what are the top 10 things you'd want done or added to Anime-Planet?

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Please list your top (up to) 10 - be as creative as you want, even for things i've said no to in the past. What kind of things would you like to see done/changed on AP?

Let your voice be heard here! ^_^ :drinking:

Ok, let me get this party started. Can't really think of much, but I'll toss something out there.

1 - Personalized backgrounds on profiles would be nice. Or simply being able to add images to our profiles (unless you can and I'm missing something. HTML and BBC don't work).
2 - Polls on the main site. I always find these interesting.
3 - More themes! Muahahaha!
4 - Correlation chart for main characters. Like a family tree with friends and enemies but limited to main characters.

Edited to note that MalteseFalcon makes a good point. Completing what has already been started could be a good idea and I've noticed some "missing" images around the site. Even still, more ideas will spawn!

Ok... that's all I have right now. I'll be back.

Last edited:
As much as new features might be awesome, the first things that come to my mind are:

1) Finish tags. The 'Home' pages have said 'Coming Soon' for quite a while now. Either fill it with an image and a description of the tag, or make it go away please!

2) Finish relations. Slayers, Gundam and Bubblegum Crisis are all prominent series where relations are still TBD.

(If you want some help with the above, let me know)

After that, some other thoughts (in no particular order):

3) Breakdown of series by season/story arc. Some series explicitly break things up via the title (e.g Black Lagoon and Black Lagoon Second Barrage) and AP has created those as separate entries. However, other series (Bleach, Naruto) tend to have story arcs that I believe deserve the same treatment. After 100+ episodes, the plot is definitely different, and I know I have made some recommendations that refer to specific story arcs.

4) I just noticed the 'Recent Donations' thing on the User page, and how it characterizes donors (Bronze, Silver, Gold). However, there is no indication on the user's actual page, which I think would make sense, and give more than 3 users recognition for their support. Also give users to hide it if they prefer to be an anonymous donor (for whatever reason).

*Update* 5) Somehow I forgot that I have started running out of recommendation slots. A few more of those would be nice :)

I really can't think of anything "new" that I would want. I'd prefer some of the existing areas/features finished/filled in before any more newness.

I'd also like to say it is amazing what you have done with the site so far, and that you are always willing to solicit more community feedback. Thanks as always!

Last edited:
1.) Hated characters :P
2.) https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/...tions/52773-request-facebook-integration.html that along with the twitter one
3.) https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/...est-unmarked-button-when-comparing-lists.html that
4.) https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/...questions/41296-request-more-themes-site.html that would be lovely
5.) https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/...rting-site-questions/39962-hide-synonyms.html that
6.) https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/...n-sorting-rating-have-default-best-worst.html i use this a lot and get annoyed every time i have to click the button twice XD
7.) https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/...uest-more-recommendation-slots-per-anime.html that 20-30 should be fine. not a lot of people might use that many but who knows!
8.) More customizable lists. 5 is just ;__;
9.) https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/...24395-request-user-listing-anime-watched.html that
10.) https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/...estions/24408-request-genre-descriptions.html that would be awesome to finally have

Not a chii request but a random thought:

People are probably going to want the re-watch feature. I'm ONLY for this if it's done kinda like this https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/538777-post26.html but maybe just have 2 bars (one under the other) instead of 2 colours, cause the 2 colours look a little silly imo (there were other threads with pretty pictures but I can't locate them atm)
if the person hasn't marked any re-watches it just doesn't show up at all.
Perhaps if there is a way to select which bar shows up on your signature when creating it that could be interesting.
I am aware how costly and crazy this is but if it's done at all it should be done right :P

Ok, let me get this party started. Can't really think of much, but I'll toss something out there.

1 - Personalized backgrounds on profiles would be nice. Or simply being able to add images to our profiles (unless you can and I'm missing something. HTML and BBC don't work).
2 - Polls on the main site. I always find these interesting.
3 - More themes! Muahahaha!
4 - Correlation chart for main characters. Like a family tree with friends and enemies but limited to main characters.

Edited to note that MalteseFalcon makes a good point. Completing what has already been started could be a good idea and I've noticed some "missing" images around the site. Even still, more ideas will spawn!

Ok... that's all I have right now. I'll be back.

I would have to agree with all of this

I'd ideally like to see

1) a "feed" on user profiles on the main site. "6/7/10 Skankfish215 has just finished Ultimate Teacher and rated it 4/5" etc - maybe some kind of box with a watching list viewable too
2) rate reviews (including user reviews) useful or not
3) more themes would be nice, but so would...
4) being able to hide/turn off the theme. I feel bad continually looking at anime stuff at work, don't know about anyone else...
5) some way of listing anime entries by the order of suggested viewing. I just started watching LOTGH and am a bit unsure of when the OAVs/movies fit in. Same with Urusei Yatsura, not that it really matters so much
6) yeah some kind of main site poll or community editorial or something would personalise the whole site a little more I think...

1. More Themes/Skins
2. Forum Matching Site Skins
3. Profile Page Customization
4. Custom Made Themes/Skins (I've made a few with user scripts, so I know its already technically possible, but an official system would be nice)

... What? I'm a graphics designer. Skins are important to me. xD

*Getting the system to edit anime/manga set up like the existing characters one!*

-A list on each anime's page (similar to the watched/watching/stalled/etc) of only the people on your friends list
-Add bands/ppl that performed theme song/OP to the upcoming people database
-A user rating bar graph for each anime (like how we already have one for each user), like how ANN does it (I like to see the spread)
-some sort of alert system when someone replies after you to a blog (in particular, when it was directed at you, since I guess a lot of users don't know that you won't know they responded to your question/etc. and I feel like I might be being rude, but I can't find the blog I posted on...)
-hated characters
-some way to cut down on lists made with every single anime a user has seen/wants to see

4) being able to hide/turn off the theme. I feel bad continually looking at anime stuff at work, don't know about anyone else...
That one could actually be achieved simply by adding a sort of "blank" theme, one which looks like some ordinary website.

edit: The only request I can think of is some sort of flag on blank entries on the "recently added" pages so that you don't have to go through 20 entries saying "oh, I wonder what this series is? ...oh, I -still- wonder what this series is". If there was a flag of some kind on blank entries then you would know at a glance that clicking the link would be pointless (and it would also draw attention to the fact that those entries need someone to submit info for them).

A lot of these have been said, but...

1) Rate reviews more specifically than "funny, cool or helpful." Then possibly integrating it into their profiles with how popular/how much people agree with their reviews. If not, putting the "funny, cool or helpful" choices on the non-site reviews would be good too.
2) Rate recs
3) This is kind of hard to word, but I'll give it a shot...
In the advanced search, adding be able to narrow down possible selections by shows that were rec'd to other shows you've seen (like a drop down of all the shows you've seen. You click it, then it would filter out shows that aren't rec'd to that show or those shows).
4) More themes
5) some way to cut down on lists made with every single anime a user has seen/wants to see. Possibly a choice for series that haven't came out yet.
New idea: 6) Being able to add Seiyuus as favorites, like we can with characters.

Last edited:
1) A functional anime tag addition/subtraction system. So far as I can tell, as it is right now tags are basically put there when an entry is added, and every so often when a new tag is invented, but that's about it. The tags suggestion thread appears to be long since ignored, though adding a tag just because one random person thinks it should be there isn't necessarily the best way to do things anyway. (you might have a show with two or three swimsuit shots get stuck with the ecchi tag, etc.)

The ideal way (seeing as though we can be unrealistic here :P) would probably be some sort of form where any user could click a "suggest tags" link/button on an anime entry and fill in what tags they think a show should or shouldn't have. Then the site keeps a count for each tag and displays the ones that have more people in favor of them than against. (i.e. if there are three people who said something should have the comedy tag and five that did not, the tag would not be displayed)

2) A way to see some amount of detailed average ratings. Things like a bar graph, average amongst watched/watching/dropped, average of your friends' ratings, etc.

3) The option to use a custom list on the A-P sig.

4) Revival of the soft search (finding things when the spelling is slightly off or onlypart of the title is there and such)

5) Fleshed out similar users system, based on anime watched, ratings given, etc. instead of just favorite and least favorite genres.

6) Might as well add to the 'want moar themes' pile. Allowing users to submit them and then approving/disapproving would allow a bunch to be created very quickly; we do have a number of excellent graphical peoples here. If the concern about people whining after being told no is really that great, just put a little disclaimer saying something along the lines of "by submitting a theme, you hereby agree not to complain if you are turned down" :P

7) Randomize favorite characters display

8) More friend notifications (blogs, reviews, etc.)

9) Searches that yield a single result going directly to the page in question

10) A little more to do on the main/section pages... polls have been brought up, I think there was some mention of a chat box at one point, a little quiz or guess-the-anime thing, maybe even though the full-fledged article system idea fell through you could perhaps have a someone write a 'featured blog' article every week or two for people to read, something along those lines.

1. I definitely agree with getting existing things finished. Particularly finish off the tags page. Especially now with the character db up and running, adding descriptions to them could be helpful, it could really help people work out when to use a tag and when not to.

2. Manga <--> Anime relations there are a lot of times when I want to go to the manga of a series when I'm on the anime page, but have to either search for it or browse some other way.

3. More themes lol.

4. I really liked the article idea and it was a shame that it kind of died a death really. Might be nice to get some kind of semi-regular editorial column thing up.

5. Randomise the favourite characters display.

6. Either: randomise the 'Related Characters' shown on a character's page or (and this would be preferable) All for a "Show all related characters" page. It's kind of annoying seeing the same three characters show up, especially on series like One Piece or Naruto, since it goes alphabetically it's not even the main characters that necessarily show up.

7. From a reviewer's point of view, on the site reviews, where it has the little About us box, it might be nice to have a link that goes to the list of all our reviews. That way if someone new to the site reads one, likes it and wants to read more of that particular reviewer's pieces then they have a full list at their disposal. I know that there's a randomised list of five, but that's only a taster as such. The same to a degree applies to the user reviews. There are links to other random reviews from that person, but other than clicking on the reviews tab you can't get to the full list of reviews - it might just be me but since the reviews tab is already highlighted it doesn't always occur to click on that to get to the full list.

8. I like the suggestion of rating recs. It'd be nice if it gave you like points or something that would show up on profiles. So like, if someone reads a rec and things it's helpful they give it a thumbs up and the user gets a point. Could be quite good for showing users who give particularly useful recommendations and if there were like ranks or somethin it might encourage more people to use the recommendation side of things. I wouldn't suggest taking points away for unhelpful recs as that could discourage people from leaving them in the first place, which isn't the idea lol.

May add a 9 and 10 if I can think of them, but for now it's 2.30am and I need sleep!

Edit:

9. How could I forget this one: More rec spaces!

Last edited:
1) Rate reviews more specifically than "funny, cool or helpful." Then possibly integrating it into their profiles with how popular/how much people agree with their reviews.

So... people having the power to anonymously affect some kind of scorecard on a reviewer's personal page with no need to justify themselves? I assume this is a jest.

Personally, I would like exact match searches to go straight to the anime/manga in question. Seem to remember this one being in the pipeline already.

Also, what about comments on characters/reviews/blogs going from oldest to newest when you read from top to bottom? That is a more logical way to read them, I believe.

1. A column on the browse anime/manga page that lists the total number of episodes, and another column for the total number of users

2. An unwatched filter on the browse anime/manga page and the compare list page. Or you could add 'unmarked' to the list of status filters, and then I could do a search for stalled + watching + won't watch + dropped + want to watch + unmarked (which would be the same thing as unwatched).

3. Friends filter for the anime user stats (pic)

4. Hentai entries (so that I can have a complete list of all the anime I've seen)

5. A rating bar graph for each anime (pic)

6. Anime <--> manga relations

7. Ability to sort characters by number of favorites (after filtering by tag)

8. Fix the friend activity bug where it says someone rated a manga 0/5 every time they read another chapter

9. When comparing lists - status filters for my own list, so I can see what they've seen and I haven't (right now, the filters are only applied to the other person's list)

10. More custom lists per user

1. I definitely agree with getting existing things finished. Particularly finish off the tags page. Especially now with the character db up and running, adding descriptions to them could be helpful, it could really help people work out when to use a tag and when not to.

^ I agree with this.

2. A 2-D anime character flash game similar to the stuff you'd find on the adult swim website.

3. Anime related crossword puzzles or other trivia type games.

4. An editorial section along with recent news, events, and trends in anime/manga culture.

5. more of these :hamster::cow::confused: possibly ones that look like cat-girls saying "nyah" and definitely smiley faces with mokawks / emo hair / glasses

Last edited:
1.more themes

2.maybe a poll every month or so would be nice

3.twitter integration or something like that

4.a rewatch option added on the side of the main entry that counts from 1-100

5.a small list on user pages of the last 5 or 10 series you watched or stalled etc.

6.hentai entries or entries of series that have been censored from hentai to non hentai series like Kite or Mezzo were

7.relations of manga to anime and vise-versa

8.links on entry pages 2 wikipedia or anime news network 4 more information

9.we have a life on anime bar can we have a life on manga bar i know you cant count the time it took to read them but could we have it say something like how many chapters or volumes we've read

10.maybe a rank system to see which people have watched the most anime or read the most manga or rated the most series and so on

I'm pretty much stealing everyone's ideas, but here are my top ten.

I definitely agree with getting existing things finished. Particularly finish off the tags page. Especially now with the character db up and running, adding descriptions to them could be helpful, it could really help people work out when to use a tag and when not to.

2. Work on relations, there is too many TBDs.

3. Recent Donations doesn't seem to get updated. The bronze/silver/gold is a good idea and should be shown somewhere on user's profiles (perhaps bring back the old "otaku" button thing as well?). Taco is awesome, but bringing it to the main site would be nice (and might make people do more stuff on the site).

4. More themes! Having a blank theme or two is a great idea. :D

5. News should be more obvious on the main page, it's not really noticeable right now.

6. Article idea was great, I'm not sure why it was tossed but I'm sure it'll keep people on the site longer.

7. On anime lists, have a small flag letting people know it's blank. It might look bad for the site if there are a ton, but it'll make people want to submit info. (a certain color if it's just missing descriptions)

8. Anime and manga relations.

9. I'd love notifications (on the feed in my profile) if my friends write blogs or reviews.

10. When someone requests an anime, perhaps put up a blank entry right away instead of waiting for screens/synopsis?
edit: I know you added some, but I didn't think you added them all ^-^; my bad then!

People have some nice ideas. I'd love to see some upgrades (cept for marking anime as watched multiple times >.>) With the characters now added, I'm sure we'll be getting more and more users.

Last edited:
10. When someone requests an anime, perhaps put up a blank entry right away instead of waiting for screens/synopsis?

we've been doing that for months now ^_^ there's tons and tons of placeholders up

Back