The Lost Village

g3data

The Lost Village
Alt title: Mayoiga

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

You all all ready for a ride on Mari Okada's Bus of Pain? Just a few of here characters have been enough to sink shows for me in the past. How about thirty? I also hope Another didn't show the extent of Mizushima's mystery/horror (I think it'll be a horror series, the set-up seems to lend to that) because if that's the case then hoo-boy I think we're in trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
gonna check this out soon.

it seems interesting but I'm :| at the same time

Episode 1:
Hoo boy.

I got a feeling this is gonna be hilariously bad. This opening episode was a bit cringey. Some of the characters and their dialogue made me giggle so hard. I did dug the creepy atmosphere though, but that's no surprise since this is being handled by the guy who directed Another. Another was bad, but it sure had some nice creepy atmosphere.

Also, that's a lot of characters. It's gonna be a bitch remembering those names. Well I probably won't need to because there might be a chance this show will be killing folks left and right.

Well that was a bumpy start, but I'm intrigued. I'm not expecting much, but this could be a barrel of laughs.

1:

With all the mentions of cannibalism, I certainly hope the show goes down that route. There's certainly a lot of people that could do with getting munched so we can have a more manageable character roster. Pretty weird how nonplussed they were with how the bus driver tried to kill them. It's like the only part they remember is that the vomit forced an emergency stop and that's it.

Last edited:
Episode 01

As uninteresting of an opener this was, I'll let it slide because of the unsettling atmosphere it created by the end.

Though I don't understand what this is supposed to be. A horror? Suspense? Both? Why is information on this so vague? Is that part of the marketing? Will it kill someone off as soon as we're lured into a false sense of security for the shock value? Why so many questions? Is this its ploy? Well damn I'm curious.

Please kill people off as soon as we think it's not gonna happen, and then change the opening to something incredibly dark. That would be so awesome. I'm going to be suspicious/expect death the entire time now. :laugh:

Looking forward to the next episode; I hope I'm not let down.

Episode 1
You lost me at "Soy Latte". Then again, most of these people have really wanky usernames. (says the person called CaptainSlow)

Spot the misguided feminist. :laugh:

I was kind of hoping the sick kid would be the "main character" but judging by the OP, it's Mitsumune. Oh well.

I'm with the skeptic up front, this song sucks. :laugh:

"He doesn't have a lot of experience with girls~" he's in high school you dense birds :seriously:

The girl with the bow has a serious case of Movie OCD.

> "Cannibalism!"
> "That's not exactly torture..."
If you have a vore fetish, maybe. :seriously:

Never piss off the bus driver. (The bus driver's going to be the first to go, I just know it.)

I'll have that music as my ringtone, 'kay thanks.

Alright, the skeptic loses his right to a new life. He's gonna show no signs of wanting to change.

01:

This was a really bad way to start.

They rush through introducing a bunch of characters and I didn't give a single didly squat about any of these generic stock archetypes. I've watched shows that presented a multitude of characters more interestingly and this just plain fails at keeping my attention. Also, the dialogue is so unbelievably awkward to me, I was just continually cringing my pants off about half the time.

On a final note, bus driver guy is actually such a fucking stupid asshole, it was pretty hard not to be speechless and dumbfounded at the part where he tried to kill them all.

Unfortunately I'm feeling deep in the red zone right now and find it so hard to take any of this that seriously.

Episode 1

About the only series that seemed promising in the plot and the first episode is shitty af. Damn. So many characters that were introduced in a really stupid manner with such a cringy dialogue. Everywhere. Not to mention I was expecting them to be adults, but half of them are kids/highschoolers. This is not what I signed up for.

Idk, man. Maybe it gets better over time, but the first episode was a real letdown. It's already full of cliches and they have a stupid bus driver.

Well that was a lot of names. ..hopefully they'll start to kill people off so I can just focus on a few.
That guy, seriously, he looks like a kid and I'm guessing it's the whole family favors the other twin or something but I'm probably completely wrong
Bus Driver was just stupid, at first I thought he had a good point but no, just no.
Not impressed at this, bad first impressions

I'm half-expecting this to be exactly like the "Lost" TV series - heck, "Lost" is in the (translated) title. :laugh:

Spoilers for the Lost TV series ending-

Watch all of the characters be actually dead from the bus ride and it's about them passing over as ghosts/accepting themselves and their lives. The texts from MC's family kinda breaks this theory (maybe), but it still could somehow be what's happening here.

Probably completely wrong here. And I hope I am. Seeing this happen twice in different television series is enough for me.

ep 1

Interesting to say the least.

it wasn't great, we could have done without the character introductions taking up 25% of the run time, because I doubt anyone was paying much attention to it. Especially how unnatural it felt.

I like the atmosphere, and the big potential I saw in Mitsume's hallucination. Boy that was creepy as hell with the crazy girl in control of the bus. The direction was great at that moment.

The dialogue has been weak for the most part, the crazy girl might be the best character because she's playing the part of a crazy person and that gives lots of room to be portrayed accurately do to the wide variety of ways people can be crazy.

Lastly, the bus driver thing didn't bug me because I don't think he tried to kill them, In fact it was pretty obvious he wasn't trying to kill them. he was just scaring them. He was driving recklessly long enough to crash the bus, but instead of crashing, he was turning corners. And when that kid attacked him, he hit the breaks to avoid crashing. So the suicide thing was never truly considered.

ep 1

Interesting to say the least.

Lastly, the bus driver thing didn't bug me because I don't think he tried to kill them, In fact it was pretty obvious he wasn't trying to kill them. he was just scaring them. He was driving recklessly long enough to crash the bus, but instead of crashing, he was turning corners. And when that kid attacked him, he hit the breaks to avoid crashing. So the suicide thing was never truly considered.

I really don't think that makes him any less of an asshole to be honest, throwing a hissy fit like that over pretty much nothing and then driving recklessly to just scare the passengers is still pretty petty and stupid.

This was one of the main things I was interesting in watching for the Spring, and I liked it alright. I think, like a lot of people have said, the atmosphere is promising and so I'm just staying optimistic about it.

There are a lot of characters, but that kind of panders to the situation. It would be almost unsuccessful if it were focused on a few characters. I don't think it could hold up for too long, especially since it looks like the village is a real thing, they will need to fulfill community roles I assume.

I thought the bus driver was going to be in on it, but it's weird that he was just kind of hired to drive them and drop them off and leave. I figured that organization would of owned it's own bus. I guess they can't have that much money.

Overall, I'm pretty sure there is going to be death and mystery. It's an okay start, and I think it could go either way.

Episode 2:
Wow. These brats are a bunch of assholes. Even the main lead is hard to like. Except for Love-pon. Love-pon is so batshit crazy she cracks me up. Well nothing really happens in this episode. Just some build-up and the characters being all pissy and annoying. The dialogue is still pretty cringe. I hope the killing and horror starts in the next episode because we really need to whittle down these numbers.

About the bus driver... If this is gonna dive into supernatural territory, I bet something or someone killed him after everyone left him and took his form. Or mind control perhaps? Well just a thought.

Again, only thing I like about show so far is the eerie atmosphere. That and it's unintentionally funny sometimes.

Episode 02

This was still boring, but at least it was better than the first episode since

they are now at the village, although the reasons for how they found it are completely ridiculous (got an anonymous email :seriously:). I guess it's better than the 24-year-old graduate miraculously making this discovery all on her own when it was supposed to be a lost village nobody could find. As soon as they got there, I was thinking to myself how easy it seemed to be. That driver also caught up with them easily enough - you'd think he would have gotten lost at night, unless the path is just that straightforward (and if it was, that should make the village that much easier to discover). Another thing I don't get is why the two people who know the most about this lost village didn't try going out there before this trip; judging by everyone's reactions, this was their first time, yet I thought they had at least been here once to confirm before dragging everyone out, etc. Things aren't adding up here and it's breaking the eerie, "lost village" atmosphere for me.

That attempt at a cliffhanger ending was lame too - I felt no tension from it because we saw the guy drag the girl off. If they didn't show us this, it could have had tension, but I see it more as a poor attempt to add to the creepy atmosphere. I really don't see anything coming out of this, unless the guy ends up dead, which in that case, yes please.

Yeah, this is probably gonna be a mess.

Episode 2:
I hope the killing and horror starts in the next episode because we really need to whittle down these numbers.

Again, only thing I like about show so far is the eerie atmosphere. That and it's unintentionally funny sometimes.

About the bus driver... If this is gonna dive into supernatural territory, I bet something or someone killed him after everyone left him and took his form. Or mind control perhaps? Well just a thought.

Pretty much are my thoughts here, but
what makes you think something happened to the bus driver? I just see him as someone who can no longer contain his regrets about his sad life after seeing a group of people gathering together to start over.

what makes you think something happened to the bus driver? I just see him as someone who can no longer contain his regrets about his sad life after seeing a group of people gathering together to start over.

Well just right after they left him, there was a banging noise. When the guy looks in the direction of the noise, it quickly cuts back to the kids the moment he makes a shocked expression.

Well just right after they left him, there was a banging noise. When the guy looks in the direction of the noise, it quickly cuts back to the kids the moment he makes a shocked expression.

Oh right, that did happen. Good job remembering. It would be impossible to deduce a logical reason for what that was about, given everyone was together at the time walking up that path, so going in the supernatural direction seems like the right choice. Interesting.

ep 2,

better than the first.

The dialogue does come off a bit overdone at times but the show does show a high level of competence for every situation that it creates. The cast is HUGE so instead of having 30 something normal people, they tried for 30 something anime archetypes to keep things interesting, and thats basically the cause of all the cringe. Some of these characters just don't exist outside of fantasy anime land and they are killing any chance of a realistic/authentic feel to the show.

Without that, there was potential, the writing does seem very aware of how stupid some of the characters and extremely aware to how the viewers are seeing everything at this point.

For example, as the showed the rusty hoe, I'd imagine before the characters even spoke, most viewers thought "thats blood on that thing", and in a flash the dialogue went that direction. Also when it became apparent the the village was abandoned, my thoughts were that some how perhaps, everyone died, and as soon as I thought that, the characters came up with the same thoughts through the dialogue. Honestly, I felt like the show is really aware of the atmosphere it created and is currently trolling the shit out of us because we're all waiting for something dark to happen.

If it wasn't for the thing with the bus driver, I would have started thinking maybe the show would try trolling the idea of disaster for the entire season, but something off DID happen with the bus driver, as far as plot progression goes, it's the only significant thing that has happened so far.

Well lastly I want to second how much I hate some of these characters, especially the main character. even the most socially awkward can't be as slow as he is. It should be noted that he's talking ou loud every time it seems like he's thinking about something, I guess maybe that's the basis of his character.......I wis he wasn't the main. I hope he dies, I'd hate for everyone's hopes to fall on him when shit starts to hit the fan, in which case everyone is fucked.

Overall I liked the episode.

2:

I'm glad Bus Driver-kun isn't kill, I hope he has more mental breakdowns down the line.

dat Yottsun doe. I thought he would be token comic relief, but we've already got like most of the cast filling those shoes

I like how so many people are quick to defend the guy who tried to kill them.

Otherwise, this episode didn't accomplish much. It set the "mystery" up, but based upon what happened in the episode, and what the "twist" was, I don't expect much from this series anymore.... I feel like a barrage of disappointment is about to ensue.

Back