Last Exile: Fam, The Silver Wing

whyface

Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam

Synopsis, Screenshots, Recommendations ~ Add recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

[ Air Date: October 14, expect subs to be 3-4 days behind. ]
[ PV #1: @ youtube, non-eng sub ]
[ PV #2: @ youtube ]
[ ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=12501 ]

Steampunk, flying, it can't possibly go wrong!*

*please don't f--- it up, gonzo

Last edited:
I have not seen announcements by any fansub groups that they are picking the show up. Which is not terribly surprising, because supposedly, the show was to be streamed (subbed) by animax and funimation...

LASTEXILE - no working links to watch this show
Watch LASTEXILE -Fam, The Silver Wing- - Watch Anime & Live Action Streaming Episodes & Video Online - nor here
| Watch Anime at the Official FUNimation Anime Online Community <- They don't even have this show on their own fucking schedule.

I don't know what is going on, but it sure is sucking.

info edit: raws are readily available if you don't need or want subtitles -_-

I have not seen announcements by any fansub groups that they are picking the show up. Which is not terribly surprising, because supposedly, the show was to be streamed (subbed) by animax and funimation...

LASTEXILE - no working links to watch this show
Watch LASTEXILE -Fam, The Silver Wing- - Watch Anime & Live Action Streaming Episodes & Video Online - nor here
| Watch Anime at the Official FUNimation Anime Online Community <- They don't even have this show on their own fucking schedule.

I don't know what is going on, but it sure is sucking.

info edit: raws are readily available if you don't need or want subtitles -_-
Yeah, I thought it was supposed to be simulcasted somewhere as well, but haven't seen any mention of it. The fact that there's raws available and still no one has subbed it is what's puzzling for me.

It's going to be very disappointing if this continues :(

It's HERE! Finaly subbed.

First episode were a bit confusing. With new world, entirely different political situation and technology progresed a bit as well

Anyway
Dio is alive and kicking! Flying pirates seems to be interesting settings and two new main characters aren't half bad (I still like Levy and Klaus more, at least for now). I also wonder if Dio will become male lead or what.

This season isn't wasted yet.

just watched the first episode and it epically.... BAD, animation wise at least since i cant tell much about the plot yet. the CGI sticks out too much that it hurts the eye. to be honest I am quite disappointed.

just watched the first episode and it epically.... BAD, animation wise at least since i cant tell much about the plot yet. the CGI sticks out too much that it hurts the eye. to be honest I am quite disappointed.
Whaaaaaa? I mean look, I think they really just shoved a whole lot of plotline down our throats, but your top problem is the animation, which is quite possibly the best thing about the series? Crazy!

I will say that the first episode is mildly disappointing though. Here's to hoping it won't continue into becoming the realm of crapfest.

He's not alone. I too liked just about everything but the CG and am glad to see I'm not the only one. Like the first series, the character animation and designs look great, absolutely great, but just doesn't blend well with the CGI at all. Gonzo very much kept the look of the old series, skipping the popular cel-shaded look (that they're usually bad at anyway so I approve) yet not really going too far in making it look like hand painted backgrounds like Macross Frontier, for example. It really looks like they animated it just after the first show, with a decades worth of CGI blending advancements all but ignored. It's somewhat better than before, but not like other, younger and supposedly lesser studios have done. They're not even all that detailed and the cloud layering in the beginning was pretty cheap looking.

It's at its worst with the Van Ships as you have outlined, handdrawn characters often clumsily composited into very smooth, somewhat paint shaded CG. The cockpits just plain stick out like sore thumbs. Especially when you first see it. Though the worst was Dio's roll; he looked pasted on. There's very little detail on some of these skins, and it barely matches the look of the tradition animation, so it just makes it look cheap. High end, yet still cheap. These are just above the look of the old Ps2 games Gonzo started on. Which is a shame, since they'd finally moved beyond that.

It's not the worst I've seen, far from it, but it's definitely no where near the best thing about the series and mostly seems there for the sake of being there. It was the key reason I couldn't really watch the first show, which I should love based on concept and Murata alone. Though I also attribute that to G4 airing it dubbed and not being able to separate Freeman from Alucard as well as all the lavish praise the look of the show got in Geneon's release. I though it far from "the most beautiful looking anime ever" splattered on the DVD cases. The hype machine killed it for me way back when. Though I shouldn't be having that problem here.

No one's crazy for not liking CGI in anime, by the way, no matter how well done you think it is. It's very much to personal tastes. I've pretty much hated CGI used for CGI's sake in shows from the get go, since it never blended. So I'm a bit harder than most, and it doesn't help that I can rarely appreciate the elements themselves (I've just never liked the look of it, nor though it "cool" like I do traditional and it doesn't help when it's screaming for attention). The CG in Blue Sub no 6 (as well as Hellsing though not for the CG) put Gonzo on my trash list for ages until Gankutsuou. Only recently have I mellowed about it and found myself able to tolerate it if used well enough in a good show. Unfortunately, thanks to Gonzo, we can't really get any mecha series without it these days, though great strides have been made in getting it to blend. Cel-shading is getting to a point where it no longer looks worst than simply going photo-real (or should I say "game-ish"), as evidenced by the minimally used, near seamless shots in Eva 2.22 (not the Angels, but the few Eva shots) and Gundam Unicorn; though I generally prefer the brush stroke look. Unfortunately, Fam doesn't really do either.

Still, I actually liked the characters a bit, and found it a bit easier to get into despite the ton of backplot dropped in it and some hectic pacing; so I'll give it a few more episodes at least. I want to like Last Exile, I really do. It's supposed to be Gonzo's serious masterpiece and reprieve from their usual garbage like Hellsing and Burst Angel. I just wish Gonzo would learn to stop taking such great designs and making it look like a video game. Though I suppose it's still better than their inconsistent animation in Speed Grapher and the two shows edited together that was the look of Vandread.

Man, I really haven't thoroughly posted true content here in ages. Good old AP.

He's not alone. I too liked just about everything but the CG and am glad to see I'm not the only one. Like the first series, the character animation and designs look great, absolutely great, but just doesn't blend well with the CGI at all. Gonzo very much kept the look of the old series, skipping the popular cel-shaded look (that they're usually bad at anyway so I approve) yet not really going too far in making it look like hand painted backgrounds like Macross Frontier, for example. It really looks like they animated it just after the first show, with a decades worth of CGI blending advancements all but ignored. It's somewhat better than before, but not like other, younger and supposedly lesser studios have done. They're not even all that detailed and the cloud layering in the beginning was pretty cheap looking.

It's at its worst with the Van Ships as you have outlined, handdrawn characters often clumsily composited into very smooth, somewhat paint shaded CG. The cockpits just plain stick out like sore thumbs. Especially when you first see it. Though the worst was Dio's roll; he looked pasted on. There's very little detail on some of these skins, and it barely matches the look of the tradition animation, so it just makes it look cheap. High end, yet still cheap. These are just above the look of the old Ps2 games Gonzo started on. Which is a shame, since they'd finally moved beyond that.

It's not the worst I've seen, far from it, but it's definitely no where near the best thing about the series and mostly seems there for the sake of being there. It was the key reason I couldn't really watch the first show, which I should love based on concept and Murata alone. Though I also attribute that to G4 airing it dubbed and not being able to separate Freeman from Alucard as well as all the lavish praise the look of the show got in Geneon's release. I though it far from "the most beautiful looking anime ever" splattered on the DVD cases. The hype machine killed it for me way back when. Though I shouldn't be having that problem here.

No one's crazy for not liking CGI in anime, by the way, no matter how well done you think it is. It's very much to personal tastes. I've pretty much hated CGI used for CGI's sake in shows from the get go, since it never blended. So I'm a bit harder than most, and it doesn't help that I can rarely appreciate the elements themselves (I've just never liked the look of it, nor though it "cool" like I do traditional and it doesn't help when it's screaming for attention). The CG in Blue Sub no 6 (as well as Hellsing though not for the CG) put Gonzo on my trash list for ages until Gankutsuou. Only recently have I mellowed about it and found myself able to tolerate it if used well enough in a good show. Unfortunately, thanks to Gonzo, we can't really get any mecha series without it these days, though great strides have been made in getting it to blend. Cel-shading is getting to a point where it no longer looks worst than simply going photo-real (or should I say "game-ish"), as evidenced by the minimally used, near seamless shots in Eva 2.22 (not the Angels, but the few Eva shots) and Gundam Unicorn; though I generally prefer the brush stroke look. Unfortunately, Fam doesn't really do either.

Still, I actually liked the characters a bit, and found it a bit easier to get into despite the ton of backplot dropped in it and some hectic pacing; so I'll give it a few more episodes at least. I want to like Last Exile, I really do. It's supposed to be Gonzo's serious masterpiece and reprieve from their usual garbage like Hellsing and Burst Angel. I just wish Gonzo would learn to stop taking such great designs and making it look like a video game. Though I suppose it's still better than their inconsistent animation in Speed Grapher and the two shows edited together that was the look of Vandread.

@ viduus this pretty much summed up all i wanted to say, I am just not good with writing walls of texts.

(Putting your text in a spoiler so my short response doesn't take up half a page)

So, I've gotta ask, did you watch this is a lower resolution, ie: streaming, or something like 480p? It seems to me that the higher quality res you can watch this in would make all the difference. Personally I thought it looked great, but I guess it's personal preference. I've seen CG that's so-so (Freedom) where everything looks stiff and each moving part seemed stiff and disconnected from everything else, but I didn't see anything like that here.

Episode 1

beautiful, love the hybrid animation... it helps to give a feeling of weight to the airships. very interested in the tie-ins with the original series.

kind of trite:
suddenly, war breaks out in the peaceful kingdom of wherever! but oh no, the king is sick, and so his N daughter(s) must save the kingdom in his stead... zzz i'm sure it will become more complicated as the series airs but c'mon!

definitely my passion of the season, airships are so fucking win!

meh. it's like they just shuffled the setting up, and replaced most of the cast with moe-moe kyun! girls.

Not a fan of Fam.

but i'll stick with it a bit... see how it works out.

Once we got past the pantless lake ceremony, I rather enjoyed it.

Not sure how I feel about Fam. Between her and Dio that's an awful lot of crazy.

In begining I was woried about lack of important male characters, but Dio doing suprisingly good job as protagonist despite him being ehm... Dio.

Even though it's Maaya Sakamoto, the new OP is just not working for me. The new ED is fine though.

Episode 2:
"That's no moon." Come on, you were thinking it.

So if one of those was an Exile, they probably all are.

Liliana is apparently another Alvis, because I guess they couldn't come up with any new ideas. That being the case, it's rather odd that the Turans, who one would think knew about this, were all worried about Milia instead. There is, presumably, a good reason for this.

Luskinia's actions are a bit clearer now. If I understood right, he has some sort of obsession with the Exile ships. He seemed to be saying that there were two distinct groups of colonists, and he's making it his business to wipe out the people descended from the second group. So I guess that is the what, but I didn't catch a why. Is he just supposed to be steampunk Hitler on Planet X?

O...kay......

I dunno, there's just way too much going on at once, without much explanation or reasoning. I may need to go back and watch some of the first season again because I wonder if I'm just not remembering enough from there to make cohesive sense of what's going on here >.>

Don't get me wrong, I love me some CG airship battles, I just...

I just wish I knew why these things were happening :P

Don't get me wrong, I love me some CG airship battles, I just...

I just wish I knew why these things were happening :P

Just got done watching the subbed episodes on the FUNIMATION site. (ep1-2)
I think its already clear why they are fighting.
The lake is sacred because it has pure water in it, and If I recall in the prior one, water was a precious resource... "How did you get water of such purity?" etc etc.. The leader of the red-finned ship made a comment, that "The only way to restore peace to this world is to quell the excessive population." or something along that line.. In other words.. too many people, too little good land/resources. Aside from that the attacking fleets are from a war-kingdom anyway, which have been building weapons for more than a decade... and they've locked eyes on a weaker kingdom (combat wise) that wishes to promote peace before war. AKA: an easy target. All this I got from episode 2 so I'm placing it in spoiler wrapping. Have to wait for the next episode to come out to get anymore plot from it. Meh.

Back