Kimi ni Todoke

ThePatches

Kimi ni Todoke

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Hm. I don't quite know. This one is going to be an interesting little shoujo, I believe. Given that it's not a will-they-won't they situation, I'm hoping that we'll get an in-relationship romance anime. That would be excellent.

What I DID like about the show is that it looks like what you'd get if the animators from Nodame Cantabile drew The Wallflower, and you watched the whole thing through shoujo goggles.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like the show has potential, but I can't really tell from the first episode. It made me think a little of Skip Beat at a few parts. I think it's because they really like going into chibi mode a lot. So, basically I think the show could be great, but I just can't tell yet.

Wow, she is pretty fucking pathetic. The show was alright, I found myself skipping through most of her dialogue though, just because it was her just saying how she doesn't want to touble people and everyone else is distraught because of herself. That was pretty much everything she said.

I've seen a lot of anime, I've seen a lot of harems, and she has to be one of the, if not, the most pathetic female character I have ever seen.

I mean, I've seen this show done at least twice before, in Karin, and in Toradora, here's to hoping this show will form any semblance of those shows, because they did it right.

This show is eerily similar to Aoi Hana in my opinion, mainly because of how the main characters in both are almost identical. At least, Kimi ni Todoke has a relationship established by the end of the first episode, and all the woe is me garbage will hopefully wither away after a couple of episodes. Also, the background music was done very well IMO. It wasn't all that noticeable, but the segments that had music, it seemed to enhance the mood of the characters. If I had to nitpick about anything, it would have to be the static backgrounds.
Wasn't planning on watching this show, but I read a couple of reviews and none of them had many bad things to say about it. So I guess I'll stick with it for a few more episodes to see where the story goes from here.

Like AOI HANA? Don't even get me started.

Sure, Sawako has some similarities to Fumi, but that's about where it ends. This show looks to make better use of its auxiliary cast and the main romantic lead is already 100 times more interesting than Sugimoto. I thought the first episode was a little thin, but the artwork alone buys this one a second episode in my book.

Wow, she is pretty fucking pathetic. The show was alright, I found myself skipping through most of her dialogue though, just because it was her just saying how she doesn't want to touble people and everyone else is distraught because of herself. That was pretty much everything she said.

Well, I sort of agree. I gotta say that, to an extent, she is a reflection of myself back in my early days of high school. I'm an only child, I only had a few friends growing up, and I went to small private schools grades k through 8th. So when it came time for high school, public high school no less, I was really socially inept. When I would talk to class mates I would just try too hard and come off as an awkward guy who didn't have any knowledge of the "real" world. People didn't hate me, they just thought of me as a really odd duck. It was hard for me to deal with "real" people, especially with girls. I just didn't know how to act so I'd keep to myself. So even though I didn't go through any situations like Sawako, I can really relate to her feelings and how she sees the world. Is she pathetic? Yes, without a doubt. But scale back her naiveté and introversion, you will find that she represents a lot of people at that age, especially me. Well sort of. I mean, most weirdos in high school don't get to hook up with the cool kid, let alone be that attractive :laugh:

No, it isn't her awkwardness i'm talking about, it was all her inner dialogue and her motives for how she acted. She pretty much just lets herself get bullied.

oh.... oops :baka:

Ok, well now that I know what you meant... you're right, it is pathetic. I guess it just didn't really bother me all that much.

Well, I sort of agree. I gotta say that, to an extent, she is a reflection of myself back in my early days of high school. I'm an only child, I only had a few friends growing up, and I went to small private schools grades k through 8th. So when it came time for high school, public high school no less, I was really socially inept. When I would talk to class mates I would just try too hard and come off as an awkward guy who didn't have any knowledge of the "real" world. People didn't hate me, they just thought of me as a really odd duck. It was hard for me to deal with "real" people, especially with girls. I just didn't know how to act so I'd keep to myself. So even though I didn't go through any situations like Sawako, I can really relate to her feelings and how she sees the world. Is she pathetic? Yes, without a doubt. But scale back her naiveté and introversion, you will find that she represents a lot of people at that age, especially me. Well sort of. I mean, most weirdos in high school don't get to hook up with the cool kid, let alone be that attractive :laugh:

Dont worry, military brats are the same way, like myself for example. I think I went to maybe 3 elementary schools, 2 middle schools and high school was really the only set of grades I went to one school for. Elementary school was in Germany, Texas, California and middle school was in California and South Carolina. High school was back in Texas but a different town. Hell, I've even been to two colleges already, one near my HS and another in north Florida.

I understand completely how you felt.

No, it isn't her awkwardness i'm talking about, it was all her inner dialogue and her motives for how she acted. She pretty much just lets herself get bullied.

True, but there's a few things at work here. First, we are a pretty vocal and self-sure group here. Unlike us, I think Sawako is not necessarily a nerd or an odd duck, she's a normal girl saddled with an unfortunate appearance issue. Instead of standing up for herself, she felt she'd fit in better if she lived up to people's expectations. More importantly, and this is where I think this show is going to differ most strongly from Aoi Hana, she shows the interest in changing herself actively. Sure, she hasn't bitched out everyone talking behind her back like she should, but seriously, do you remember how hard that might have been in high school? Instead, she's trying to things little by little. Greeting people in the morning, making friends, etc. Sure, the change is catalyzed by Kazahaya (or whatever the hell his name is), but I think she's on the road to realistic growth... At least I hope.

This show reminds me of Kare Kano in more ways than one: inner dialogues, changing oneself, comedy, bits of the same drawing style, updated to a 2009 level, seemingly centered around the girl and guy. Sure, there are just as many differences (difference in personalities being the most obvious) but I'm liking the things it has in common.

I'm just not sure that there's enough interesting storyline to pursue for more than a few episodes. It was a cute first episode but didn't do a lot for me. Maybe I was expecting something more like Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge. This is more of a Junior High Romance w/o any comedic depth. Will stick it out a few more episodes as it could always pull of a Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (if we're lucky)

I don't think it will go the heavy drama route, it will probably stick with the romance story with some light comedy.

I watched the first episode of this just last night. Generally, I like to avoid the sappy, shojo school romances -- but a good friend of mine trekked over, sat on my futon, and taped my eyes to the screen. (I haven't really forgiven her for it yet.) Now, Kimi ni Todoke. If anything, I find it a redo of a genre of anime/manga that is far too overdone. The rest just seem repetitive. I don't have enough strands of hair for this type of junior high drama. Let's count: Bokura Ga Ita, Kare Kano, Lovely Complex, Skip! Beat, Hot Gimmick, etc. etc. etc.

Needless to say, I didn't like it too much. I wanted to fast forward from the end of the OP to the beginning of the ED. I will wrap, package, and mail my own backbone to Sawako for her use for the rest of this season.

Regarding the direction the show takes, I do think it will lean towards a light-hearted romance instead of shooting the usual drama arrows. I won't be around to see the rest, but let me know if she finally starts getting more comfortable in her own skin~

I loved the first episode, i honestly couldn't stop smiling.

Sawako's lonely little life really touched me and i can sympathise with her, she's pretty realistic as a character from this first episode, she's trying to change, she wants to and she finds she can thanks to the male lead. It was just cute and lovely, i enjoyed this ep alot.

Mamiko Noto played Sawako brilliantly, i'm always wowed by how well her roles fit.

Eagerly awaiting ep 2, i can see this being my favourite of the season.

Kimi ni Todoke isn't for everyone. If your into shojou's then sure this will be great. Me I like some darkness in my characters. Anyways it looks decent, though Sada... I mean Sawako's voice is pretty annoying.

This show reminds me of Kare Kano in more ways than one: inner dialogues, changing oneself, comedy, bits of the same drawing style, updated to a 2009 level, seemingly centered around the girl and guy. Sure, there are just as many differences (difference in personalities being the most obvious) but I'm liking the things it has in common.

this is basically my exact feelings so far. this one though is a tad boring to start off for me. but maybe it'll get better... i hope lol

Anyways it looks decent, though Sada... I mean Sawako's voice is pretty annoying.

It's Mamiko Noto >_> How could you ever say that? Lol She's like one of, if not the best voice actor around (Among a few others), she always delivers a great part.
Very calming and soft toned, it's brilliant.

It's Mamiko Noto >_> How could you ever say that? Lol She's like one of, if not the best voice actor around (Among a few others), she always delivers a great part.
Very calming and soft toned, it's brilliant.

Yeah I agree she is definitely one of the best around and I have yet to hear her do a role that I have found to be annoying or bad.

I'd say this show is my favourite out of the new currently airing shows but I'm not gonna get too excited since it could easily go downhill after 2 episodes.

Back