Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger

ParaParaJMo

Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Well, I must say I am impressed. I like the new style and the new detail to the hair on Aoki, more faithful to the manga. I like how they managed to get the original voice cast back. I like the new voice cast, it's more orchestrated in a Nodame Cantabile kind of way, and Sakaguchi kind of reminds me of Stresseman in the live action version. It suits him well and he's played by Gundam veteran Inaba Minoru. And Arnie is played by the voice of Kiryuu Kazuma from Ryuu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza and he sounds ultra bad ass, though he sounds deeper than I'd anticipate.

But I don't like the colors of his trunsk in the anime. I thought the trunks in the games were perfect enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Hajime no Ippo New Challenger

Just finished watching the first episode. Pretty much agree with everything you posted. The character animations seem a bit "cleaner" compared to the old series. First thought is that I actually liked the old scratchier art than the new, but either way it's good to have new Ippo on the air. A sign that 2009 will be a great year ;)

AHhhhhhhhhhh. if all the old episodes weren't hard enough to sit through, we are forced to sit through the sucking air boredom of No Personality Ippo. Lol. Truly one of the most boring series of all time.

The one thing I noticed that's different was the eye detail, it's better. That and yeah, the show is overall much sharper, but that just makes sense when ya think about it.

Why towards the end of the first episode I started to get all antsy for the next is odd. I know what happens, but damn I guess I REALLY want to see it in action.

AHhhhhhhhhhh. if all the old episodes weren't hard enough to sit through, we are forced to sit through the sucking air boredom of No Personality Ippo. Lol. Truly one of the most boring series of all time.

in the mean time for the next 10 volumes manga wise, it focuses mostly on the other characters

Please don't feed the Troll.

Looks just as great as before, but having just marathoned the first series, the wait between episodes will be painful. I personally would like more Vorg though I guess that's not going to happen.

The animation impressed me, all of the characters and even the landscapes have a great deal more detail. It's a nice step-up from the original series, and the I also thought the music during that scene with Miyata at the end of episode one was excellent.

i agree the new animation is very slick, but i also agree, and personal opinion here, that i really preferred the old scratched method. it still retains enough of the grittiness that i loved, with the added bonus of very beautiful animation, i really like the look of it overall.

the rest....it's ippo, i love it, i'm glad it's back, but yeah i marathoned the original too so the way between eps is gonna be pretty tortuous.

yeah, the old season felt more genuinely manga with relying on cross hatching more.

but this anime with the res feels more authentically anime. i like how they did miyata's corner dodging when arnie threw the right, and i like how they did the crimson background.

but i'm looking forward to how they will pull off miyata-san's "there's no such thing as a lucky punch" speech.

but being too familiar with the manga already, the episodes are of course naturally predictable, but the music adds a freshness to it.

I watched the 76 episodes+movies last week and 5 episodes of New Challenger just now, This serie is in my top 10 for sure.

*watched the opening animation a couple dozen times after watching the first ep*

*then marathoned the whole bloody manga again*

And I still have to watch each new ep as soon as I can get it o,o;;

It always amazes me how such an overwhelmingly episodic series can be so enthralling o,o

i really think namikawa daisuke was a good selection to play itagaki. i expected him to be more bubbly, but i think he fits him just right.

Back