Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi

Reat

Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

Haven't watched it yet but looks interesting. Something about romantic poetry and it looks like it has pretty art. Probably not for the male teenager crowd. ;)

I started it. It's about the stories behind the poems, or how did the 100 poems came to be.
I'm going to love this anime probably, even though I'm not big on romance. It has that same Genji Monogatari setting, Heian era with beautiful clothing and elegant characters, and an amazing seiyuu cast.
The ED is really catchy.

The ED was catchy but in my opinion totally did not fit the show.

I do think the first episode was pretty good though. Not as sappy as I thought it was going to be

Agreed that the ED really does not fit. But I really really liked the OP, I found it catchy, the melody is already stuck with me :D The first episode was quite good, I think watching this show once a week will be fun! It wasn't sappy, nor was it too serious... I found it entertaining.

P.S. loved the reaction of the girl when she understood the meaning behind "Chihayaburu" :laugh:

No, the ED doesn't fit the anime at all. But still, it's pretty addictive, I've been humming it all day.

Finally got around to watching it. Seems pretty entertaining. The characters haven't endeared themselves to me yet, but I have a feeling once they do I'm going to really love this anime.

Ep2
Why were the snakes censored? Was it some kind of perverse innuendo? More importantly, I really don't think doing a poem an episode is the right format for this. While the story in the first episode was relatively short and simple, this one was far more complex. It went well until the general died... in which case it felt like a 30 second wrap up. Honestly, I just did not feel the love from either of them once they grew up, so the ending really just felt like it came out of left field.

Yeah, they do that odd censorship in anime sometimes. I doubt it's anything sexual in this anime, it's far from ecchi after all.

Episode 2
Sadaakira is a typical bully who whines about being misunderstood when he doesn't even let other people try to understand him. Uh, thank God that he probably won't appear much again.
I love how a new couple is introduced with every episode but they still manage to portray every romance in a different way. Pretty refreshing for me who doesn't like strictly-romance anime at all. I never knew there were so many different way to fall in love, lol, and it's nice to find out more about 100 poems.

Ep3
Well, that was fucked up in many different ways, but it can probably be summarized as VALUES DISSONANCE. Makes me think of the feudal era love stories from Europe... while it's pretty backwards compared to this time, it's still leagues away from what I just saw. Somewhere, a feminist is crying. I still liked it though, and at least it wasn't so complex as to feel rushed from being only one episode.

It's weird though, I feel like I should really be liking this anime, but something just isn't clicking.

Episode Four
Wait, where was the ending? Dude gets a cold, a letter from the chick... and then no resolution? It looks like it needs a second episode to finish the story, but they didn't give any indication of that. Did I miss something?

^Nope, you didn't miss anything. That was it. Seems like this episode wasn't about s couple, than rather a few friends. I'm glad we got to see the characters that appeared in the previous episodes.

Episode Five
I liked this episode, coupled with the last one, almost feels like a slice of life story about the poets. This series is really hard to follow though, since it seems to jump from character to character and time periods constantly. If I get this straight, the events of the first episode occurred after the fourth, timewise? And the second follows some period after this episode? This is really screwing with my head.

Also, I liked this a lot better without the introduction spoonery, even though there was small bit at the end. If they just followed the lives of these poets in a coherent manner I think I'd really love this series.

Episode Six
What the fuck happened in this episode? This shit just stopped making sense entirely. This show always had a few screws loose, but it usually contained it to a few minutes at the beginning or end of the episodes. The only thing I can think of is that this was pulled-out-the-ass filler. I did notice that it seems they're going to do another time skip and introduce a new character next episode. So much of this series I love, and so much of it I hate. I've never felt this polarized about a series before.

I think it lost all its romantic quality after episode 5. It just goes on an on about these three friends. I demand more romance and new couples!

Episode 6

I welcome the comedy filler episode. Teika did say that they would be moving on to the mid Heian era though. So we might be getting new stories pretty soon.

Back