Beautiful Bones -Sakurako’s Investigation

Gens

Database Moderator
Beautiful Bones -Sakurako’s Investigation

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't see a thread for this so I just decided to make it. Anyway, it's another mystery title I'll be checking out and I really like the genre so might as well give it a try when I'm watching so few shows this season. Also, the PV didn't look half-bad to me.

I'll give it a chance. Presentation-wise it doesn't look quite as promising to me as F, but hopefully it'll be good.

It was okay, I guess.

The introductions are handled in a very artificial manner through the narrator, true to the show's LN origins, and Sakurako herself is pretty over-the-top to the point it goes past amusing and borders annoying. I thought the bit where she smugly claimed the two corpses were not a homicide before even getting to see the bodies was pretty laughable.

Still, it mixes in enough knowledge and rationale to make tbe bits of crime solving somewhat engaging, so with the right content this could be an interesting show to follow - even though, again, Sakurako's extremely quick thought process is a tad unrealistic.

I liked the animation and OST, although designs could use some creativity, for fuck's sake. The wacky dream-like scene with the animal skeletons flaunting around was fun.

Yeah, I don't really have too much to say since I've seen this kind of quirky Sherlock/Watson type dynamic too many times already. Like Link's said the introductions weren't really handled too well and I almost always find this kind of voice over narration pretty plain and just downright boring to listen to. Also, I'm disappointed that the male MC feels pretty generic to be honest, but hey, it's a light novel adaptation so I probably should've expected as much.

It wasn't too bad overall, but I can't say I'm terribly impressed either. Hopefully this doesn't end up being purely episodic though.

1:
Seems like an attempt to recreate the somehow still popular boilerplate crime procedural drama, only in 20 minutes as opposed to 40. That of course means a ridiculously unrealistic approach to dealing with investigations (from meek police officers who just accept the word of a stranger at face value, to the crime solving superpowers). The male MC reminds me of glasses boy from Ranpo Kitan too since his existence at this point seems to only be to act as a limiter for the strange genius' silly antics. Could've lived without the infodumpy narration too.

Thankfully the show didn't try to squeeze too much into one episode since they call it a day after determining what happened as opposed to trying to shoehorn the finding of the perp in.
It was OK I guess? A bit dull tbh.

Last edited:
gedata said:
The male MC reminds me of glasses boy from Ranpo Kitan too since his existence at this point seems to only be to act as a limiter for the strange genius silly antics.

This so much. I'd even bet something that it's the same voice actor behind the character.
Gave me the worst of déja vu.

This did not disappoint,
on the grounds of animation that is. I typically watch new series with only the knowledge of the cover art in toe going in, and it certainly did deliver a stylistic and beautiful atmosphere.

aside from that, I am disappointed because you'd usually assume something that looks good, is good, but this isn't good. the only way this can turn around from what I'm seeing is if it has a main plot line but..........

This looks like nothing more than a glorified solve a case an episode kind of deal. So once again we have a failure of a mystery show on our hands I'm calling it now. Pretty package like ranpo, probably won't suck as much, but doesn't look like it'll be nearly as good as Rukka no Yuusha either.

The bones chick is somewhat interesting but that is fucked up by the presence of the kid. He basically said it all in the car and left the real mystery being, why the fuck is this chick hanging out with this kid?

She's engaged
typically doesn't like people
they have no relationship that can be defined

And from what we have seen, he's nothing but an annoyance to her. she drives out to do something she wanted to do and was nice enough to let the brat tag along, but he belly aches about shrimp like she's his mother to nag or something. Calls the police to collect her prize, sprays some random shit in her face.........seriously, there is nothing beneficial for her to have him around and I think I hate him already.

Next a bunch of illogical behavior ensues with her doing as she pleases at a crime scene, the fact that they mention that and that she is a civilian within the dialogue doesn't make the bogus actions any better. In the 1st place the officer she was with would never had followed her request to take her to the crime scene in the first place.

so based on all the cover art I've glossed over in the weeks leading to this season, this is the show that has always caught my eye the most and thus, I'm really let down by what it is..........

I'm 90% sure Sakurako has access to Batman's detective mode, that would explain the super crime solving magic filters.

I first heard of the LN when I stumbled upon a special promo video of the novel. It was some sort of collaboration with the crime drama series, BONES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQCyyLrtd1Q

Anyway, my impression of the first episode:

It's not bad. I was hoping this would be one of the better shows this season, but it didn't deliver that much. It has pretty visuals and an eccentric heroine so I might stick with it.

Also, chick has CSI eyes. :cereal:

I never thought OK might get on such a low level. I mean, yes, it's okay, but like...dull and kind of boring. I don't think that this is going to get over the top or anything. I guess it's gonna be as okay as shows such as Gosick were.

Episode 1:

This show is fucking stupid.
Even if I can work up the suspension of disbelief to get over her just walking in on a police investigation because she's a bone expert and her uncle knows something about forensics, I still don't like it because I strongly dislike her and I don't like her boy companion either. neither of the characters draw me in with their tired dynamic. I found the dialogue to be really cringe worthy as well. It's really trying hard to be clever and sound deep, but to me it sounds really goofy as she expounds on the butterfly bone while there is some elaborate animation of her pushing her finger through his skull.

I'm also not a fan of the fake sexual tension between the two of them. It's weird because they've made her so much older, but also because it's always going to be a tease, because she's socially inept and doesn't even realize when she's doing it. It's a way to have a little fanservice but feels very forced.

I feel like this episode is unsatisfying because although she proves it is a murder it's not like she solves the case. I know that wasn't the point, but in the end she just points out some obvious signs about the death of two random people with almost no context.

The animation was nice, but I found the art and characters to be pretty bland. I found Subete to be much more appealing to look at.

This is what I was waiting for the most this season.
Character design and animation is exactly what I like. Something like in Hyouka.
I was expecting their relationship to be a bit different based on the synops that I have read but I guess it's better this way so we can see how their relationship developes or will there actually be any romance at all.
Also...Sakurako kind of reminds me of Bones(from TV series). I don't mind though.
Overall I liked the first episode and can't wait to see more :)

The graphic is nice and its mystery also like how the mc is a bone collector ^^
Ep 1 impression was okay but... really? why the cat should appear dead in the beginning T^T
rsHJDCR.png

Episode 1
It's like Bones the anime. Except Bones is replaced by a concupiscent jerk-ass and Booth is a bored high-schooler.

Actually, it's nothing like Bones, I take it back.
Good start, we've got a ennui-stricken high schooler as one of the leads the damn narrator. Great, that means the series is going to be from his perspective. :frustrat:

It is a pretty series, though, I've got to give it that. And it's set somewhere other than Tokyo, so that's a plus.

Hot damn, I want the Kujou house. That estate must be worth a pretty penny. :love:

"We're not dating, but we're not friends either. Plus she has a fiancee, so that makes us..." Nothing, dear. You're essentially chopped liver to her. Though I can understand your confusion. :flip:

Look, I know that crime thrillers tend to come in two major flavours - the gritty suspense kind and the driven by a ~super amazing protagonist~ kind - but the second (the one the series is employing) is by far the easiest to screw up due to suspension of disbelief.

To put it lightly, Beautiful Bones is not doing itself any favours by expecting the audience to believe that Sakurako has any authority to be gaining sensitive information from a police officer AND THEN forcing said police officer to take her to a crime scene, only for her to stride past the forensics team and get her paws all over the scene. I mean, many crime shows use the whole "Protagonist Strides Through Crime Scene and Reveals Answer Within Two Seconds" shtick, but it's usually after they've established that said protagonist has some kind of connection with the police or with the personnel assigned to the scene. At this stage, all that we know about Sakurako is that she likes mucking with teenagers' heads and is a budding osteologist.

And that someone saw one of the many bucherings of Sherlock Holmes and went, "Yes, I can make this female." Sigh...

Plus, when the connection is revealed after she ruins the crime scene, and is found to be as weak as "oh yeah, a relative of hers used to be head of forensics and used to help out"... :seriously:

I might be back next week, but don't bet on it. I'm finding this pretty obnoxious, to be honest.

Last edited:
ep1 - Enjoyed it somewhat, but I have to agree about the lack of logic ...
It's so absurd that police officials would take this guff from a civilian. Also, her intuition is so good she must have been reading ahead in the script.

I'm OK with some vague reason that she finds the kid tolerable ... she was actually being considerate at the end, but was irritated at being called on it.
If he doesn't give a reason for her respect this will become another irritant.

I may try another.

EP 1

So much hate. I didn't mind it at all. In fact, I liked it. Granted the annoying sidekick, aka the male high school student, reminds me of that mega yaoi-trap loving idiot from Ranpo. Hopefully it that part of him dies out. So far so good.

Also, the female MC reminds me of an older version of Yuuko Kanoe from Dusk Maiden of Amnesia.

Episode 2:

I really dunno how Japanese law enforcement works, but I'm pretty sure you can't mess around with a crime scene like that. You can get arrested. Just how influential Sakurako-san is? Also, that bit where she's suddenly surrounded by animal skeletons or some shit... Uh is that going to be a thing every episode? Because it's kinda cringey. It's like some sort of mahou shoujo henshin scene.

mixed feelings about the second episode.

the terrible logic and ethics involving the police and crime scenes remain intact. Once again bone lady does as she pleases around a newly discovered dead body...........though granted if she hadn't, the police may have been too late finding the baby. Next, the officer gets stabbed, and then the crazy guy threatens the lives of others and he doesn't draw his gun????

On the good side, I can't really complain about the case itself, it was viable stuff and it bred a decent level of emotion. Could help feeling a bit choked up when Bone lady pleaded for the baby not to leave his sister alone.

We also now have an actual reason why bone lady keeps the brat around, he apparently reminds her of some kid from her past.......and kudos to him not being entirely useless this episode.

I was hoping the episode would be so bad that I could drop the show with no regrets but I can't make that call off this episode.........

Episode 2:

The episode was a small improvement over the first episode, but it was still full of face palm worthy shit.
We learn a bit more about what makes bone lady tick, but it's not that interesting. It's the same old missing friend/relative that motivates most of those types. It does explain her relationship with the boy a bit more.

However, the case itself is full of stupid bullshit and doesn't reflect well on bone ladies ability. She noticed the broken bone, but that didn't lead to identifying the child and they never would have if random friend hadn't happened to show up and recognize the girl. Just as they wouldn't have found the culprit if he hadn't happened to come back to the house at the right time.

Plus, the stupid bone graphic looks retarded as she goes in science mode and messes with a crime scene. The cops in this anime are worthless and incompetent. They just let her do whatever the fuck she wants as she makes her bullshit observations or observations that should be glaringly obvious to everyone. She just comes off as silly at these times. Either she's taking huge leaps in logic or just pulling BS out of he r ass that come from her having to have read ahead in the script.

Overall, this anime leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's so fucking stupid and requires the viewer to turn off their brain to enjoy all the stupid shit. This episode was better than the first, but it was still barely watchable because the solving of the case hinges on huge coincidences rather than any skill on bone ladies part.

It's still pretty fucking stupid, but better than last week, but that's not much of an achievement.

Yep ZK, this wasn't completely inane like the premiere but there's still a crap-ton of room to improve.
Everything just came together a bit too conveniently. The part with the whole idea of the kid being abused seemed pointless since it had nothing to do with what had happened. Sakurako checking that kid's body as well seemed rather weird since there wasn't any reason to do so. The kid was unharmed so it just seemed like another opportunity to make her look smart was jumped on. Then there was how the case was resolved only because they happened to run into some random girl with valuable info the moment their lead dries up.

The whole "let's solve the mystery" scene with the cgi skeletons just seems dumb and video-gamey. That un-subtle foreshadowing seems to be hinting at some ham-handed drama down the line.

Also, that stupid "cops are incapable bystanders who have no authority over the protagonists" trope reared it's head for what I'm willing to bet won't be the least time

The OP and ED are lame btw

Last edited:
Back