Barakamon

So who's watching this? I'm on the fence about it because you only really know if this kind of show is good once you watch it, but some positive feedback might help me make my mind. I did like the short PVs.

I was planning on watching it as well, as the synopsis kind of reminded me of Usagi Drop.

I read the manga and it reminds me a lot of Yotsuba: a slow paced slice of life based on enjoying the little things in life, where the personalities of the characters and the interactions between them are well defined. I don't know how to explain it, it leaves the same feeling as Yotsuba to me. Barakamon also includes a journey of self discovery of the main character.

And both series has crazy kids.

Episode 1

I agree with Brad, best pilot of the season so far.
ROLLROLROLLROLL

Holy hell this was awesome in every way, I've instantly bought into the characters, the setting, the backstory... the pacing of all of it was masterful, and we still got awesome scenes like when they're in the sea and Naru shows Handa how to make a float out of his t-shirt.

In fact, every scene in this episode was absolutely brilliant and I really can't level any criticisms at it, the art style is lovely, the animation was fluid to look at, the accents were easy to pick out even for someone who doesn't speak japanese. All together I need more of this in my life.

I love Naru's voice, I was tired of hearing kids voiced by seiyuus making high pitched voices (even animals are voiced by seiyuus nowadays), so having a kid voiced by a kid is, ironically, somewhat refreshing. That also makes Naru's squeals really funny.

The episode itself leaves out some parts of the manga, but is a wonderful adaptation overall, I can't wait to watch more.

Episode 1:

Thirding this as best pilot of the season, I'm still feeling all warm and fuzzy inside after watching that. That was just a perfect adaptation for this episode.

They nailed Handa's personality completely with his stubbornish yet nice side and seeing Naru animated with that awesome accent was enough to give me diabetes with all the adorableness there, it adds a nice layer of authenticity and I loved how distinguishable it was. The one thing I enjoy so much about the material is the relaxing and peaceful atmosphere which I'm really glad to see it was done so well here. If they can keep up this level of quality the rest is assuredly going to be amazing stuff. I literally can't wait for the next episode. :love:

Everything's been said already; it's been a while since I've seen such a simple and heartwarming series. And while Naru is just a little ball of adorableness, Hina totally stole the last few scenes for me.

I also like that it's about calligraphy. Besides it giving a nice reflection of Handa's mindset and stance in life, it's also interesting to see the art form itself portrayed.

Now THAT... was good. I can already tell this'll be a great one. Voices were fitting, animation was smooth (particularly the shot a few seconds in when the MC flops down), and I loved the ED. Just like Bradalee said, I had a grin on my face the whole time.

Episode 1
The voice acting is what really stands out to me here. Daisuke Ono seems perfect here, but what I'm really impressed by is Suzuko Hara's voice as Naru.
That's one of the best Japanese child actors I've friggin' heard! Love the accent too!

On the episode itself, most has been said, but I particularly loved
the scene after the credits. It was a hilarious reflection of my own reaction to the episode's beginning.
:laugh:

Also, that punch! That took me completely by surprise in what I assumed would just be another "emotional flashback exposition scene".

what I'm really impressed by is Suzuko Hara's voice as Naru.
That's one of the best Japanese child actors I've friggin' heard! Love the accent too!

Personally, it's the only child seiyuu I've heard, except for some kids who appeared sometimes on You're Under Arrest and Wolf Children, and I'm not sure about the last one cause I don't remember crearly.

Also, that punch! That took me completely by surprise in what I assumed would just be another "emotional flashback exposition scene".

One of the things I enjoy the most of the show is that the flashbacks and that type of things are well done, the doesn't make you think "Oh, boy, here we go again, with the main character and its uninteresting and bland traumas I don't care about".

Episode 1.
It's funny.
There's a kid who's just shy of being annoyingly adorable.
And Daisuke Ono?

I'm sold.

That ED is horrendous though.

Episode 1:

That was a great start, i am getting usagi drop vibes from it as well which is never a bad thing, looking forward to more.

Okay, I've started using Crunchyroll at the beginning of this year. This is the first time I've seen this message.
Sorry, this video is not available in your region due to licensing restrictions.

edit: okay I read why. I hate you Funimation.

ep 1 - Saw a couple of mentions, gave it a look ... I'm sold, and impressed to boot.
Think I'll watch it again before saying any more.

Cute............

knock a toddler you just met into the water though? not cool, not cool bro :(

The sad and yet adorable thing was she felt more concerned in his ability to swim than he did for her.

Back