Gatchaman Crowds

hoffstyle

[sadht]Gatchaman Crowds[/sadht]
[sadhl]Gatchaman Crowds[/sadhl]

50831.jpg

I'll post the OP because there's still no PV.
Gatchaman Crowds

It's finally here, and it is undeniably Gatchaman.

Episode 1
There are NO Birdsuits, but the symbolism, emblems and logos, and the 70's kitsch of the original series are definitely present in a brand new wrapper.

To say it is also "quirky" is an understatement.

But this is a good thing. Gatchaman needed a serious updating and it got itself one.

There's some seriously laugh out loud moments that caught me off guard. But word of warning:

If you're looking for a carbon copy you are NOT going to get one. It's its own series.

It's an original story, so yeah you can watch this without watching the original. The only thing is, there is a lot of love thrown to the source that those unfamiliar with Gatchaman will miss out on. But that's about it.

They do a good job of explaining what's going on for everyone because there are some fundamental changes to the way their powers work.

I've seen the first episode... and I'm not interested. OP was okay, though.

Maybe I'll give it a try some other time... if someone recommends it to me.

The whole team is rather strange. I would gather this isn't going to appeal to a lot of people in its quirk factor..and the 40 Year Old G-Force Nerds are already throwing screaming hissy fits about the changes to the G-Suits and the powers.

I like it though. I don't think they really haven't gotten to the true action scenes yet.

Things that I nostalgia'ed over:
The Transformation wristwatches have been replaced with notebooks, usage resulting in rainbow colored transformation scenes.

The fact that the Blonde kid is Jun the Swan

I found the OST cool, but the one thing that bugged me was the non-stop "Gatcha-Gatcha-Gatcha"

Hrm.

Episode 1.

Okay, the animation is ... inconsistent. Sometimes sloppy sometimes wooden.
( especially the 3d models were wooden )

The artstyle seems reminicent of Ghibli's works, especially the earlier ones, but it's sloppier in terms of art conistency the in between frames are far less qualitative than one would expect for a 2013. anime.

The atmoshphere is certainly sufficiently interesting and the character designs and shading is pretty different from the norm making it rather refreshing.

The female lead is pretty much portrayed as a braindead genkigirl, not much to her and I can't say I like it.

Can't give input on mister ''perfect'' snarky love interest yet, he doesn't seem that interesting despite all his screentime.

The setting seems okay and holds potential. The character designs while sloppy most of the time for the supporting cast are quite good, the other forms are mostly 3d models who don't look bad either.

The supporting cast seems okay, the panda creature being rather ''token'' so to speak.

Overall, I think this series has potential but I'm not expecting great things out of it, I could be wrong though,as always I've been wrong before.

I think the thing with Hajime is she is going to have to grow. The glue holding this all together is teamwork and I have a feeling she is going to blossom as it goes.

Etue is right about the inconsistent animation.

Upon a second viewing the Gatchaman-Gatchaman-Gatchaman is pretty damn catchy.

And I better get a whirlwind pyramid damnit.

Just started this... and...Holy shit, this does not feel like Gatchaman yet. I am not sure what this looks like. Guess I better save judgement till I get to the end.

This series is really polarizing from what I've seen. Either everything is quirky and fun and Hajime is fantastic, or everything is fucking stupid and ugly, and Hajime is the most annoying character in existence.

Well, Not sure why they even call it Gatchaman.
Galactor? Not here
Wrist watches? Not here
Trained ninja? Not here
Fucking Big Ass Ship they flew around in?
God_Phoenix___G5_by_cosedimarco.jpg

Half of the show was the ship to ship (or mecha) fights.
What the alien race is there for? Not the same
Fuckin panda Not in original
We no longer have a team of 4 in their late teans and one boy, We have a team of 5 with two still in highschool and one in a swimsuit for some reason.
Where is this guy?

he was the lead commander, not some Panda.

This series is really polarizing from what I've seen. Either everything is quirky and fun and Hajime is fantastic, or everything is fucking stupid and ugly, and Hajime is the most annoying character in existence.

I'll go with quirky and fun. Hajime takes airhead to a whole new level but she is just an awesome to character to me. So much has happened to her in just one day and she still doesn't show a single ounce of shock or disbelief. I can't wait to see her fight.

to me Hajime was one of the most annoying chars ever, like one of those people with a lot of issues, they try to hide all that with being loud, seemingly optimistic, and quirky .
The Gatchaman design is fantastic, the antagonist has hopefully same flair like Grell (Kuroshitsuji)

Funkgun, to be fair the wristwatches are the NOTE they carry. They even have the rainbow colored transformation scenes just without sparkles.

Everything I have seen in the first episode definitely screams Gatchaman to me. Like I said, the Bird Suits being replaced was ok because they retain the bird theme of the original.

Does it really have to be the same right down to the Phoenix? I personally don't think so.

I mean Berg Katse (Zoltar) is even in it, still of questionable gender, and still assumably evil as hell.

Hajime's mouth is desined to remind you of the old helmet visors for Pete's sake :>

Not arguing by the way, but I do see the similarities..they do exist.

Funkgun, to be fair the wristwatches are the NOTE they carry. They even have the rainbow colored transformation scenes just without sparkles.

Everything I have seen in the first episode definitely screams Gatchaman to me. Like I said, the Bird Suits being replaced was ok because they retain the bird theme of the original.

Does it really have to be the same right down to the Phoenix? I personally don't think so.

I mean Berg Katse (Zoltar) is even in it, still of questionable gender, and still assumably evil as hell.

Hajime's mouth is desined to remind you of the old helmet visors for Pete's sake :>

Not arguing by the way, but I do see the similarities..they do exist.
Hoff buddy, you are arguing similarities if you say it is screaming Gatchaman. But because it is you, and you do know the show, I can not argue that you might be a bit more correct than many others.
I tip my hat, you probably have a point.

How about this, it has some homages so far, but not a lot yet. And it might have more.
As for a show itself?
If not comparing it to Gatchaman It is pretty fun. hajime is annoying as shit, but so was the main guy in Stiens gate, and I came to love him, so i will give her time.

Berg is probably the only thing that is similar. Almost None of the other characters are like the old cast.
There might be a bit of one with joe. He was the quiet recluse with a rough past in Gatchaman.

For me anyhow, the phoenix was part of the show. it was sold, and put in many of the adverts, toys and posters. I had a toy from the Battle of the Planets line in the late 70's.
Now honestly I hope they have it later in the series. Or something like it, But yes, many of the episodes had them fighting in small ships or the huge titular main ship. Infact when they destroyed the original Phoenix, they replaced it with another even bigger ship.
Ok, so there was a Tank,
A dune Buggy, a Motor Bike thing Jun flew, a ship Ken was in. When the characters transformed, so did their vehicle. Basically this would be Power Rangers without the machines. Gatchaman (G-Force) 1972 Episode 1 "Gatchaman Versus Turtle King" English Dub Full Episode - YouTube

Once again they did not fight one villain at a time, they fought a horde of nameless soldiers
Gatchaman (G-Force) 1972 Episode 1 "Gatchaman Versus Turtle King" English Dub Full Episode - YouTube
and or a massive big ship like mecha thing. Once in a while they fought one or two bad guys. They also fought mind controlled kids and other fun stuff.

I do see the bird elblem of her mouth, and you are right, that in all reality it does not have to be the exact same series to carry the badge. I do hope it has a few other homages though to truly carry the Gatchaman label. =)

Back