Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal

tootalls

[sadht]Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal[/sadht]

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

Checked 4 times, pretty sure there wasn't a thread...

agh well ep1. looks like it'll be as expected, a solid buffed remake.

It's new for me watching in Japanese, a highlight would be the transformation sequence went CG but it was appealing and sounded great.

I give a thumbs up to the start.

D'oh, I forgot this had already started. Time to relive those wonderful high-school memories...

I'm not tearing up, you're tearing up! Damn nostalgia goggles...

Last edited:
Seems we forgot to make the thread then!

I've never seen any Sailor Moon, so i guess i'll watch this at some point and see what it's like.

it's like power rangers.......or pretty cure.......simple minded enemies predictable episode to episode outcomes......

I don't know if I'd like it if not for nostalgia. Definitely was aimed at a young audience.

The voice acting.... I can't stand it! Fuck. This has got to be the most annoying voice I've ever heard.
And no, I never saw or heard any of the old show.
But yeah, aside that the episode was okay I guess. For an anime about magical 14 year olds.

Last edited:
I feel so bad for people who didn't watch the original back in the day. I was quite the fan, as were most.

But yeah, I don't know if I'd like it if it weren't for having watched it back in my middle school days. But I'm watching it and loving it and that's all that matters.

From what I know, most of the cast has been switched out from the original, but they kept Sailor Moon's original VA.
So yeah, it'll be a bunch of 20-something VAs and one VA in her mid-40s.
Oh can you tell the difference?

From what I know, most of the cast has been switched out from the original, but they kept Sailor Moon's original VA.
So yeah, it'll be a bunch of 20-something VAs and one VA in her mid-40s.
Oh can you tell the difference?

As for Sailor Moon.........she sounds the same to me..........though I only watched the last season in Japanese cause there weren't any dubs.

I've been wanting to rewatch the old Sailor Moon for a few years now, so I think I'll do just that as I continue watching the new one. Double the Moon Prism Power, double the warm fuzzy feelings inside.
:love:

I've been wanting to rewatch the old Sailor Moon for a few years now, so I think I'll do just that as I continue watching the new one. Double the Moon Prism Power, double the warm fuzzy feelings inside.
:love:

Don't doki doki too hard now. Your heart might explode.

Episode 1:

Aw man, this feels good even though it didn’t really met my expectations. One of my earliest memories of life go to my mom reading me Sailor Moon subtitles, so I’m definitely biased here when I call it good.

It will take me some time to get used to this design, but I do like the artstyle they chose. It gives it a fresh look even if its the same thing as before, and I can appreciate that. Animation isn't the most fluid one around, but I got some good looking, memorable scenes I don’t even remember noticing in the “original”, so that’s definitely an upgrade. Though, I wasn’t really impressed by the transformation sequence. I expected would be a highlight of sorts, but ehh… it’s the same thing just more awkward looking. Dammit, I loved my frame by frame transformations. CGI was pretty noticeable and it bothered me. And I just know they are going to recycle that one. It’s Sailor Moon, it’s going to happen. I can stand rubbery limbs and sloppy facial expressions, but get me a better transformation pls. ;_:

Music I liked. It’s not that much different from the original stuff, but I liked the old ost and still have it somewhere on some random playlist, so I’m not really complaining. Intro sounded like a start of some Disney movie, and for some reason that was the prettiest looking scene in the whole episode. I just found that part odd for some reason. OP is something I found completely “eh”. First one from the first series (and second… and third… and so on) was so kickass this one falls flat in comparison. And ED is just forgettable.

It’s cheesy to the point it works like charm so I won’t be complaining about the narration. There’s a fair share of obvious statements and unnecessary monologues… and exposition in general is… ye… b-but it works, for me, I guess. C’mon, this is Sailor Moon. All these dumb gimmicks and tomfoolery is all I wanted from this, and in that sense it delivered. Usagi is everything you saw here. You either found her annoying or you live through 40 episodes of recycled animation to learn better. Or you’re here for best sailor, which is Jupiter. Fact.

In a way it wasn't anything different from the “original” first episode. Usagi was still kicked out of the house and jewelry still boggles minds. There was, however, a noticable shortae of glorious Usagi facial expressions… which kinda hurts when you know it won’t happen with this design… but I still like it, in spite all the problems it has. I also think it has the potential to some things better, but we’ll see…

I honestly think I’d hate this if I wasn’t a fan beforehand. I love them for doing this, but at the same time I feel like they’re not putting much effort into it, or at least giving it the treatment it deserves. I was hoping they’d do the thing David Production did for JoJo, but ehh… it’s still early to judge, I guess.

Will follow because Sailor Moon.

I watched the original show here and there, but I never got into it when I was younger. That was when I wasn't open to stuff like this because it was "girly". Now it doesn't matter. A good show is a good show. I still got a bit of nostalgia from it. Even if i wasn't watching the show, the commercials were also coming on. It's still something I remember from my childhood.

I gave it a try though. I enjoyed it. It still had a lot of that 90's style that I like. It was still fun. Yeah her voice sounded weird, but I was guessing it was probably the original actress. I didn't like the CGI transformation. CGI wasn't needed.

Looking at it though, I just feel like I need to watch the original. It's not necessary, but I think I will enjoy and appreciate the original more.

Episode 1

In a weird turn of total hypocrisy, I can forgive a lot of shoujo cliches, even though I find almost all shounen cliches unforgivable. As a result, I got a lot of enjoyment out of this episode. Yeah it was cheesy and silly, and the girls with their jewelery sure did get to that shop fast, but it was a lot of fun so it didn't bother me at all.

I just need Sailor Jupiter...

Episode 01

I have forgotten so much about Sailor Moon. I didn't even remember Usagi had a brother! Though I recalled enough to immediately realize in this episode that
the mother had been switched for that alien, but that may or not may not be because in the original English dub, I think she is shown in the OP transforming or somethin'.
And, I was surprised at how quickly I adapted to Usagi's voice because with the first few lines she spoke, I found her annoying yet by the end of the episode, I liked hers. Sucks we gotta wait two more weeks for the next release - hopefully it'll be worth it.

Fun Fact: the first episode earned me the 6 months on anime badge.

I'm in the same boat as Zaig: it's been such a long time since I've watched Sailor Moon. I haven't read the manga either, so this will be a refreshing experience! That being said...

Episode 1
This was pretty great! I like the newer animation style, I thought the OP was cool (except for the CG at the end...blegh), and the voice actors were nice to listen to.

I wasn't too fond of the CG transformation scene, though. If there's one thing that my nostalgic self won't forgive, it's that CG. I really liked the hand-drawn animation style they had in the original series, and the CG ruins the experience for me. It wasn't bad, but I just really prefer hand-drawn transformations.

Episode 1

In a weird turn of total hypocrisy, I can forgive a lot of shoujo cliches, even though I find almost all shounen cliches unforgivable. As a result, I got a lot of enjoyment out of this episode. Yeah it was cheesy and silly, and the girls with their jewelery sure did get to that shop fast, but it was a lot of fun so it didn't bother me at all.
I totally agree with you on this. There's something about Usagi's super-powered stupidity and naivety that just makes me want to facepalm, but I find it endearing anyway. It's partly nostalgia, yes, but there's something about those cliches that I just...enjoy. Shounen cliches, on the other hand...:...:

GUESS I JUST LOVE ME SOME SHOUJOU

Fun Fact: the first episode earned me the 6 months on anime badge.

Nice! :banana:

I loved Sailor Moon when I was young.

Considering this is based on on the manga I hope they still keep the

Nephlite/Naru romance subplot
since that was only in the anime.

I'm not sure what I think of the new art though, gonna give it a few more episodes before I decide my final thoughts.

And already the English Dub cast has been announced.

Cristina Vee as Rei Hino/Sailor Mars

11wehqs.gif

Back