V3 Preview: Recommendation Filters

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
V3 is right around the corner (~3-4 week ETA launch date as of the date of this posting), so every few days I'm going to post a preview of what's to come. V3 has a very different (and better) design, so hopefully these preview shots will help with the transition.

Given there's still a lot of work to be done, please realize that asking questions unrelated to the exact screenshot posted will bog me down and will slow down V3 launch.

With each showcase image I'll also make a note of things missing from the images - these images are real and fully coded/working on the beta site, but there will likely always be a few missing pieces we're still handling.

Recommendation Filters

recfilters.jpg

In addition to having a new look, the recommendation section will now allow dynamic filtering of certain elements. Regulars will recognize two of the buttons. What you are seeing is below the main anime information (there's a page jump above for the recs section)

Buttons:
-TV, Movies, OVAs, Other: when these are ON, you will see recommendations of those anime types [for manga, these will be replaced with something like 'normal' and then 'one shot']. If one of these is OFF, you will not see that anime type.

-Only unmarked: will only show recommendations for titles you have not marked ANY STATUS

-Only unwatched: will only show recommendations for titles you have not marked WATCHED

*unwatched/unmarked are 'either or' - you can only have one of these on at a time

-Only friend recs: will be rudimentary at first - will only show recommendations made by anyone in any of your friend groups [*friend groups will be explained later, so no questions on it please :)]

Applying a filter will dynamically update the results - meaning the page will not reload.

The above image would show TV, movie and Other (special, music video, web) recs that I haven't marked in my list, and were recommended by friends only.

Pagination bar:

-Results are now paginated, 5 recs per page. Those of you who have been around since AP's conception (8 years ago) will recognize that this is something we used to do.

-You can easily see how many results are filtered, and clear the filters with a single click. If you have filtered too much, you'll see a big notice suggesting you clear the filters.

-Filters will not remain static throughout other entries - you'll need to reapply the filters if you clicked to a new anime page. This is not because of a lack of desire, but because of a lack of time/$. In V3.X you'll be able to set settings like this in your profile (ie, always show me only things that are unmarked). Depending on time/$ we may put this into V3.0.

-'add rec' button is in each recommendation. there will be a big 'add recommendations' button above the recs, but we haven't figured out the best way to style it yet.

What isn't in the screenshot:

1. Spacing is messed up a bit in the reason box - this is because of a DB issue that will be cleaned up right before launch

2. Since I know someone might bring it up otherwise, the plus image isn't done yet (has a white bg on the pink)

3. A big 'add recommendations' section isnt in yet

4. Filter by tags/other stuff - there's no room and/or time/budget to do this, but eventually we may allow filtering by other things. There will at minimum be a heading for 'anime, manga, or both' for recommendation types, once we have the system set up to allow cross recs (v3.x)

5. Screenshots and other anime info - will not be in the recommendations. You'll need to go to the anime pages for the full info.

Last edited:
I saw that rocky horror picture show reference up there ^^.

Excellent look though, I like the clean lined feel to it.

it looks great already, i can hardly wait till it's done

~goes and watches anime till it's done~

Wow, it looks great!!
I can't wait until it's released! only 4~ish weeks!
Thank you very much for your hard work! :D

im glad people are excited!

look forward to new screenshots every few days till launch ^_^

Sweet can't wait now that we have a time frame to look forward to! lol these 3-4 weeks are going to be long now :p

of course as always it's a tenative ETA, but i'm hoping we can hit it! depends on time/$ as always

OMG< it's looking even sexier... I remember when Alpha Came out, Sothis was so tired from coding. I hope this is not straining her. considering how sexy the new interface looks.

Would you consider making an iphone app for this site? than we can keep in touch on the move =)

I haven't been around a lot lately, and left about the time V2 was just launched.

And now I see your almost ready to launch the version 3!

I admire your dedication to the site, maybe that's the reason I keep on coming back

Back