Hoozuki no Reitetsu

ZetsubouKaiji

Hoozuki no Reitetsu
Alt title: Hozuki's Coolheadedness

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Episode 1:

Well that was extremely adequate and very okay. It's not really a dark comedy though with most of the jokes being surprisingly lighthearted. Almost all of the humor is dialogue based, but I like the stylized look of hell and the portrayal of Heaven and hell as mundane bureaucracies does amuse me. It does have a quite a few references to Japanese history and Japanese pop culture which I only partially got so maybe that would make it funnier, I dunno.

This episode didn't have me laughing out loud, but I wasn't bored either, so I'll be watching more. So yeah, pretty much just thought it was alright without being anything special.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I'm a little surprised to see you didn't one and done this one. I couldn't blame you if you did. It's not particularly exciting and the humor isn't exactly that great. I found enough charm from it not to be bored with it, but it's not something I'd recommend to people without having a good idea of their taste in humor first.

Episode 1

Haha I like the OP. Koko wa Jigoku, Jigoku suteki na Jigoku, Jigoku, Jigo Jigo Jigoku dayo~ :smile:

The Momotarou part was funny, as for the rest of the episode it was okay. I wasn't bored anyways. I kind of like the overall theme of the show.

Episode 1:
Not what I was expecting and I didn't find myself laughing that hard. It's stuffed to the brim with references for it's comedy and the art style I guess is nice but it's a shame that I wasn't too impressed with the jokes.

It was only okay although the brand of humour is not something I could see myself getting into which is a tad disappointing.

Episode 1
Hm It wasn't boring but it wasn't holy or anything.I was chuckling at some parts and overall it was ok.I'll continue watching since I really like the MC and it kept me moderately entertained throughout the episode.

Episode 2.
The first episode was okay. This one was effing hilarious.
Loved the Urusei Yatsura reference when they were talking about underwear. And Satan's little visit was freaking great. Hozuki is so scary, he has Satan yelling "Oh my god!" That bit just killed me.

Episode 2:

This episode started off a bit slow, but it turned to hilarious gold when
European Satan showed up.
I couldn't get enough of his reaction shots and that last bit with the recipe was great too. I wasn't too sure about this show, but this episode was pretty damn good.

Agreed, 2nd episode was much better.
I lost it when
Satan thought he was going to get cooked at the end, and begged God to save him.

Episode 3.
And it's back to just being okay.
My main issue being I didn't get a lions share of the references here. I had to keep pausing and looking up who they were talking about. That ending bit about the wager was okay. But overall...eh.

Episode 3:

I liked the episode, but a lot of the humor is definitely based around understanding the references which means a lot of nuance is lost on me. This episode was still enjoyable, but I wasn't really laughing out loud. I liked it because I think the characters are charming and the setting is cool. I get enough of the humor to be amused even if I'm not laughing.

Still the show could do with more moments like European Devil stuff.

Episode 4:

The stuff with the bunny was pretty cute and funny at the same time. Loved when the bunny went all demonic. The rest of the episode was alright, it's another one of those times where if I knew more about Japanese folklore I would think this is a lot funnier. Still the show retains some charm for me which makes it an enjoyable watch and I like I the OP because it's really silly.

Decent episode again. This isn't anything mindblowing, but I find it enjoyable at least.

Episode 4.
Hey, it's Yuuki Kaji. And he's not screaming. Always a plus. Anyhow, the first bit was okay. But the second bit was funny as fuck. That demonic little rabbit is awesome.

Episode 5.
Hilarious.
Both bits. The Cow and Horse chick are funny as hell. And the whole parallel between making medicine and torturing some perverted schmuck was great. The sports festival...God, that had me rolling. Especially the starting "pistol".
Good stuff.

Ooh forgot to write about the new episode. I thought this was the most consistently funny episode so far, although I still think European Satan in episode 2 was the funniest bit this show has done. I like that there weren't a bunch of historical references this episode, but references to other anime I am familiar with. Anyone that's watched Ippo would have recognized that Dempsey Roll.

MakunouchiDempseyRoll.gif

All in all this show has really grown on me since the first episode. Although the show still isn't really a dark comedy as it was described. Instead, it's pretty much just a straight comedy that takes place in hell. Still, it's funny so I can't complain.

Ep. 5
Great episode. That was one of the best sports festivals in the anime history.
Or rather a rehearsal of one.

Episode 6:

Another great episode. Lots of funny little gags and a visitor from European Hell is always welcome. I loved that they came to respect each other over something as silly as maid uniforms.

Also this:

bum.png

face-1.png

Episode 7:

Who knew an episode featuring pervert hell could end up being so mediocre. The only thing that really go my attention was the
Tonari kaibutsu-kun cameo.

Episode 7.
The real rib-tickler in this episode was the second half.
Poor King Enma. Getting poked, prodded and abused by Hozuki was hilarious shit. Especially Hozuki petting a koala. Who knew such a scary guy could be so adorable?

Have I mentioned Shiro is adorable by the way? I don't think I have.

Back