[REQUEST] Watched/Unwatched Status for Individual Episodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please Note: I originally posted this thread here in the general discussion section, as I had two tabs open, and clicked the wrong one without checking. I apologise for double positing, but if someone could perhaps delete the old thread it would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Hi Everybody,

I have been thinking about this feature for quite some time now, and believe that it would add a great deal of functionality to the site for some members. As most are aware it isn't always possible to watch every episode in a long running series. Sometimes there are availability issues, other times there is mind-numbing filler that must be bi-passed. The same problem is faced with manga, with a series like Phoenix, for example, whilst exists as mostly stand-alone, faces significant distribution issues, meaning that often times one will have read volumes 2, 4, and 7 for example, but not 1, 3, 5, or 6.

However, as of right now, there is no way to mark individual episodes of a series as watched, and others as unwatched, and instead, as in the case with Phoenix, one would have to mark volume 8 as "reading", implying that the user had read 1, 3, 4, and 6. Apart from the upcoming import and export functionality, this would be the last step in making the core anime list features as close to perfect as possible in my view. All episodes would be set to "watched" up until their current viewing status by default (in the Phoenix example, volume 8).

Below is a quick edit I did of the current menu with a possible implementation of a checklist system.

rxYorSG.jpg

Thanks everyone!

While this is an interesting idea, I don't see this as being feasible in the near or medium term future (and might not be something we want to prioritize long term either). I don't think many people would use this level of granularity, and it would greatly increase the complexity of how this is stored in the database and displayed (and how things are marked). the massive increase in complexity and UI changes needed for a feature that i am doubtful many people will use probably means this will not happen.

going to move this to completed for now - we will keep it in mind as a feature request though someday

While this is an interesting idea, I don't see this as being feasible in the near or medium term future (and might not be something we want to prioritize long term either). I don't think many people would use this level of granularity, and it would greatly increase the complexity of how this is stored in the database and displayed (and how things are marked). the massive increase in complexity and UI changes needed for a feature that i am doubtful many people will use probably means this will not happen.

Thanks for your reply, sothis! This is all very understandable, I suppose it is just a feature that I have really been clamoring for, but, for whatever reason, wouldn't be of interest to all too many people. As a matter of interest, would the idea become more feasible if everyone's list was defaulted to all episodes up to their most recent in "watching" and all in "watched" being ticked? Or would this still result in major database strain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back