Yowamushi Pedal

Starting this against my better judgment because I like cycling.
Dude fell over on a drum trainer while his wheels were still apparently spinning fairly fast? Does everyone in this universe ride like a three year old?

And then he challenges someone to a race who is obviously just a commuter. I guess he's like those people who feel like they have to speed past commuters as close as possible to somehow prove to the world that they're superior.

Surprisingly entertaining first episode despite my brain telling me that it has shown no indication of being a good show. I hope I can enjoy it to the end. :)

I read the manga (which doesn't update enough), and this series is actually pretty good for a sports anime.

Episode 1

That was way more enjoyable than Ace of Diamond. It was funnier, with a less cringe worthy lead and it was written far more believably than the prior mentioned anime as well. The two apparent leads are nicely contrasting to each other and surprisingly the fact that there is another girl to support the '''potential love interest'' makes for a more vibrant lively female role in this anime than most sports anime manage at least in their first episode. The character designs were pretty interesting as well while still playing it save by being basically the standard anime designs. ( a little extra moe on the girl designs though, but I'm not complaining )

Episode 1
Awkward, the Anime.
Other than that, this was just fine.
Still, what's with people being all "bike 45 kilometers? Impossibru!"
Sure, there's plenty slopes and stuff, but it is far from impossible if you're in any remotely decent shape. It should be even less of a problem if there's equally as many downhills.
The granny bike is the only thing that makes it seem particularly hard.

I appreciate the compliment, Brad, but my crappy physique does not deserve such praise.
:laugh:
At the pace that he goes,(which was noted as pretty slow) you do not need to be a super athlete.
And with such great weather, and minimal wind resistance, I'd totally take that trip weekly.
:love:
So long as you're not trying to race then your motivation is what generally is the most important thing.
Because, well, it's kind of an abysmal chore if you're not really up for it.

I'm not making light of the distance, but I myself actually go such a length frequently in the summer... that is when the weather isn't shitty all the fucking time!
:flip:
And I get the "wow, you must be in such a great shape" line all the time whenever I mention it. I'm not. Have me go for a jog for a kilometer and I'll be in agony. My lungs have always been pretty weak.
This, however, does not prevent me from going slow and steady.
My longest trip is well over 100 kilometers of totally slopes and hills.
Now that wears me out! Crazy acing in thighs, knees and calves.
And I don't own one of those fancy race bikes.
I've always felt envious of how those things speed past me so quickly without the cyclists seeming to put in too much effort.
I'm in the process of looking for one to buy though. Probably won't get to use it before next spring/summer, but it is now that they're the cheapest.

I'm only saying that treating that distance as impossible is odd.

He's also just a dude, and 28miles is a hell of a distance for the average person. He's someone who hates sports, the only exercise he gets is likely to be cycling, and he see's it as a means to an end rather than something he does for enjoyment or as a workout. For him to do that kind of ride, on that bike, in such an effortless manner is pretty surprising. Most people's legs will be burning halfway into the way there, never mind the round trip.

I like that Miki and....and....black hair realised just how great an achievment that was for someone like him.
Naturally, but my point was that I too have a crappy physique. I'll shamefully say that I have below average physique, yet I'm still capable of pulling off similar feats without reaching exhaustion.
I mostly spend the rest of the year, and the summers too, just sitting on my ass.

I cycle that kind of distance regularly as well, and it really isn't something too hard for someone who has a decent level of fitness. But like you say, if you tell someone you cycled 45km they would be all "whaaaat? No way? You must be, like, super fit". But the key thing to remember here is that giant slope that he had to get over at the start of the journey, they went through great lengths to get across just how impossible an incline that is to get up at the best of times, with the best equipment, let alone for a little otaku geek on a shitty old ladies bike.

Look at how tired black hair was after the slope, and he didn't have another 40km+ to go afterwards. That's the main impressive part of the feat. Along with the bike having the wrong tires and a lack of suitable gears. They specifically showed black hair going into the right gear at the slope, a gear that wouldn't be on that lady bike.
Keep in mind that black-hair was "sprinting" up the hill though. That will obviously be very physically demanding no matter who you are or what bike you ride.
Our hero clearly went at a way slower pace. But yes, that hill is the one "wow" worthy feat. However, after clearing that hill I do not really see what the "impossible" is supposed to be.

100km is about 60 miles, which is what i do in the summer. I live in a coastal town, so the wind can get pretty insane, try cycling that far against the wind. Your legs feel like they've been lit on fire with jet fuel or something :pokerface:

I've never had a roadbike, i just use my trials bike that i've had for years. The tires are beefy so it's really hard work, but i prefer the workout to taking it easy, which is why i've never invested in one. I have used my dad's road bike before though, and it's waaaay too easy for me, i'd have to go double the distance to get a workout.
I live in a coastal town as well, so I know what you mean. I'm pretty picky with the weather conditions though, which is why I'm planning to get such a bike to reduce the amount of time it takes.
Then I'd may be able to do the 100 kilometer trip without having to spend so many trips just to "warm up".
The biggest downside with those though is that cycling without using hands is obviously way harder. I enjoy cycling without hands. I tend to spend like 70% of my trips without touching the grip. Helps prevent... important blood flow getting crippled.

But a trials bike, dude? You mean these things?
They don't look comfortable for longer trips at all.
I use what I believe is a hybrid or something.

Like BB, my physique and equipment are nothing special and never have been. Yet before I learned to use gears properly, I rarely took my mountain bike out of the most difficult gear. I grew up in a hilly region of Utah (not the mountainous area), which probably has more difficult slopes than the Tokyo area. I generally found it easier to generate extra torque for the hills than to move my legs more quickly and engage my aerobic system. I still tend to spin at a slower cadence than most people, but it was extreme until I was in college. Young bodies also have incredible regenerative abilities.

As far as equipment goes, a well-maintained city bike like Onada's isn't too much worse than a race bike when attacking a hill. Road bikes gain their advantage mostly in high speed situations (by having lower rolling and wind resistance), so the main disadvantages likely to be working against Onada were weight and gearing.

The closest I have to a road bike is a flat bar cyclocross bike with a spare wheelset for city riding, and it increases my speed maybe 10% when compared to me riding on my regular commuter (a 1x7 mountain bike with a '90s bottom of the barrel freewheel-type hub). The cyclocross is actually a little harder to climb steep hills with despite being an XT/Ultegra build VS a mix of low end components purchased for minimal money, weighing about 50% more than the cyclocross bike with the touring wheelset. I assume this is just the wheel diameter at work, as the cyclocross is 700c while the commuter is 26" (650c).

What I'm trying to say is that this scenario isn't too far-fetched for a regular (if unusually determined) person to pull off.

really enjoying the comedy in the show.
everytime Onoda and Imaizumi share the scene i burst out laughing. The manager girl on the other hand seems like she might be a pain.

Episode 2
Really enjoying this. The humor is quite fine too. The girl kinda annoys me, but it's mostly drowned out by the rest.
I think one of the best things I could actually say is that I felt really disappointed when the episode wanted. I wanted MOAR!
:drool::drool::drool:
So yeah, seems this might turn out pretty darn good after all.

Episode 2

Entertaining.

The ending skit was particularly informative this time around.

Wow. I started watching this so I could laugh at how terrible they were at bike related stuff, but they've really done their research. As someone pointed out elsewhere on the forum today, I mostly say negative things about anime I'm watching, but I'll make it clear: this anime is actually one of my favorites this season.

Now for the inconsequential rambling:
Rotational inertia and overall rider+bike weight to power ratio is the actual key to climbing speed on a long incline like that, but Imaizumi was half right. He being more than a head taller than Onada means he's probably heavier, so the question becomes whether or not Onada's muscles have the power to overcome the rotational inertia of his heavy wheels and lack of hill gears with a weight difference of maybe 2/3rds of what Imaizumi calculated. Once he gets past the inertia problem, the wheels become an asset and help him fight the gearing disadvantage better. If he gets into his body's comfortable spinning range, then it becomes an even race.

I was thinking about the challenge though, and there's no outcome where Imaizumi looks like a winner. Either he challenged a somewhat chubby nerd to a race and flattens him (in which case he looks like a jerk), or he loses and looks like an idiot. And then has to join the anime club. Then again, teenagers are crazy (but we still love you, teen A-P members), so I shouldn't expect him to have thought this through.

I didn't come here for a bike lesson god damnit! :flip:

Just kidding, I enjoyed reading all your stories. And if you told me that you cycled 45km I wouldn't probably think anything, since I didn't ride bikes that much and have no Idea how hard it is to ride long distances. I was more of a roller skates guy :drink:

Back