[request] New Anime Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

chii

Just a few suggestions that would really make anime tags more complete imo (I'll edit this post if I see others suggested that should added)

Visual Novel Adaptation <- includes eroge, dating sims

Video Game Adaptation <- covers ALL includes RPG's, could mean that the game came before the anime or a video game was made because of the anime

Dystopia <- needs to come back (Kaiba, Berserk, Kino no Tabi, Gilgamesh, Now and Then Here and There, etc.)

Gunslinger <- we got Swordsmen so why not for one for guns (I know it's a person tag but it has an "s" at the end same with Sword Fighters for Swordsmen)

Short Episodes <- different from Shorts this one would mean that the anime is a series and has a lower time count than your standard 24 min series per episode (Chi's Sweet Home (3 mins), Higepiyo (5 mins), Kuruneko (2 mins), Cromartie High School (11 mins), Astro Fighter Sunred (13 mins), DMC (13 mins), Smash Hit (13 mins), etc.)

Time Travel <- travel anywhere between space and time! (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Orguss, Doraemon, Heroic Age, Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin, etc)

Underworld <- would include such things as mafia, cults, bad guys fighting amongst each other, yakuza or any crime organization that is shadowed from the general public. (Baccano, Kaiji, Golgo 13, Black Lagoon, Gankutsuou, Kurenai, Reborn!, etc)

Stand Alone Movie <- Any movie that isn't related to any series/ova. MAYBE all movies that were originally standalone movies should be tagged also. A discussion is needed to make a decision on titles that started off as a movie but got more added to it. (Some questionable movies: Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Appleseed, Crusher Joe, Locke the Superman, Gall Force, etc) (requested by drahken)

Complex World <- This would be anime (usually fantasy and sci-fi) with an exceptional amount of world building. So we'd be looking or things like made up languages, numerous intersecting and interacting rules of magic/technology, societal hierarchies, ranked positions, many bizarre animal species and unique architecture etc. The anime in question would have combinations of several of these or exhibit a particularly strong tendency in one. (The Twelve Kingdoms, Dennou Coil, Crest of the Stars, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Kemono no Souja Erin, etc) (requested by vivi)

"Insert language here" Dubbed <- anything that has official dubs in that language. English, Korean, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Tagalog, Portuguese (requested by straydog, madhattr999, Kaishio)

CG <- anything that is purely made in computer graphics. (Appleseed movies, Vexille, Final Fantasy VII, Archetypes Forces, Fireball, Galerians: Rion, etc.)

Brave series <- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_series (Brave Exkaiser, The Brave Fighter of Sun Fighbird, The Brave Fighter of Legend Da-Garn , The Brave Express Might Gaine, Brave Police J-Decker, The Brave of Gold Goldran, Brave Command Dagwon, The King of Braves GaoGaiGar) (requested by Harbin)

Existing: Idols <- should probably include movie actors and such too not just music
Yandere <- Should probably go as it can be a spoiler if told and is currently not in use for anime but is for manga with ONE title...

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd agree with the noitaminA one, I don't think making a tag based on a programming block would be suitable.
The rest sound good (I know I would use the short eps tag).

We also need a yuri tag. There's a yaoi tag, a shounen-ai tag, and a shoujo-ai tag, but no yuri tag.

the thing is it's not just ANY programing block. it's one of the most popular ones that focus on really niche titles and I'd argue one of the only ones that people care about where an anime is from

the thing is it's not just ANY programing block. it's one of the most popular ones that focus on really niche titles and I'd argue one of the only ones that people care about where an anime is from

I have to agree with all, including noitaminA. I KNOW that people would search for those anime.

Dystopia REALLY needs to come back because I would love to use that tag. However, I can imagine it was left off because of the confusion it can create.

For instance, Berserk is actually not a dystopia. Dystopias are places that are socially engineered to be repressive and/or totalitarian and/or anarchic and are metaphors the creators of the story use to make a point about real society. In NTHT, King Hamdo takes people's freedoms and makes kids into soldiers for his own selfish needs and the show thereby makes a point about imperialism. Same with Toward the Terra TV, where a computer is controlling human breeding to avoid Mu mutations but this leads to the removal of human rights. Or Kaiba, where people assume that the revolutionary memory-manipulating technology will make life easier but weak controls mean it's used for terrible purposes and leads to tragedy.

Berserk, on the other hand, is merely a primitive medieval society with demons and shit. It may still be a terrible place to live but nobody is making it so and there is no political message behind the setting. So Claymore is also not a dystopia, nor Darker than Black, Kaiji, NGE, Afro Samurai, nor any other show where people may merely think 'Ah, that'd be a shit place to live.' But shows like Code Geass, Akira, Bubblegum Crisis, Metropolis, TTGL, and others with political/social commentary in the setting certainly are.

Finally, we'd need to ensure historical shows are not included in this tag. Rose of Versailles may appear to have all the characteristics of a dystopia, but it is actually a real society rather than a fictional metaphor.

so ive wanted something like video game adaptation for awhile now, but theres a problem with how it's worded. people might get what it means here, but video game adaptation is meant anywhere outside (such as in the game industry) to mean a video game version of something - for example, if an inception video game came out after the movie, they call it a video game adaptation [of something is implied]

what it would mean here, i assume, it 'adapted from a video game', but its not anywhere as simple to say that. any thoughts?

update: after posting this, i kept searching, and found that the term does seem to sometimes be used the other way around as well (example: ROTTEN TOMATOES: Best Video Game Adaptations)

hmm, so maybe its interchangable? confusing

update 2: i now am re-reading and see that the tag would be used in both directions - ie, if a game was made after an anime, the anime still gets the tag? id find that to be very confusing. pokemon was a long running anime/manga first and spawned a zillion games, but seeing 'video game adaptation' implies that it was made because of a game.

...pokemon was a long running anime/manga first and spawned a zillion games,...
lolwut? The original pokemon games came first, then the anime, then the manga, then some games inspired by the anime.

As far as "game adaptations", I think it's all about context.
You could just go for "video game", although that could include ones which focus on playing video games, in addition to ones based on games.
Perhaps "game inspired"?

Video Game Version would be best and include both sides of the definition for the tag

imo people would love to know if their favourite anime has a video game attached to it or not. weather it came before or after is left up to them to figure out if they are interested

Pokemon was a video game first btw :P 1995 (japan) 1996 (US) and the anime came out in 1997

The only way you could possibly make it clear that one comes before and the other is an adaptation would be using 2 different tags:
Original Video Game < meaning the anime spawned FROM a game
Video Game Adaptation <- meaning it spawned a game made from the anime

Edit: The same adjustment can be made for the Visual Novel Tag too although I honestly think putting them all under one tag being Visual Novel Version would be best

Game inspired sounds like a better idea I think. What I think you are going for are things like Persona, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss, .Hack (I think), the Ar Tonelico OVA.

Where Video Game->Anime. Because if Anime -> Video Game is included that would include most modern anime. I mean Ore no Imouto, Toradora (for example) started out as anime and then got video games released on the PSP for them.

My suggestion, if there's going to be two different tags or they're supposed to be "one-way" is to use the tags MU uses (or something similar), which are "Based on a ..." when dealing with derivative work and "Adapted to..." if a work as spawned any adaptations.

This thread seems kind of dead, but if possible I would love to see Gothic as a tag; I've suggested this before and was told to visit the Cyberpunk section which is equally awesome, but most certainly not the same thing. Any chance of my request being considered? :)

No, not really, I mean like the overall tone of the story. I know that few Anime are truly gothic, but unless my memory is fatally flawed I do recall 'Le Portrait De Petite Cossette' being somewhat gothic. And there's always the Studio 4c short movie 'Comedy'. I could only think of 2, but I'm sure many others can name more titles. If enough examples are gathered, then perhaps it could at least be considered. Oh, and I guess it's a matter of taste, but I would personally call Blood: The Last Campire gothic!

Le Portrait De Petite Cossette you just consider Gothic because of the girl imo. it's mainly just a horror supernatural anime with twists. I can't see where you are coming from with Blood the last vampire though. Dark tone sure but yeah not gothic at all.

Comedy has the elements of a true gothic for sure. I'd personally add in Gilgamesh but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned and Monster of Frankenstein too.

Perhaps taking a look at the Medieval tag might help you find more anime similar to gothic because looking at wiki i get a sense that it's mainly a book/movie genre and medieval anime tend to have what I think you are looking for from the gothic genre included in them. I'd go so far as searching for medieval and fantasy anime and seeing which titles have both tags attatched

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back