Log Horizon

LinkSword

POPEE BELIEVER
Log Horizon

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Episode is out, I'm downloading a CR rip at the moment.

Hopefully this'll be a good take on the concept, but the trailers/PVs didn't give me much hope of it being any better than SAO... whether it's great or dull, though, I pray I won't get to read much of the inevitable SAOtard bitchin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw, you guys made it sound like it'll be disappointing because I've been looking forward to this for maybe a year or less. =I
I'll get to it eventually once I get everything settled. =P

Episode 1:

Well, at least they aren't trying to be dramatic like SAO and they are basically throwing the whole game mechanics from the window for a more shonen approach so i can actually enjoy it a bit as long as they dont try too hard and keep it that way.

01:

I'll get this out of the way first: the opening sucks. Hard.

As for the episode itself, it's a mixed bag.

On the one side, there's some interesting aspects. The game is not a new one meant to be virtual reality, but an average MMORPG like WoW and the like, which is what the characters were familiar with. They were never inside the game but rather just played it from outside their screens just like I'm writing this now. They're all max level users, but the way to fight and explore the world has changed completely and everything that could have been a walk in the park before might now become a threat. It's an interesting premise.

On the other side... the mood was horrendous for the most part. The comedy was too in-your-face and continuous for this to feel like they're actually people trapped in an unknown, unbelievable situation, which should normally build up plenty of anxiety even if you're particularly adaptive and have friends around. People don't just go "Oh, so now I'm inside a game and there's plenty of monsters nearby? Cool". I guess they might be saving a darker turn for when someone dies (I really hope they do die - it'll suck otherwise), but hints of uneasiness and conflict should have been delivered in the pilot already (having poorly-drawn extras despairing in the background doesn't count, mind you).

Instead, the silly ass humor took over everything else. Naotsugu is mighty annoying so far and so was the Kansai dialect girl. On top of that, the writing is seriously basic, not engaging at all. The animation was only nice here and there, during the fights mostly - otherwise it was a pretty bland-looking world.

I don't know, really. My impression of the first episode is quite negative but Log Horizon has some potential to get good if this was just an amateur author's idea of "the period before shit hits the fan" and it becomes more compelling to follow when (if) things really get started.

episode 1:

Soooo the director went okay you thought SAO sucked, we'll show you what real sucking is.

Link already brought up my biggest complaint. None of the characters were shocked to be in the world of the game. They looked confused for about five minutes and then just accepted it.

Beyond that everything was bland. None of the characters were interesting, the comedy wasn't funny and kept repeating jokes several times to make them even more unfunny, the world was really bland looking and even the monster designs were boring.

Although the episode wasn't all bad. I may have said this looks worse than SAO, but it did do one thing better than SAO and that's explain a few of the mechanics in a natural way. SAO had a lot of terribly unnatural exposition to explain things. Whereas here when something needed explaining it was slipped into the dialogue naturally which was a nice touch.

This show doesn't have to suck. The idea is interesting enough, but it reaaaaaaaallly needs to step up it's game and quickly. Otherwise it's going to fall into a boring rut.

Edit: Also, yes, that opening is fucking awful to the point of being earbleed. Uggggggh.

^ its just probably gonna be mindless action so as long as you dont higher expection for it you should be able to enjoy it a bit.

I heard this will be a 2 cour season so they should be plenty of time to bulid up the characters.
This first episode was okay and I loved how they showed all the game mechanics, I'm hoping this will turn out better than SAO. Also interesting is the main protagonist is a mage which is different to the usual sword wielding types.

I'll get this out of the way first: the opening sucks. Hard.
Also, yes, that opening is fucking awful to the point of being earbleed. Uggggggh.

I actually didn't mind the opening too much. It wasn't good and I laughed at the lyrics, but I prefer it to some this season (looking at you, Little Busters! Refrain and Strike the Blood).

The intro was what stood out as terrible to me (as in, the part before the opening song) and had me pretty worried, but after the main piece got going I realized that the show probably isn't going to be terrible even if it's not going to be great. Looks like it'll be a bit of fluff to burn 20 minutes on every week for a while, and maybe I'll end up enjoying the story more than I expect.

I actually thought that the handwave on the controls not working properly anymore was weaker than SAO's tutorial episode. After all, this is going from a normal game where you select the skill/spell/item to use to suddenly being based on "feel". Yet the characters still have to call the name of their special moves? Choose which it is, writer.

Glad they didn't make the UI visible to other characters around like in SAO though.

I'm not sure what to think of this just yet...

Episode 1:

OP wasn't my thing really... but I think that animation and general music, which I found quite fitting with the world, was all right. Backgrounds were pretty as well. They are not Coppelion level but still look nice. Design is quite generic but versatile, and I did like the monster design... even if it was just red-eye-laser-squirrel-plant or whatever they called it. Oh yeah, nice to know that show didn't decide to tentacle a loli... I'll give them that, at least.

Characters were lively, and probably the only reason why I wasn't bored was because of that energy (no matter how misplaced it might look and how unfunny it was). And I'm glad that show didn't decide to bombard me with angst and despair but rather decided to go casually. Maybe it will work out for it later on. I didn't really find their sol style behavior too repulsive, since there was not anything omnipresent that would indicate that their lives were in grave danger - they are just stuck - and have no idea what the hell is happening.

I liked the way of storytelling, and that game mechanics look a lot more interesting than SAO where it was just switch and hit or whatever, but I think that they ruined it with that "use your mind" thingy... and narration explained things way more naturally.

I know that it was not supposed to be funny but I laughed when monster died and left coins behind... I know...

All in all; quite meh. Nothing I'd write home about, but I'll continue to watch... for some reason.

I'm not sure what to think of this just yet...

Episode 1:

OP wasn't my thing really... but I think that animation and general music, which I found quite fitting with the world, was all right. Backgrounds were pretty as well. They are not Coppelion level but still look nice. Design is quite generic but versatile, and I did like the monster design... even if it was just red-eye-laser-squirrel-plant or whatever they called it. Oh yeah, nice to know that show didn't decide to tentacle a loli... I'll give them that, at least.

Characters were lively, and probably the only reason why I wasn't bored was because of that energy (no matter how misplaced it might look and how unfunny it was). And I'm glad that show didn't decide to bombard me with angst and despair but rather decided to go casually. Maybe it will work out for it later on. I didn't really find their sol style behavior too repulsive, since there was not anything omnipresent that would indicate that their lives were in grave danger - they are just stuck - and have no idea what the hell is happening.

I liked the way of storytelling, and that game mechanics look a lot more interesting than SAO where it was just switch and hit or whatever, but I think that they ruined it with that "use your mind" thingy... and narration explained things way more naturally.

I know that it was not supposed to be funny but I laughed when monster died and left coins behind... I know...

All in all; quite meh. Nothing I'd write home about, but I'll continue to watch... for some reason.

^Nailed it got nothing more to add after this summary as for the opening I guess it depends on tastes and it wasn't great but if everything was J-pop then it would suck. Some openings are so boring they just send me to sleep this wasn't one of them. Then again the best opening last season according to youtube was watamote and I don't agree with that at all like I said it depends on music tastes.

Looks like you didn't like SAO much Naga if that is the case that is something we can both definitely agree on.

Naga said:
And I'm glad that show didn't decide to bombard me with angst and despair but rather decided to go casually.

I don't mean to say the show should have switched gears to full emo in the first couple minutes, but you have people who are stuck in another world, where they feel pain and without remembering a thing of how they got there, and they're acting all casual as if they had woken up in the middle of a park after a whole night of partyin' in town. It put me off massively as this made them feel cartoony and unreal from the very start.

I don't mean to say the show should have switched gears to full emo in the first couple minutes, but you have people who are stuck in another world, where they feel pain and without remembering a thing of how they got there, and they're acting all casual as if they had woken up in the middle of a park after a whole night of partyin' in town. It put me off massively as this made them feel cartoony and unreal from the very start.

I honestly have no idea how that should be executed. I know I saw many people sitting around angsting about it, which was quite okay with me since that should be with big majority, but I was also quite confused with MC's laid back way of apprehending, even though it might fit well with his "calculated" character. His friend seems like dumb hunk so I wasn't really shocked either. It did felt cartoony as hell, but it wasn't really anything major that would put me off.

EP1

Well I think I would love to have these people's demenor about being stuck
in a game.
Capture_zpsdefdcf5c.jpg

Anyhow, I guess not dreadful, (outside of the annoyingly goofy tunes played when the characters are bantering with each other. I wonder if it would almost be funnier if they dropped the Golly-gee-whiz comic laugh track style music played when she keeps hitting that guy with her knee.

not terrible. it was strange having the main character exclaim Rika... er i mean the assassin chick was gorgeous... when she looked like a 10 year old. that weirded me out. the unusually high number of women was even more evident in this game then it was in SAO... which usually had the good sense to keep the number of women in any given scene pretty low in comparison to the number of guys. Sorta glad they didn't go with the angst approach, as it would really feel like a knockoff of SAO.

that said there was a LOT of slapstick and very little focus on what happened to them.

Back