Post badge ideas here!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
-Anything site-based (ie, made x recs, made x reviews)

-Anything clever and site-based (be creative!). For example, left x comments on someone's birthday, left someone a comment on their first day, added a review on a sunday (no idea why this would be a badge but to give you an idea of how wacky it could be)

-Anything list-related, the sky's the limit here. IE, marked x characters loved. Marked 5 naruto titles as [status]. Rated x titles as [score]. Watched 3 of the 'big 5' shounen titles (one piece, naruto, whatever). 'Trendy' - watched [a set of really overhyped series here].

or anything else you can think of!

- made [whatever number] friends
- watched [whatever number] of gundam series (same can go for any other series that has over lets say 10 different titles)
- watching 5 current airing series: 10, 20, 30
- Never dropped/stalled an anime
- really big won't watch lists / want to watch say 200+ or something
- have over 20 of animals in their favourites list
- have 50 favourite anime: 100, 500
- loves [whatever tag] for characters. must have over 20 in favourites
- comments on blogs 10+
- comments on anime/manga user reviews 20+
- comments on official site reviews 10+
- ratings obsessed. constantly changing their scores around at least once every 3 days or something
- any fun tags that aren't genres like pirate, ninja, samurai, Monsters, aliens. watched over 20 titles with these tags
- set 10 anime as watched in one day (maybe not though since new members would be doing that) perhaps after a month of joining the site this could be eligible.
- when leaving a comment uses something other than the "Konnichiwa!" tag. 20 times for all and get a badge for each one.

I'll so have more ideas later XD

these are great!

one thing to consider is that badges like 'watching [x] currently airing' and things with avg ratings etc, is that those are subject to change outside of the user's control. ie, it would be weird if they unlock the badge, but then maybe the avg rating of one of those series changes, and suddenly they lose the badge. they log on, and see they lost something and think wtf?

for this reason im trying to keep badges, at least for now, to things that *wont* change. for example, watched 5 naruto titles, instead of 'watched all naruto titles' - given if another is added later, now that one doesnt apply anymore. with things like a person's own ratings, they're the only one who changes those so it's easier.

though i just realized a really good point regarding comments, ie what happens when someone deletes a comment? does the person lose the badge too? will follow up wiht dev on that

-Got here by accident when looking for Animal Planet
Don't know how we'd implement that but there ya go.

How bout badges for genres like "Psycho fan" for psychological or "Knight Watchman" for adventure or something. Family time for those who watch a lot of anime that have the tage "incest" or something....

-Got here by accident when looking for Animal Planet
Don't know how we'd implement that but there ya go.

How bout badges for genres like "Psycho fan" for psychological or "Knight Watchman" for adventure or something. Family time for those who watch a lot of anime that have the tage "incest" or something....

You could do Animal-Planet for those who watched X shows with the animal tag listed.

Devotee - Logged in for more than (90 or some other number) consecutive days.
Easily Distracted (or A.D.D.) - More than 50 (or 25?) stalled series.

Recruiter - Recommended AP to X people.
Hard to Please - Average anime rating below 2.5

Hard to Please (or something like that) could also be a good badge for having more than a certain number of dropped anime.

Character Arbiter - Has posted [x] amount of times in the "Character Submissions Help Needed Forum"

(An arbiter has no real authority but his/her opinion is valued)

Character Suggester - Has submitted [x] amount of characters to be used in the database or posted [x] amount of times in the Character Submissions Forum.

Character Crazy - Has posed [x] (a large amount) of times in the Character Submission Form

Show some love for those of us who aren't character mods but still like to occasionally help out in the Character Submission Forum anyways =)

EDIT: Just realized you said Badges for site and not Forum so you can disregard all of that >_<
Except maybe Character Submission since that is done through the main site

Last edited:
-[Studio name] fan: Watched more than [set a number] anime done by that studio. It'd also be nice for directors, mangaka...
-Short stuff fan: Watched more than X anime tagged as ''shorts'' (or musical videos). Applicable to manga with one-shots, too.
-Long-running lover: Watched a series with over X episodes OR Watched X number of series with over X episodes.
-Recommendation master: Made over X recommendations. Sothis would have all badges for this lol.
-Reviewer: Wrote over X reviews.
-Marathon Winner: But of course! This awesome update is the perfect time to add another incentive to the monthly marathons. There could be one for each marathon.

Stressed that one since I think it's the best out of the ones I pointed out =P

(sneaking in a few oddball ideas while at work... names are of course just off the top of my head and likely not ideal)

Alphabet Soup - User has watched an anime starting with each letter of the alphabet
<Voice Actor> Fan - User has 'loved' X characters voiced by said actor
"Hey, I was watching that..." - Has watched X shows that were cancelled (no idea where you would find a list of those though -.-')
Say that five times fast - Has watched the anime (or manga) with the longest name in the database
Double your fun - Has both seen the anime and read the manga for X titles

Also, for something a little more normal, I think any franchise with three or more seasons could have a badge for seeing all of them. It might be possible to make the name of each one some sort of reference to the franchise in question too. (i.e. the one for SZS could mimic one his usual despair line :P)

Going where no man has gone before - watched 50 sci-fi titles
Brain Dead - has watched Bobobo/ Bakugan/ Beet the Vandel Buster
Sailor Star - watched 20 magical girl titles
Bookworm - has read more manga titles than watched anime titles
Hello Cleveland! - watched 10 musical titles
Rampant Rabbit - watched 50 ecchi titles
TACO Challenger - TACO member but it should have a Gir badge :D
Domo Arigato Mr Roboto - watched 50 mech series

H.

Going where no man has gone before - watched 50 sci-fi titles
Brain Dead - has watched Bobobo/ Bakugan/ Beet the Vandel Buster
Sailor Star - watched 20 magical girl titles
Bookworm - has read more manga titles than watched anime titles
Hello Cleveland! - watched 10 musical titles
Rampant Rabbit - watched 50 ecchi titles
TACO Challenger - TACO member but it should have a Gir badge :D
Domo Arigato Mr Roboto - watched 50 mech series

H.

Great genre badge ideas. :)

A couple more.

Over 9000!!! - watched 50 shounen series
Where's my Kleenex? - watched over 50 romance titles
Wait, what? - watched over 10 mindf*ck titles.

I suppose these could be watched or read.

Acknowledged - Is on Sothis' friends list. (Maybe some other name to make it seem less "Excluding")
ISSUPian - Watched/Read [fitting amount] of Ecchi series
Out of ideas for the moment, I blame lack of sleep.

-[Studio name] fan: Watched more than [set a number] anime done by that studio. It'd also be nice for directors, mangaka...

For this I think having watched a % rather than a # would work better. Since each studio is going to have a varying amount of shows produced.

so we do have a big batch of studio ones that are up, but not visible (hopefully will be tonight). it's for watched [x] of [studio]. the number varies depending on how many the studio has. % is difficult because then once you add more, suddenly the person might lose the badge.

we'll have similar badges for [person] etc ^_^

For this I think having watched a % rather than a # would work better. Since each studio is going to have a varying amount of shows produced.

Yeah, but there would be a badge (or badges) for each studio, so the amount of titles necessary for them would just need to be set independently. A percentage sounds good too, though. And it's less work for sothis and the others. =P

(sneaking in a few oddball ideas while at work... names are of course just off the top of my head and likely not ideal)

Alphabet Soup - User has watched an anime starting with each letter of the alphabet
<Voice Actor> Fan - User has 'loved' X characters voiced by said actor
"Hey, I was watching that..." - Has watched X shows that were cancelled (no idea where you would find a list of those though -.-')
Say that five times fast - Has watched the anime (or manga) with the longest name in the database
Double your fun - Has both seen the anime and read the manga for X titles

Also, for something a little more normal, I think any franchise with three or more seasons could have a badge for seeing all of them. It might be possible to make the name of each one some sort of reference to the franchise in question too. (i.e. the one for SZS could mimic one his usual despair line :P)

so the only issue with 'watched all of a franchise' is that the franchise might gain more titles in the future, and then the person would lose the badge (and would be really confusing). what we're trying to do instead is 'watched [x] titles of [x franchise]'. if we want them to have seen all gits and we dont think there will be more, we'd just make it the total number of gits series in the db.

however, we CAN do 'seen all' for deceased staff members, hence the thread in gen anime discussion i posted a few weeks ago. for example, saw all titles involving satoshi kon. unfortunately we cant put up the kon one for launch though since his last movie is releasing next year

Back