The Severing Crime Edge

Aranneas

The Severing Crime Edge
Alt title: Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here

=================================================================

really been looking forward to this one. I absolutely adore the manga, which is something that came completely out of left field for me - the premise sounds absolutely ridiculous, after all. as it turns out, though, it's surprisingly complex, tons of fun, and gradually grows in maturity over the run.

never seen anything by the studio before, though, so that has me a bit nervous. I only really know them for moe, which is a decent fit for the art style (and the PVs look pretty darn good, I must say :D) but not at all encouraging when it comes to the series' themes.

Re: Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge

well I can only hype it so much without threatening to shoot myself in the foot later :sweat:

but the manga definitely has my full recommendation. hopefully that means something to at least a few. check it out if you read at all. buy it if you can and want to support the creator - it's apparently not very easy to get hold of here.

and, of course, it's only available in Japanese for now :/ hopefully a successful anime adaptation will help change that? :D

Just saw the first episode. Didn't enjoy it at all. I think I'm going to have to drop this after one episode.

The PV looks kind of interesting.
And also kind of like a hair fetish series.

But mainly I have no idea why they're so obsessed with thinning scissors. Why is he trying to use them on her in the first place? Her hair in neither layered nor curly, and if he tries to cut her hair using only those, she's going to look like she got attacked by a lawnmover. I AM SO CONFUSED.

Is this show a comedy? Cause if it is, I'll check it out. Like Cuticle Detective Inaba or something.

I can say that the first episode at least wasn't funny. It tried putting some jokes in there, but it really seemed like they are trying too hard with overused jokes. I get the impression that it will try to be pretty serious.

Episode 1
Well, that guy got some serious hair fetish. He acts like some kind of serial murderer sometimes... :P

The behavior of the characters is really strange and unnatural. If there would stand a total stranger in your garden acting strangely with a scissor, you won't let him in that easily. Right? The guy and the girl grew also pretty much close really fast.
I'm not certain I'll keep watching... Hopefully it gets 'more mature' soon.

^
if they follow the manga's pacing it will take several turns for the dark in quick succession quite soon.

one thing you have to keep in mind is that it never stops being over the top - it would be impossible to pull that off with this framework :P so if by 'mature' you're hoping for 'completely believable' I will be very surprised if they pull that off

but the manga, at least, fast grows aware of its quirks and gradually develops within the boundaries the setting created.

as for how they become so close so quickly...
it should already be obvious that Kiri's a bit of an oddball. he doesn't have much of a feel for how social situations are 'supposed' to go. certainly not when there's that much hair involved :P

and Iwai has been cooped up in that house with only the people you've seen for company for a while now. if it were me I'd jump at the chance to talk to someone who didn't look like he wanted to kill me, even if he did seem a little off.

e1 reaction

this is not quite the opening I was hoping for. maybe I just forgot how slowly the manga starts up, or maybe it works better in written form than visual. idk.

one major downfall: Kiri's VA is doing a terrible job so far, coming off as an annoying whiny kid. the show is definitely going to fall apart if he's not relatable and this is a major roadblock. here's hoping his work improves.

I also have to agree with Garyuu on at least one thing. the humour is bland. no sense of pacing, weak delivery... not that humour was ever the strong suit of the manga but it was there, a bit. here I'd rather they'd left it out entirely if this is the best they could do :/

plus side: animation is everything I came to expect from the PVs. if they do action scenes as well as they do gorgeous moving scenery we will have a decent foundation for a good show (assuming the characters and story aren't mucked about with too much)

Last edited:

huh, I think I'll wait a few weeks until trying this, unless it sounds as if it only gets worse.

01: Dreamy OST, good budget... but the protagonist ticks me off, the melodrama is too forced, and I dislike the character designs. Also, I don't know where the hell this mish-mash of a premise is going, but that's something I'll judge further in, not now. This tries to be too serious for how ridiculous it actually feels, though.

I think the most stupid part was the story about her being bullied in elementary school because of her hair... Huh? She didn't even have it longer than normal at the time.

And I don't know what kind of role this Iwai girl is supposed to have from now on since her cursed hair has already been cut (and that's really all that her character and design had offered so far). I'm guessing the hair grows back rapidly or something - otherwise this episode was just an excuse to present another weird "death battle" series.

Unlike things like Amnesia, I can't be so sure already that this is going to be terrible. Hell, it could be a guilty pleasure of sorts depending on the action and such, who knows... However, I'm mostly skeptical here.

@BrainBlow: don't worry, whatever the details of my love affair with the manga I'm quite prepared to be brutal if its offspring is a worthless bastard :D

episode 1:

i thought the PV was bad but ehat was really bad is this first episode. too faced paced, unrealistic and basically just a mindless moeblob. ill give it one more episode before dropping it so hopefully they will do something about it and do it fast.

tl;dw version of ep 1
* hair
* there are people descended from famous killers.
* they inherit weapons from their ancestors
* they are watching hair girl
* hair girl's hair can't be cut
* mc has a weapon that cuts her hair
* hair
* hair
* hair.

Episode 1

I...

Could someone have written this without having hair cutting fetish himself?

The male lead is creepy... They tried to make him funny but still... creepy.

And the plot is very simple honestly... what isn't simple is the fact that this
anime so far are simply not very interesting despite having a silly plot it
doesn't draw much from it's pacing and the characters are just ''there''
and don't feel human at all at the moment, heck the red head felt the most
human out of all of them.

episode 1.... supernatural hair cutting melodramatic thriller. and i thought high school lesbian competitive mahjong was an odd anime genre.

this series is odd... i don't know how i feel about it. i think i give it three, if it doesn't drive me mad first.

Back