Kaiji II: Hakairoku-hen

LinkSword

POPEE BELIEVER
Kaiji II: Hakairoku-hen

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

____

No way I'm letting anyone ninja me in doing this thread. :laugh:

I'm so anxious to watch the first episode. I've read the first chapter of Hakairoku-hen, which is kind of an introduction to the current situation, but episode one of the anime will probably cover quite a bit more than that. I'm not sure how I'm going to get to watch this on Wednesday given how busy my next week is, but I'll make sure to cut those 20 minutes from somewhere.

Anyhow I can barely wait. :banana:

Well, after seeing episode one I feel that it is already safe to assume that season two will retain the same level of quality as the first season, looks like we are still treated with the same unique atmosphere and similar music.

Watching this series while it's airing will be tough, the suspense is going to kill me!

Waiting drives me nuts! Mouhahahahahaahahahahahahahaha!! >:D
I'm betting an ear that it's going to be awesome! @.@'

Waiting drives me nuts! Mouhahahahahaahahahahahahahaha!! >:D
I'm betting an ear that it's going to be awesome! @.@'

That is a bet you would win. The atmosphere, music and everything else that made the first season back seems to be back

Also what the hell is up with this? Although after all the tension it was a nice little laugh.

YouTube - Kaiji Hakairoku-hen ENDING

Man Kaiji, you have the self control of a child, you couldn't even make it one day without blowing your money. So now it's going to be a dice game. If the dice aren't loaded it's a game of chance so I'm sure how Kaiji could manipulate this to his advantage, of course the dice probably have been tampered with.

I watched it, Kaiji is just a looser as ever. Tempted to get into debt just the rest of them suckers. And of course, his only way out will be a gamble.

Only thing I didn't like about this was how rushed it felt. There was no speech by the old man and there was no Kaiji trying to lure Endoh into the open. It just jumped right into Kaiji being sent down into the camp, and I think that was a bit too jarring.
SEASON 2 SPOILERS
I don't understand why they're seemingly rushing to the Pachinko arc...that shit draaaaged. This season needs less episodes dedicated to watching balls bounce around in a bowl not more.

That was zawesome, I always love Fukumoto's mindgames and psychological manipulation. Actually they used this part about the Perica's, beer, etc. in the live-action movie (just before the Brave Men Road... talk about messing with the original material), but it was so much better in this episode.

Kaiji may seem like an idiot, but everyone falls in the same trick and it's difficult not to. I don't know what I'd do in his situation... Well, maybe it'd be easier for me to resist since:

-I've always been stubborn as hell.
-I don't drink, so some water like they have everyday would do for me.

But it's nearly impossible to relate given how extreme his plight is and the fact the plan to tie them down forever is clever and well thought out.

Anyways the atmosphere it still damn strong and I'm sure it's only going to get thicker and darker from now on, just like the first season did.

Only thing I didn't like about this was how rushed it felt. There was no speech by the old man and there was no Kaiji trying to lure Endoh into the open. It just jumped right into Kaiji being sent down into the camp, and I think that was a bit too jarring.

Yeah, I read only the first chapter of the manga and was expecting to see some Hyoudou goodness, but unfortunately that didn't show up. I bet they will show it at some point though, it seems much of an important plot key as to leave it out.

---

Also, fuckdamn at the chick. That's goddamn ugly even for a Fukumoto woman lol.

It's been a while since I've seen something as disturbing/gross as this:

kaijilol.jpg

And seeing his reaction I'd bet four fingers, an ear and a scar in my left cheek that Kaiji thought the same.

Funny ending though. The music for the opening that sounded during the S1 review seemed pretty great, I can't wait to see the actual thing next week. Also female Zawa's sound nice.

Yeah, the jump from simply gambling to survive (S1) to being completely addicted (S2) felt a little abrupt. There should have been an episode devoted to his downward spiral.

Anyways, as to ep1, you'd think the guy would have learned a little more street smarts or common sense by now :)

Hopeless. lol :D

ED girl (or is it a guy?) is scary.

fuckdamn at the chick. That's goddamn ugly even for a Fukumoto woman lol.
It's been a while since I've seen something as disturbing/gross as this:

kaijilol.jpg

And seeing his reaction I'd bet four fingers, an ear and a scar in my left cheek that Kaiji thought the same.

Funny ending though. The music for the opening that sounded during the S1 review seemed pretty great, I can't wait to see the actual thing next week. Also female Zawa's sound nice.

So your saying you wouldn't hit that?

captaincrunch said:
Yeah, the jump from simply gambling to survive (S1) to being completely addicted (S2) felt a little abrupt. There should have been an episode devoted to his downward spiral.

Although I agree with this I think we could already see the beginning of this downfall when

He was resenting losing to Hyoudou and swearing he'd come back and beat him. At that moment he was still thinking like ''What if I had done this or that or realized the other thing? I would have WON!!!'' and that's the attitude of a sore loser who can't really accept he was defeated. At that moment he was already on the way to becoming a ''game junkie'' as Endou defined him now. I guess realizing the trick behind the lottery really screwed him up for good as he was a true man when he accepted his loss earlier before his four fingers got cut off.

Anyhow at that moment Kaiji was more epic than he was lamentable so I suppose it's kind of hard to see the connection.

Marius2000 said:
So your saying you wouldn't hit that?

Of course I would. Give me a pair of boxer gloves and I'll beat the crap out of ''it''.
I'll even pull a Souryuuken or a might combo on her if you want lol...

Heh... I guess I'm being a bit too cruel with her even though she has yet to appear in the show, but knowing Fukumoto she's bound to be a bitch anyways. A horrendous one to boot.

The scene in the ed is actually a scene from the 3rd manga series. I have no idea why they used it.

As if it weren't enough to see the ending... Seriously captain, stop trying to make me stab my own eyes, will ya? xD

The scene in the ed is actually a scene from the 3rd manga series. I have no idea why they used it.

Maybe it's their way of saying they have plans for S3 too, as someone suggested in some other forum. I wouldn't hold my breath for that though. I suppose they just found it hilarious so they trolled us all into seeing the endless beauty of Kaiji's ''lovely damsel''.

^ What is that? Seriously? What the fuck is that? *shudder*

As for the show, I agree with Adam on the first episode feeling rushed, but I'm assuming they, like us, were eager to reach the action as quickly as possible. Moreover, it is oh so good to be back in Kaiji-land, where melodrama truly means eating some crisps in the most incredibly AWE-INSPIRING FRIGHTENING HOLY SHIT way ever. I was like 'No! Kaiji don't drink the beer! Don't drink the beer! OMG don't drink the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!'

What I also adore is how they avoided toying with the animation too much. The environments look more natural (some of the CGI in the original was icky) and the characters have more detail in them, but the general tone and feel of the show is exactly as I remembered. God I love you, Madhouse. Cannot wait to see how Kaiji gets out of this one, the poor sucker.

^ Shit that's actually supposed to be a woman? I thought it was a joke tranny.

Back