Chaika: The Coffin Princess

Re: Hitsugi no Chaika

The plot sounds pretty vague but I will still watch this because it's from Bones.

Adult war veteran seeks new meaning in life now that his previous occupation is (currently) obsolete and a young girl helps him find his way.

Interest piqued.

Episode 1.
Not bad.

An evil Unicorn. That was cool.
Chaika is adorable with her little Hulk speak.
Action was decent.

Only downside I see is his bitchy sister.

Decided to watch this one as the silly person I am to see if my initial impression of what little I remembered from the material's changed and it really hasn't. In fact how this was adapted was incredibly poor and made everything significantly worse from the already lacklustre source.

Episode 1:

This episode was absolutely dreadful and one of the worst premieres I've seen of the new season. It looks like Bones ended up rushing as fast as they could so you hardly had anytime to blink before one thing happened and then the next. The setting was far from established that well and the weightless bloated action while nice looking really was a waste of time. It's only made even worse with the characters who were very one-note and had little characterization so they just feel cardboard in personality and generic. Chiaka being the most criminal out of the main trio by being another stale moe blob accompanied with a ridiculously irritating broken speech pattern to boot that was grating as hell to my ears. If she's going to talk like that the entire series I swear I'm actually going to punch something. Toru the soldier guy isn't much better who's a run of the mill lazy bum and his sister just existed.

The mystery element itself also wasn't that appealing and it's very difficult to even care about her background when Chiaka was pretty unlikable for me. And on a side note what I found a little bothering was the coffin itself just doesn't seem to be in anyway practical as a weapon case at all as well that she carries around and looked like a huge liability when they broke into some lord's mansion.

So yeah vague beginning, weak character department, bad writing and the plot seems very loose. I'm expecting it to be a substance-less action filled series at best with how much dialogue's literally been chopped out of this.

I know I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but there was not a single spoiler in that spoiler tag. I mention this because I brought it up in another thread. If someone like myself is checking out a thread to see if a show is worth watching, it can be difficult. I never know what is actually a spoiler or not.

I thought this wasn't supposed to start until tomorrow? Maybe I just got the dates mixed up along the way. :sweat:

Regardless, I wasn't expecting much and I knew next to nothing about this show going in, but I was fairly impressed with the first episode. They don't explain much about what's actually going on, but the action seemed pretty good and the characters are mostly likable.

Overall, I was happy with the first episode and I'm looking forward to getting more Chaika.

Episode 1.
Not bad.

An evil Unicorn. That was cool.
Chaika is adorable with her little Hulk speak.
Action was decent.

^exactly! i mean... that unicorn
and nothing like watching it get split in two xD

anyway i didn't mind the episode, it was entertaining enough for me to not be bored, the action wasn't to bad either, i liked Chaika's way of speaking and heck if she slices up more enemies like that, well blood showers can be fun :)
i admit i failed to see the sisters ground she stands on, she is either really full of herself or hates her brother, one of them is surely dormant inside her and im thinking the former. but who cares, as long as it isn't consistent with her mood it's not problem.
as for explanations of what is going on... well honestly it's only episode one, i see a lot keep saying that and it's hardly a rule that the first episode needs to explain it all, it's more common to do that as they go on. Granted it probably wont ever explain but as i always say, got to give it a chance ^__^

Anyway, overall it wasn't too bad for me.

I wasn't even really planning to take this up, and yet here I'm...

Episode 1
I didn't really had a great impression from the PV, but it was actually not bad at all.
Maybe I gonna give this one a chance.

episode 1..... no exposition, just grab hold and hang on tight.
yes evil carnivorous magical unicorn! i'm so there.

the terminology of the "classes" with the modern tech reminds me of the Czechoslovakian action move "Avalon" with soldier classes being wizards and clerics & such, as well as the mix with Scrapped Princess and it's magic/science affects.

we've got three, maybe 4 factions running around already and no clue what's going on but their all after the hand and it's fun.
i would like to know more.

..... and those stupid villagers too.

EP1:
This was actually interesting... I haven't read anything about it so I was pleasantly surprised.
Chaika is super cute. But we get another lazy OP protagonist... isn't that becoming too common?

Episode 01

I found Chaika's way of speaking to be annoying and uncute. =/
The entire episode seemed to escalate quickly without much introduction of the setting or characters. I've read little of the manga, but I remember it being better (I still dropped the manga). The stuff that was omitted I kinda agree about leaving out, though it at least would have gone into the Iron Blood ability with more depth from the get-go among other information. Overall, I wasn't too big on the episode and might drop/stall the anime in favor of returning to the manga after next episode. I'm not sure if I'm in an anime slump, but much of the ongoing I've seen this season have been downers...

Ep 1
I liked what I saw, The Gun animation was so very cool - loved it.
Had no problems with characters and Chaika was cute

And lastly loved the blood showers

I had no Idea what to expect, didn't read a synopsis or anything. All I had was Chaika's picture......

Not disappointed, her speech pattern has only boosted the one expectation I had out of this. The gun shit was tight as well.

looking forward to more here.

Episode 2.
Redneck likes.
"You could start a war!"
"That's cool with me."

I like this Toru dude. Not some blubbering peace-nick who always has to whine about war. This dude wants war. I like that. Also, his fight with Nikolai on the bridge was pretty slick. Action is the quickest way to get me to like something even more. And action was good.
Good episode.

Episode 02
i really liked this one
Like Redneck said this guy was great, talk about war? who cares, this world is too boring for me xD The series seems to be action based so i like that thinking as it's some fun. Quite liked the action this episode, they raided the manor, show the old guy who is running the show, i liked the trap he caught him in even if it was a bit fortunate for it all to fall into place, but the fight on the bridge is what i liked with the macho dude, this guy has two little blades to that things huge sword and he put his skill to use, jumping around like that and holding his ground, really was fun to watch.
So yeah very fun for me, i like the little loli girls speech thing even if it does bug others :D

Good episode this week.

LT:
Oh, my, God Becky, look at her butt
It is so big, she looks like
One of those rap guys' girlfriends.
But, ya know, who understands those rap guys?
They only talk to her, because,
She looks like a total prostitute, 'kay?
I mean, her butt, is just so big
I can't believe it's just so round, it's like out there
I mean gross, look
She's just so, black

I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung, want to pull up tough
'Cause you notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh baby, I want to get wit'cha
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But with that butt you got makes (me so horny)
Ooh, Rump-o'-smooth-skin
You say you want to get in my Benz?
Well, use me, use me
'Cause you ain't that average groupie
I've seen her dancin'
To hell with romancin'
She's sweat, wet,
Got it goin' like a turbo 'Vette
I'm tired of magazines
Sayin' flat butts are the thing
Take the average black man and ask him that
She gotta pack much back
So, fellas (yeah) Fellas (yeah)
Has your girlfriend got the butt? (hell yeah)
Tell 'em to shake it (shake it) shake it (shake it)
Shake that healthy butt
Baby got back (L.A. fits with the Oakland booty)

Baby got back (L.A. fits with the Oakland booty)

I like 'em round, and big
And when I'm throwin' a gig
I just can't help myself, I'm actin' like an animal
Now here's my scandal
I want to get you home
And ugh, double-up, ugh, ugh
I ain't talkin' bout Playboy
'Cause silicone parts are made for toys
I want 'em real thick and juicy
So find that juicy double
Mix-a-Lot's in trouble
Beggin' for a piece of that bubble
So I'm lookin' at rock videos
Knock-kneed bimbos walkin' like hoes
You can have them bimbos
I'll keep my women like Flo Jo
A word to the thick soul sistas, I want to get with ya
I won't cuss or hit ya
But I gotta be straight when I say I want to fuck
Til the break of dawn
Baby got it goin' on
A lot of simps won't like this song
'Cause them punks like to hit it and quit it
And I'd rather stay and play
'Cause I'm long, and I'm strong
And I'm down to get the friction on
So, ladies (Yeah) Ladies (Yeah)
If you want to role in my Mercedes (Yeah)
Then turn around, stick it out
Even white boys got to shout
Baby got back

Baby got back
Yeah, baby, when it comes to females
Cosmo ain't got nothin'
To do with my selection
Thirty six-twenty- four-thirty six
Ha ha, only if she's 5'3

So your girlfriend rolls a Honda, playin' workout tapes by Fonda
But Fonda ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda
My anaconda don't want none
Unless you've got buns, hon
You can do side bends or sit-ups
But please don't lose that butt
Some brothers want to play that hard role
And tell you that the butt ain't gol'
So they toss it and leave it
And I pull up quick to retrieve it
So Cosmo says you're fat
Well I ain't down with that
'Cause your waist is small and your curves are kickin'
And I'm thinkin' bout stickin'
To the beanpole dames in the magazines
You ain't it, Miss Thing
Give me a sista, I can't resist her
Red beans and rice didn't miss her
Some knucklehead tried to dis
'Cause his girls are on my list
He had game but he chose to hit 'em
And I pull up quick to get wit 'em
So ladies, if the butt is round,
And you want a triple X throw down,
Dial 1-900-MIXALOT
And kick them nasty thoughts
Baby got back

Baby got back

Last edited:

^prime example why I stay away from source material most of the time, everyone is loving the show except for the one person familiar with it. Adaptions never seem to go right when you have expectations......

My condolences on your enjoyment generic user :P

^

ep 2- was lot enjoyable then ep 1
The action was good, and toru is a good guy in my books. His skill is no joke, despite him being lazy
Who the hell cares about peace? Lets go start a war!
Chaika is still adorable and I love the gun animation, And glad to know of her history a bit.

Back