needs in a very nice and convenient way.

I'm using it with chromium Version 32.0.1700.107 Ubuntu 12.04 (32.0.1700.107-0ubuntu0.12.04.1~20140204.866.1) and TamperMonkey v3.7.13.

Could you please think about integrating the features added by this script directly in AP (maybe for the site redesign) ?

Kind Regards,
M

Hello,

Just in case someone needs this script, AnnanFay has moved is project to GitHub.

Regards,
M

Thanks again for the fix, this script really makes it easy to go through my watching list and see what I am behind on.

Hello sothis,

Can you please mark this request as completed as well ?

The recent modifications made to my watching list aswered my original request.
And my request that you add the script features natively to the website were also answered so I do not need it anymore.

Even if the requested fonctionalities were not implemented the way i asked them, they're here so ... Yep completed please, :smile:

Regards,
M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back