Aldnoah.Zero

I have to say I don't like the artstyle for the anime from what the PVs have shown. The character designs are kind of plain and generic.

On the other hand, Urobuchi on the writing + Fate/Zero director + Sawano on the score + Kalafina make me hope for something good.

Right, mecha. That would be another bad point for me. I'll see how they work that in. If plot and characters take precedence over mecha fights I'm usually game (Code Geass being a prime example). Otherwise it's less of a safe bet.

The PV didn't grab me, I have a horrible feeling that this could be another Gargantia...

So the raw has been out for a few hours, but it seems there's no simulcast rip for this one so it'll just take as long as the fansub groups do.

According to sources, Commie, Vivid and Doki are all working on this.

That wasn't too great and for the most part it felt just generic and standard.

Episode 1:
The characterization for this episode if I'm honest felt slightly lacklustre and there's no one in particular here that grabbed my attention. Some of them seemed like stock stereotypes that I see in every other mecha show with the MC apparently being a genius of sorts and those types don't rub off too well on me. As an entire package there wasn't much room to settle between moments and from my perspective was too disjointed to a degree. Some parts I wasn't a huge fan of too, that I'm predicting an incoming missile thing was really silly in particular near the end and also the events following afterwards were pretty predictable with the whole princess being the instigator of a war deal. In all likelihood I imagine she's not dead and it seemed way too obvious that it was staged, I'm hoping I'm wrong and there's some spin to it than what I'm originally thinking because it'd be very disappointing if my assumption is right.

The dialogue itself I couldn't find it in me to be that engaged either and the setup was sluggish throughout. The end leaves it on a glimmer though that it might develop into an interesting political conflict but the execution's lacking some flair personally.

My mecha cliche meter's just going off at the moment however I'll try to stay optimistic for the next episode.

LinkSword - the first episode is currently on Crunchyroll, so looks like it does have a simulcast.

I generally like mecha and Urobochi is generally fine (with the last mecha series he was involved in being a distinct exception) so am apprehensive about starting this. I already have the second cour of Captain Earth to disappoint me.

Episode 1
This was pretty bad. Firstly we've had 8 infodumps. 8. That is as lazy as you get. We've gotten the same information twice in more different infodumps. Also the characterisation was very generic. Obvious bad guys are obvious and obvious good guys are obvious. Let us not have any grey characters! Let us make everything obvious and make Hitler into Hitler. Bravo. The militay on Earth makes no sense. How do you have so little security? When you have the single most important person alive visiting your country you have security. You don't leave it so unsecure. Four cars? Really? Yes, obvious plot twist is obvious, the Martians killed her themselves, but still. This was no effort at all.
Overall this was boring and stupid. I want to like a mecha sci-fi, but this has given me no reason to suspect that anything good will come from this. Infodumps, generic presentation and pacing, boring characters.

This sounds like a good show. Here's what I got from the two sentences of the synopsis:

The Moon has a massive gate that teleports from the Moon to Mars so Humanity is all "Lets use this shit" and go to Mars, claiming it for Earth because in this universe, space expansion and exploration is funded by all and not by the Soviets or 'Murica. But then the martians step out and are all "Oh no you motherfuckers didn't just claim our homeworld in your name" so a fight breaks out on Mars that the Martians win and they think "These ass crackers are invading us? How about we invade those fucks?" so they use the Warp Gate they never used before because they were perfectly content with chillin' in their Mars Palaces before and use the gate as a forward base to fucking drop space mecha from fucking space into the earth's atmosphere. These martians be space diving the fuck into earth's atmosphere!

Space diving to fuck earth's shit up.

Earth is caught with it's pants down, taking a massive dump after chili night. Because mecha are the way of the future, 80% of the Nation's money went towards creating mecha, in the off chance some douche aliens need to get punched in the face.

I honestly thought that was a solid start.

Episode 1:
I like the setup here. I've always liked alternate histories, especially those focusing on the present day after whatever change is made. The setting is well thought-out; I predict we're going to be learning a lot about what really happened on Heaven's Fall later on. I do want to know what them Martians are up to, and I hope we get to clearly see the internal conflicts between the various Martian Knights besides their battles with the Earth characters.

Princess Asseylum and Slaine were an interesting pair, I kinda wish we had gotten to see more of them. (I'm willing to bet Asseylum isn't actually dead.) The apparent racism against Slaine for (I assume) having Earth heritage will be a cool topic to explore alongside the outright war between Earth and Mars. Maybe, if Asseylum is actually gone for good (or he just thinks she is), that combined with others' prejudice could lead to him changing sides.

All in all, I'm getting a sort of Gargantia vibe here. Which, to me, is a very good thing.

Episode 1.
It's pretty obvious Princess Blondie is alive. We didn't see her face once during that parade. Which means that was probably a body double. That aside, I like.

Episode 1 kept be interested enough, also that bit where the landing castle hit and just caused a shockwave that vaporized people into ash, threw cars, and destroyed buildings. that was a cool scene.

Episode 1 kept be interested enough, also that bit where the landing castle hit and just caused a shockwave that vaporized people into ash, threw cars, and destroyed buildings. that was a cool scene.

What was not cool about it, was the year. 2005? Really? You pick 2005 as the year in your show to destroy New Orleans? Real classy, Japan.

The military jealous animosity reminds be of the princess and the pilot.

A few have said they don't like mechs.........I also don't like the genre but for me that's basically aimed at gun dam shows with primary in space battles.

Looks like we will get a lot of planet earth time on this so.........it's a wait and see.

So far it looks good.

Very strong opening. I get a weird Code Geass vibe from this and I hope it lives up to the same integrity.

I, too, think that the Princess is still alive. They made a pretty obvious attempt to not show her face. But then that would suggest the Princess is complicit in the knowledge that if her double dies, it will still start a conflict.

What was not cool about it, was the year. 2005? Really? You pick 2005 as the year in your show to destroy New Orleans? Real classy, Japan.

It's 2014. The 20:05 was the time in New Orleans that the Castle came down on it.

Very strong opening. I get a weird Code Geass vibe from this and I hope it lives up to the same integrity.

I, too, think that the Princess is still alive. They made a pretty obvious attempt to not show her face. But then that would suggest the Princess is complicit in the knowledge that if her double dies, it will still start a conflict.

It's 2014. The 20:05 was the time in New Orleans that the Castle came down on it.

I didn't feel the pilot was particularly strong or weak, although I will admit I favored it over Captain Earth's, Nobunaga the Fool's, and Argevollen's. I'm considering either stalling or dropping Argevollen - depending upon the next couple episodes of course - because this was definitely superior.

"Hasn't New Orleans been through enough?" was what I thought when watching that.

01:

I found it fine overall. Perhaps they tried to cram too much information into one episode so the exposition at times feels a bit too much and/or unnatural, but otherwise it was a solid way of starting a sci-fi show,

what with all-out war and mass destruction. If anything, I don't think there'll be too much idle time.

The dialogue and characters, I have to agree with Gen that it was all pretty generic, but I think there's room for improvement there. Although what I liked least about the episode was the protagonist on Earth - he is way too deadpan to take seriously and they'll have to change him radically for me to care. The rest, though, should be alright with development and some more subtlety (i.e. not much more like Mr. Totally-Planned-The-Terrorist-Attempt-On-Princess evil commander in space).

The animation was nice, the only downside being that I don't like the char designs much after all, but that's something I can deal with if the rest of the show proves competent. The OST was probably the big remarkable point, especially in the last scene where it was practically screaming "Hiroyuki Sawano!".

So overall this pilot was pretty much what I expected: nothing mindblowing, but not without entertainment either.

Episode 1

So basically Urobochi's take on Gundam.

It's more than a little heavy-handed - the final joke was more than a little on the nose - but it was a pretty solid start overall. I've been burned on promising mecha starts before - and once by Urobochi - but I'll stick around to see how it plays out.

Back