Wangan Midnight

Kensai

Wangan Midnight

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

YES!!! It's finally been made an anime =)
Judging from the first episode it seems to have been made with the same CGA as Initial D, and reminds very much of it in other aspects as well.
So far I've only seen a group called [OMFG] subbing it, but I'm sure others will pick it up, as the series already has a dedicated group of followers ever since the manga released.
Great series I recomend all car lovers =) The Nissan Fairlady Z that protaganist drives is SUUUWEEETO DA!

Edit: Doh, some op better move this to "Currently Airing Anime", kthxbye

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, i watched the first episode and it looked like a good Initial D substitute.

I will be following this for this season.

^^sounds like a rec! ;)

if there wasnt only one ep out, id harass everyone for the synopsis/screens ^_^, haha

Finished watching Initial D yesterday, gonna start watching this one now -,-
I've been told it's a good one

Ep 8:
What was Kitami trying to do here? It's as if he was trying to manipulate Koichi. Man, I don't like the character Kitami

Screenshot-233.png

Screenshot-232.png

Ep 9:
This dude goes to visit a hospitalized for overworking person and says this? Bruh, how insensitive can you be!

Screenshot-234.png

i might think Initial D is a tad better than Wangan Midnight.
Same, I actually dropped watching Wangan Midnight the first time I started watching for various reasons. But recently I started watching it again and I've watched 12 eps. It took me some time to actually get interested and I still won't say that I got hooked.

I do not compare Wangan Midnight and Initial D and say stuff like it's not like Initial D that's why I'm disappointed. Wangan Midnight itself does not interest me. I feel it's kinda meh. And I feel that the characters are missing depth. I still can't figure out why they be racing ;v they all keep saying stuff like, "oh I'm so lonely, only my car understands me so imma drive". It would still be understandable if one or two of them were saying this, almost all of them are like this ;v

Same, I actually dropped watching Wangan Midnight the first time I started watching for various reasons. But recently I started watching it again and I've watched 12 eps. It took me some time to actually get interested and I still won't say that I got hooked.

I do not compare Wangan Midnight and Initial D and say stuff like it's not like Initial D that's why I'm disappointed. Wangan Midnight itself does not interest me. I feel it's kinda meh. And I feel that the characters are missing depth. I still can't figure out why they be racing ;v they all keep saying stuff like, "oh I'm so lonely, only my car understands me so imma drive". It would still be understandable if one or two of them were saying this, almost all of them are like this ;v
i watched it in 2009, so i dont remember the character details clearly. from what you say and what i remember, i guess the characters are like that, because it's when driving they find peace, or are free.
i kind of find it that way myself too, there is something nice about driving alone on the street at 2 or 3 at night when there is absolutely no one else. i dont race though.

i watched it in 2009, so i dont remember the character details clearly. from what you say and what i remember, i guess the characters are like that, because it's when driving they find peace, or are free.
i kind of find it that way myself too, there is something nice about driving alone on the street at 2 or 3 at night when there is absolutely no one else. i dont race though.
I totally understand what you're saying, I don't have a car nor do I drive around but I have stuff too which I find peaceful to do.
But as I said,
It would still be understandable if one or two of them were saying this, almost all of them are like this

At least in Initial D, we knew exactly why each of them was racing or even driving, they had clear goals in their minds which made it even more interesting. And the satisfaction I would get from each of their races can not be compared with anything else.

Maybe it's just me but I don't like stuff where people be doing random shits without any reason or any motive, there's just no fun to smth like this is what I think.

I totally understand what you're saying, I don't have a car nor do I drive around but I have stuff too which I find peaceful to do.
But as I said,

At least in Initial D, we knew exactly why each of them was racing or even driving, they had clear goals in their minds which made it even more interesting. And the satisfaction I would get from each of their races can not be compared with anything else.

Maybe it's just me but I don't like stuff where people be doing random shits without any reason or any motive, there's just no fun to smth like this is what I think.
i just remembered there is a Wangan Midnight game too, i dont know if the anime is based on that or if it the other way around. that could explain something about the characters. characters in game based animes doesnt always get that much depth to them.
anyway, try and finish the anime :) you will see a nice car as last boss :)

try and finish the anime :) you will see a nice car as last boss :)
hmm, now I'm suddenly interested xd
I've watched 15 eps and just stopped watching because I have semester final exams but I'll keep this piece of info in mind and try to finish watching it ;v

I went into Wangan Midnight with an open mind knowing it is not Initial D and what I found is this is a pretty solid series, however I found there're many similarities to Initial D not only in character design but also the CGI sequences as well. Which isn't a bad thing really! What I will say is what Initial D lacks WM makes up for, eg ID places it's focus on the drifting and the race tension and build up, couple this with the audience anticipation and it really does get the hype train moving when a showdown will take place, add to this the characters and that thumping Eurobeat OST and you have a brilliant formula for a racing series but it doesn't focus on the tuning aspect as much. It is mentioned from time to time about changes in tires etc but it really doesn't focus on the intimate details that are involved in breaking down an engine or how much bhp is being produced etc well this is where WM shines as not only does it teach us about the true tuning culture of highway racing in Japan it also shows us just how people will go out of their way to get that increase in speed. Overall I really enjoyed this series but I did feel that that the races weren't as exciting as ID purely as there was no audience participation which made them feel not as important as the characters were making them out to be. I will say though that this really is a brilliant series and I thoroughly enjoyed it , if you're looking for something to get petrol flowing through your veins since watching ID then this is the series for you!

Back