Hetalia: Axis Powers

valondar

[sadht]Hetalia: Axis Powers[/sadht][sadhl=2286]hetalia-axis-powers[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

This being the story of the wimpy guy Italy and how he really bothered Germany and Germany's pal Japan during World War II. It's stranger than it sounds? It's funnier than it sounds? PEOPLE DRINK BEER OUT OF THEIR BOOTS DURING THE ENDING CREDITS? There's a chibi section each week about Italy's history usually how a cutesy young kid is being brutalised by the major European powers? ALSO THE BOOTS DID I MENTION THOSE BOOTS THAT'S KIND OF IMPORTANT?

Hahaha.

LOVE this. Most demented anime comedy premise ever. Much love comes from just how utterly absurd the whole thing is (AND THEN IT GETS WHAAAA?) but the execution isn't half bad either.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh i love this show. i can't eat pasta without thinking about it

pastaaaaaaaaaaaa! LOL

You'd think Italy would be more upset than Korea about it.
Oh, naturally. So far most of the humour has been at Italy's expense. I can only assume Korea isn't depicted so nicely in the comic?

Glad to see I'm not alone in enjoying this show either.

i forced myself through 4 episodes to add, but was totally uninterested and didnt find it funny basically at all. could be that i'm not as interested in politics or world issues, but i found it to be overly chibified and too shoujo-esque to appreciate.

Well, I can see sothis's point, but really part of the reason I find it so funny is that the show has a ridiculously inane approach to serious, weighty stuff like politics and war.

When Italy is turned into a needy but well meaning dunce who took a liking to Germany when Germany captured him during World War I (don't ask) and who was lazing about when Germany formed the Axis with Japan (seriously don't ask) and also we've had the standard episode where our best friends forever are stranded on a desert island... only, um, they're the powers of the Axis. Yeah. Did I mention his needy relationship with his big brother France? I'm not sure how that will play into the war, but we'll see...

I just can't stop laughing so this series is certainly doing something right. I had no idea I'd like it this much. Bottom line: This is the cutiest, fluffiest, most innocous show about the personification of fascist states you'll ever see. And it's friggin' hilarious.

Episode 6
'Your anger is Chopin.'

Yes I had another connipition fit. I definitely think this is a love it or leave it sort of show with the odd cultural/historical references DONE ABSURDLY, but this is so up my river it's positively frightening.

Episode 7
So apparently 'Italy' isn't 'Italy' at all... just Northern Italy. At least whenever they want to introduce his brother, Romano or Southern Italy, who really doesn't like Germany and demonstrates this by using fake moustaches to imagine Germany has a moustache (his fatal flaw: PERSPECTIVE!)

Also America eats lots of fast food (that's not stereotyped at all, no?) How does he keep so slim and bishonen?

Episode 8:

Um...
I've been told in the chibitalia section that the Holy Roman Empire and Austria are two different people. My brain exploded. I mean I sort of understand the logic for it but there are still pieces of gray matter being picked out of the pavement.

Also with Germany and Italy captured is it time for the atom bomb? Will it be a cutesy firecracker thrown as a prank by America? Okay I'm stopping this completely tasteless questioning right now.

I just can't stop laughing so this series is certainly doing something right. I had no idea I'd like it this much. Bottom line: This is the cutiest, fluffiest, most innocous show about the personification of fascist states you'll ever see. And it's friggin' hilarious.

Oh, Valondar. Forgive me for not heeding your advice sooner. I started this last night and It. Is. Brilliant. The first scene with the countries meeting in some kind of conference just had me rolling. It was so aware of world politics and so sharp, I'm surprised it wasn't made in Europe. The scene of France trying to disagree with both the US and UK at the same time while dozens rose petals appeared in the background was hilarious. That's France down to a tee. Also liked the fact that Lithuania, Estonia, Belarus and the likes were referenced. Not often you see something like that.

Of course, the rest has been great too, with the story of Italy's childhood (only one episode in at the moment), where he learns how to draw and announces "It feels like I'm in the Renaissance!". Ace.

In short, this is something I wish I'd had the imagination to write. It's both stupid and clever at the same time, and South Korea fails for objecting to this, no matter how their country is portrayed. I just hope it doesn't fall apart in later episodes.

Just caught up to episode 16. I simply don't understand it; no show has the right to reference Guy Mollet, the Hundred Years War and the development of the Japanese writing system and yet still remain funny. But here we are.

Season 1 may be ongoing, but Season 2's going straight in my "must watch" pile.

I have to say that I think this anime is pretty terrible but it does have a funny moment every now and then. I just finished episode 19 and I admit that I laughed my ass off when...

they did the meeting and revealed Canada as basically the invisible, quiet younger twin of America. As a Canadian myself, I don't personally see us that way, but I can totally see where their coming from and I know that there are probably a lot of other countries that do.

Nevertheless it made my night :P.

Just watched episode 20. Aside from the opening with Germany, and Italy with the grenade, I'd have to say the show has kind of fallen off track in the last 3 or 4 episodes. I think Hetalia's losing a little bit of steam.

I have to say that I think this anime is pretty terrible but it does have a funny moment every now and then. I just finished episode 19 and I admit that I laughed my ass off when...

they did the meeting and revealed Canada as basically the invisible, quiet younger twin of America. As a Canadian myself, I don't personally see us that way, but I can totally see where their coming from and I know that there are probably a lot of other countries that do.

Nevertheless it made my night :P.

i laughed hard at that :laugh: loved that he was holding a polar bear too XD

Back