ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT MAIN SITE'S TEMP CLOSURE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Hello,

We've been working diligently on V3 of the site, which boasts a brand new design, several awesome new features (including manga information), and better usability.

In the interest of disclosure, approximately one month ago a person found a security hole in the site (presumably through the older version of vbulletin) which allowed him to send a mass spam email for his anime stream site (I'm sure a lot of you with forum accounts got it). As it turns out, this person had greater access than we could find at the time.

Since we don't know the exact hole he found, we thought the responsible course of action would be to take down the old codebase, wipe the server, and speed up the production of V3. We are doing our best to ensure that the new site is secure. Just to be safe, I'd suggest changing your passwords.

In two weeks, V3 alpha will launch. This version will not have any of the new features, but will have the new design and (hopefully) all of the old site features in place. Keep in mind we are having to finish design and develop the old features from scratch in only two weeks. A lofty challenge, but we are up for it!

The official V3 launch will still occur in the beginning of October, and will have the new site features.

Your site accounts, anime lists, recommendations and all content are safe and sound. They'll be back in 2 weeks.

For now please enjoy the forum. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Stick around for a new and improved AP.

Last edited:
Still hasn't auto-updated for me, I had to flush manually a few times. If people hadn't been tyalking about it in chat, I never would have known it was back up. You should edit the pages on the old server to tell everyone to flush their dns.

Well, good luck. I can't wait for it to be back. I don't know how I can survive without it. I will do my best to live until it is back up.

Well thanks for that update sothis I was wondering what that Email was about good thing I didn't sign up for that site. I will wait to change the password as I don't want to lose my Forum account and main one. Wait till the mereger to make it easy. Thank you again for all the hard work and effort you and your staff do. GO ANIME PLANET STAFF KICK HIS ASS.

Hello,

Since we don't know the exact hole he found, we thought the responsible course of action would be to take down the old codebase, wipe the server, and speed up the production of V3. We are ensuring that the new codebase is extremely secure. Just to be safe, I'd suggest changing your passwords.

But...But...How do we change our passwords if the site is closed?:confused:

...So the site hacker was the same character that pulled that spamming stunt? I didn't realize the 2 incidents were related.

About the password changing, if we change our forum password wouldn't it interfer with the profile password when V3 rolls around? I read from your thread Sothis that you made it says if the profile and forum password are exact there would not be a problem.
Could you explain this if you could I am confused on this.

Also I made a seperate thread on this in the bug and request forum. Sorry about that I thought that it might be missed so I did a thread on this question on there too.

wow this sucks i was completely relying on anime planet to keep track of all the series i was watching. the episodes the names of the series god oh wells i guess it whill be good for me to go 2 whole weeks with barely any anime cant wait to see the new site

re: the password thing... specifically what i'm suggesting is if you used your anime-planet password ANYWHERE ELSE (meaning if you used the same password for your online banking, yahoo mail, anything) i suggest changing those. it's good password behavior to keep separate passwords for separate sites, but just in case you used your AP password elsewhere, you might want to go change the others to be overly safe.

we'll probably force people to change their password upon first login once alpha is up, so no worries there. ^_^

we made some serious headway tonight on the new user profile design and the anirec entry design. awesome stuff!!! youll love it.

Im starting to get querious, can't wait till it's finished. How long will it take till the new features will be inplanted?

for the most part the alpha release will just be the old features and the (mostly, if not fully) finalized design... you can consider it a security release.

all of the new huge features will be launched as previously scheduled with V3's official launch, which is tenatively scheduled for Oct 1 ^_^

after the big launch, we'll have smaller launches incrementally (every 1-2 months) with updates, smaller features, etc

i dont think "fun" has anything to do with this :p but thanks for the well wishes anyways ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back