the hobbit........

r18

Ojii-san
i have heard rumors of an up coming movie adaption of the hobbit being filmed in new zeland and also a ....sort of filler that covers the 40-50 years between the hobbit and the lotr so ....with all the hype from the last films what does anyone think of this....it seems a lot harder sell for the hobbit as it is a fairly light hearted book compared to lotr....so might have some problems ....and the fill in movie ...well it's rather open ended as there is no book to adapt....but has good possibilities as the book left lots of room to work with....

http://the-hobbit-movie.com/

Hm yeah they are supposedly making two movies of the Hobbit, and I'm looking forward to them. I was a bit skeptical when I first heard Peter Jackson wasn't on the billing but then when he came back it settled it for me, especially as Guillem Del Toro is producing too.
I think the Hobbit, as a story, is more enjoyable and more lighthearted than LOTR so hopefully, with two of the best directors of the moment, it will be a great adaptation.

:D

Edit: Just realised, its your 1 year anniversary R-18 :D

oh yeah 1 year of mindless babbling....it make you wonder how someone with so little to say can go on so much....

i think the "bridging" film has lots of good possibilities the book mentioned lots of comings and goings with elves and dwarfs...and various trips to and from rivendale....so an adventure story no doubt....

I'd have to say it may come across as a bit light-hearted but I also think it's a tad bit dark as well because it's mainly about a set of travelers taking a journey to take back their home. The Hobbit also deals with a lot more tragedy then LoTR, the result of the last battle is a perfect example.

I also think The Hobbit will be 10 times more violent then LoTR. I've read the book more times then I'd wish to mention and can already assume where the breaking point between the 2 movies will be but overall, I want to see the Battle of the Five Armies... don't care what anyone says..... and Smaug, WTF doesn't want to see Smaug in action?!?!

The Hobbit also deals with a lot more tragedy then LoTR, the result of the last battle is a perfect example.

Boromir, Theoden, Denethor?

Quizap said:
I also think The Hobbit will be 10 times more violent then LoTR.

Sure it will have the Battle of Five Armies, which should be epic, but it pales in comparison to the battles of LotR like the Battle of the Hornburg and Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

The Hobbit (2012)

Looky at the director.... it will be awesome if they let Del Torro have his way and take it down a dark path, kind of akin to Pan's Labyrinth ^^

H.

Id have to disagree because then it wouldnt fit in with the lotr movies and it wouldnt flow smoothly between them...

But the Hobbit was almost a stand alone book compare to LOTR. The writing style was aimed at kids, and almost fairytale like. The tone of the story also lends itself to a darker direction, so I hope Del Torro doesn't have his vision toned down by a Holywood studio >.<

H.

But the Hobbit was almost a stand alone book compare to LOTR. The writing style was aimed at kids, and almost fairytale like. The tone of the story also lends itself to a darker direction, so I hope Del Torro doesn't have his vision toned down by a Holywood studio >.<

H.

It was aimed at kids and was fairy tale like but I dont think that the tone was really all that dark, though parts of the story went in a darker direction.

Boromir, Theoden, Denethor?

That's just 3 people and related people for that matter.

Half of the thirteen dwarves end up dead at the end of the battle, including Thorin himself, especially while he was dying of his wounds, he realized the mistake he made. Lake Town, it was practically annihilated save for the select group of humans that banded together and raise an army to demand payment for the destruction of the village.

Their capture in the caves of the Misty Mountains and of how Gollum emotionally breaks down after realizing he's lost the ring. I may be completely wrong but didn't Beorn die as well during the battle? Or did he beat ass and just walk away? I can't remember, it's been several years since I've seen it.

Overall I view the major deaths at the end of the book the major tragedy that occurs. Everything they went through, then achieving, only to lose it by the own deaths is pretty harsh and tragic in my eyes.

I'm also curious to find out how they go about from the Humans, Elves, and Dwarves go about from having a three way slaughterfest to shaking hands and attacking the orcs who attack them only to start losing and win due to the eagles coming to help.

Regardless of how the film comes out, I'm super excited to see it and Smaug in action.

And the actual battle? It'll be better then LoTR's because it goes from Dwarves vs Humans vs Elves to Humans, Elves, Dwarves vs Orcs to we're losing so the Eagles come and save the day. Also, LoTR's battles were based on large armies vs small armies and EVERY battle in it consisted of a siege whereas The Hobbit's all meet on a field and just simply duke it out Braveheart Style.

the thing about the lotr was i was multiple stories but the hobbit was a more personnel story....the team started together and stayed together to the end....and even though the battles are not as epic as lotr the nature of the battle as a war between those who should be allies makes it far worse than a battle of ancient enemies...some have said the happy singing sort of goofy elves in the hobbit did not fit their idea of elves ....but at the time of the hobbit their had been peace and plenty for a long time ...no dark lord and the goblins where in the caves and only a minor problem at that time ...so naturally at that time the elves where more layed back.....

There is a lot of dark brutality in the Hobbit that is glazed over purposefully. I can only imagine what a movie could focus on if the director wanted to pit it down a darker path: i.e. racism, greed, and murder (golem choking to death orcs is one of the moments that comes to mind) are just a few of the glazed over themes.

Since nobody has been keeping up with this, I might as well post.

Jackson is back to directing.
Pics of all 13 dwarves have been slowly released this past week, and all are up as of this morning.

Jed Brophy as Nori
Adam Brown as Ori
Mark Hadlow as Dori

Dori, Nori & Ori
These three brothers, all sons of the same mother, could not be more different from each other. Dori, the oldest, spends much of his time watching out for Ori, the youngest; making sure he’s not caught a chill or got himself killed by Wargs or Goblins. Nobody quite knows what Nori gets up to most of the time, except that it’s guaranteed to be dodgy and quite probably, illegal. Dori, Nori and Ori are intensely loyal to each other – and whilst they are perfectly happy fighting amongst themselves, woe-betide anyone who means harm to one of these brothers.
thdws01s.jpg

John Callen as Oin
Peter Hambleton as Gloin

Oin & Gloin
Distant cousins of Thorin Oakenshield, these two doughty Northern Dwarves join the Company out of a sense of loyalty to their kin, and also because they have a substantial sum of money invested in the venture. Along with Bombur, Gloin is the only other married Dwarf in the Company (there being a shortage of female dwarves in general). His wife is an acclaimed beauty with a particularly fine beard. Gloin is the proud father of a young son, Gimli, who will go on to become part of the famous Fellowship of the Ring.
thdws02s.jpg

Dean O'Gorman as Fili
Aidan Turner as Kili

Fili & Kili
Two of the youngest Dwarves, Fili and Kili have been born into the royal line of Durin and raised under the stern guardianship of their uncle, Thorin Oakensheild. Neither has ever travelled far, nor ever seen the fabled Dwarf City of Erebor. For both, the journey to the Lonely Mountain represents adventure and excitement. Skilled fighters, both brothers set off on their adventure armed with the invincible courage of youth, neither being able to imagine the fate which lies before them.
thdws03s.jpg

Stephen Hunter as Bombur
James Nesbitt as Bofur
William Kircher as Bifur

Bifur, Bofur & Bombur
While most of the Company of Thorin Oakensheild is related to the royal and noble line of Durin, Bofur, his brother Bombur and their cousin Bifur most definitely are … not. Born and bred in the West, descendants of coal miners and iron workers, they have joined the Quest for the Lonely Mountain partly to seek their fortune and partly because they were told the beer was free.

thdws04s.jpg

Ken Stott as Balin
Graham McTavish as Dwalin

Balin & Dwalin
Dwarf Lords in their own right, Balin and Dwalin are close relatives of Thorin. Beyond this, these brothers are two of his most loyal and trusted friends. An old warrior, Balin has lived through hard times and fought many battles, yet he harbors doubts about the wisdom of the Quest to retake the Lonely Mountain. Dwalin has no such forebodings – his belief in Thorin’s leadership is unshakeable. A powerful and bruising fighter, with a natural tendency to distrust anyone who is not a Dwarf, particularly anyone who might be an Elf, Dwalin is not someone to cross lightly.

thdws05s.jpg

Richard Armitage as Thorin

Thorin
As a young Dwarf prince, Thorin witnessed the destruction and terror wrought when a great fire-breathing Dragon attacked the Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor. After slaughtering many of Thorin’s kin, the great serpent, Smaug, entered The Lonely Mountain and took possession of its vast store of gold and jewels. No-one came to the aid of the surviving Dwarves, and thus, a once proud and noble race was forced into exile. Through long years of hardship, Thorin grew to be a strong and fearless fighter and revered leader. In his heart a fierce desire grew; a desire to reclaim his homeland and destroy the beast that had brought such misery upon his people. So when fate offers him an unusual ally, he seizes the chance for revenge.

thdws06s.jpg

:laugh:
Sure, if you want to be illogical about it and live in a fantasy realm.

It's filmed there, beyond that, no, it's not.

Back