Anime tags that matter to you

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
We're finishing up the design for the new anime homepage (ap.com/anime) and will have a section for quick browsing by genre. Because not all important tags are genres, itll be titled 'browse by tag/genre' with all genres + some important tags people use a lot, and a link to see the rest.

Genres (all listed):

Action
Adventure
Comedy
Drama
Ecchi
Fantasy
Harem
Horror
Magical Girl
Mecha
Mystery
Reverse Harem
Romance
Sci Fi
Shoujo
Shoujo-ai
Shounen
Shounen-ai
Slice of Life
Sports

Additional tags I think should be in there:

Family Friendly (good for parents looking for stuff for the kiddies)
Ninja (maybe?)
Samurai (maybe?)
Vampires (definitely)

Keep in mind this list can't be huge, and we dont care about having duplications (ie, having panty shots when ecchi is already there is pointless).

Please list tags that you think are important/sought after enough that they should be in the list; keep it short and simple :)

Supernatural is the first that springs to mind for me. Can't really think of any others that I'd find more important. Plus there's a fair amount of supernatural anime around.

Another possibility would be Otaku Culture, though that doesn't have as many series. For me though, the main one would be supernatural.

Edit: I also like the idea of putting Samurai and Ninja as main tags. people may want to see samurai/ninja anime past the fairly obvious Naruto and Kenshin stuff.

Should there maybe be any of these?:

- Psychological: I consider this to be my favorite genre, and don't know how else to classify the anime under it. Those which the characters psyche is an important aspect of the anime, as well as your own psyche being warped by it. Also similar to "mindf---" genre.

- Experimental: or "artsy" as I like to call it, those anime that seem to have a distict style and are hard to classify in more conventional terms. I suppose this may be too broad though.

- Historical: I certainly don't look for these too often, but it seems like a genre on it's own.

- High School: Possibly falls under some sort of Drama/slice of life/romance/comedy but high school life seems to be a distinctive trait of many anime.

- Political: Haven't ever heard of this tag being used before, but when I describe certain anime to others, what comes to mind is "political", such as most Gundam series.

I agree with Supernatural as well, it's a pretty important genre tag. Family friendly is a good choice, I'm not so sure about ninja/samurai/vampire though, those seem off track from the rest.

I would definatly keep the Ninja and Samurai tags. I would also keep the fighting tag as well asany of the thriller tags. Also and if not Samurai atleast swordsmen cause its a bigger umbrella for that.

Are we still gonna have the huge list that we have now somewhere? Cause I personally LOVE that list and I use it really often.

I think Samurai and Ninja should be included.

Going along with what others have said previous, I agree on Historical, Supernatural, and Psychological.

I also think a tag for the very violent/bloody/gory shows like Afro Samurai, Kurozaku, Berzerk (I'm assuming), ect. should be included.

- Experimental: or "artsy" as I like to call it, those anime that seem to have a distict style and are hard to classify in more conventional terms. I suppose this may be too broad though.
There is no Experimental tag. Closest equivalent is Abstract, which I agree would be a rather useful tag (one of the few I regularly check on) but there's currently only a small list of titles.

sasuke: we will, this is just for the anime home page specifically. this smaller list will then have a 'see all tags/genres' link at the bottom.

Vampires/Samurai/Ninja are a great idea as they are VERY popular among viewers

Supernatural
Psychological (debatable but better than putting mindf*ck on the front page :P)
Family Friendly
Music

Post-apocalyptic (as this has a lot of robots/androids/cyberpunk)
Violence (adds in all that gory/mature stuff without sounding so bad)
RPG (or Visual Novel if/when added as a tag)

I dunno if you are including manga in this list or not but if so
One shots

I'm still gonna push the Romantic Comedy genre. To me, there's a decent different between Romance, Comedy, and Romantic Comedy.

given how sub tags work, clicking either romance OR comedy would show you romantic comedy ones too.

remember this should be important tags others would highly click - i doubt people would explicitly choose romantic comedy over romance/comedy much (and given the lack of a lot of space, that sort of thing is important)

I still think loli should be a tag. I think boxing should be a tag as well, because sometimes that's just what you're in the mood for. I also think that medieval or epic should be considered for shows of the Lodoss War and Berserk type.

Historical anime is among of my favorite anime genres and should be recognized as such.

Samurai/Ninja is arguably too historical anime (in broad definition of that word). After all samurais and ninjas existed in reality, they just were not superhuman as shown in Naruto or Bleach. So maybe we need 2 new genres (or tag for sub-genre): Historical and Historicaly themed.

Similarly, I always wanted Mythological tag. It maybe close to Fantasy but based on real mythology. I always preferred anime based on Japanese mythology (such as Wagaya no Oinari-sama) over generic fantasy.

this thread isnt about new tags, it's about choosing from the existing tags for a small subset that will show up on anime home.

Back