Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

azanimefan

[sadht]Tokyo Magnitude 8.0[/sadht][sadhl=2482]tokyo-magnitude-80[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

basically an anime about a major 8.0 earthquake hitting Tokyo. This apparently is an anime original story.

Last edited by a moderator:
the first ep is out. though it will probably take a bit of time to be subbed. there is a lot of writen text in the first episode.

for an anime on my must watch list for the summer... this first ep really sorta underwhelmed me. My gf did a pretty good job translating it as we watched (for a change lol). I don't know what to expect from this one. The premise seemed so different it seemed like it was worth a shot. But i wonder if it will turn out to be underwhelming (i think i already know where it's heading)

This is really that only anime from the upcoming list that really looked interesting. I'm looking forward to the sub coming out.
I'm hoping they've really tried to do something realistic here.

However, on this forum do people often talk about/post spoilers for anime that have aired but not yet been subbed?

Honestly I've tended to prefer shorter series (~13 episodes).

I watched the first episode and I think it looks promising. It's rather humble in its presenting, there's nothing flashy nor extraordinaire, rather it plays on the tune of simplicity. I don't know, it feels like there is quality in the content, and the overall visual budget does add to the humble yet quality appeal it has. Definitely one of the more interesting this season.

I really wonder what the second episode is going to be like. The first one was ofcourse an intro episode. Judging by the ending scene I think we can expect a personality change of the main character. Promising so far, but we will see how it goes on, the real show starts next week.

Before I jump into this, I must know one thing... Will this be similar to the 1970s movie "Earthquake" in regards to plot and what's going on just in a different setting and animated?

I only ask this because that's the vibe I'm getting.

I haven't seen Earthquake, but I can give you a quick idea of what happened so far, and what plot the anime is likely to follow.

Ep 1
The (as far as we can tell) main character is a little girl, who basically complains the entire first episode about not being treated as an adult, and is angry with her parents. At the end of the episode, the giant earthquake kicks in and she realizes her little brother is probably still in the collapsing building behind her
The show will probably show the aftermath of the earthquake, following the girl around with all the drama involved. Thats pretty much all I can guess so far.

I haven't seen Earthquake, but I can give you a quick idea of what happened so far, and what plot the anime is likely to follow.

Ep 1
The (as far as we can tell) main character is a little girl, who basically complains the entire first episode about not being treated as an adult, and is angry with her parents. At the end of the episode, the giant earthquake kicks in and she realizes her little brother is probably still in the collapsing building behind her
The show will probably show the aftermath of the earthquake, following the girl around with all the drama involved. Thats pretty much all I can guess so far.

Yea... that's pretty much what Earthquake was all about. What was going on during and after the earthquake. Bored me to death but when there's nothing else to watch and it's on AMC or something like that, they show it all the time, especially in the summer months. At least when I had a TV.. years ago.

A kind of dull and rather depressing first episode, but it looks like it'll pick up in the next one.

Yea, I've decided to cover it in my blog. If you check it out I've got some good links for information on the series.

The main character of the first episode is the main character in all of them, according to the press release. It will follow the during and after of the earthquake. It did not say whether her brother actually dies or not, but it doesn't look promising

Just finished watching episode one:

At first I was really critical – the animation style looked far more simple and childish than I expected, particularly the character designs, and I still do wish that was different, but by the end of the episode I was warming to it, but I still doubt that with the style and tone that’s been established the show will really be done with the gravity and seriousness that this kind of plot really deserves. One thing I was really curious about is whether they’d address the issue of foreigners (you’ll remember the massacres of Koreans after 1923, and just recently I think it was Ishihara that said in the event of a disaster that foreigners would be the cause of looting and violence), it would have been nice to have the director come out against that kind of position – but it just doesn’t look like that kind of a story. I’d also like to see if they make allusions to the debacle after the Kobe quake, which the government handled incompetently (I’ve even read the suggestion that it was in the grassroots aid organizations that emerged in response to that was really the birth of civil society in Japan) Characters are ok, though so far we only really have two. Looks like we’re going to be visiting a lot of destroyed landmarks – it was nice to see them though just sort of in the background like the Fuji TV building.

So yeah, disappointing in some ways, but I liked how the quake started. Even if it’s not going the be the kind of story I wanted, it could still be really interesting, and I’m looking forward to the next episode.

The entire episode I was waiting for the earthquake to hit. I knew it could happen at anytime :p I really enjoyed the first episode, looks like it's going to be good.

OMG it is a classic disaster flick!!!!!
it has some of the trappings. The initial get to know some of the characters intro (well maybe just the sister and brother, mother and father and the woman who gives back the flower pin) and then the massive quake. I imagine it will have the aftermath and survival storyline from here.
I only wonder if this will be able to sustain a series 10 episodes long.

Just finished watching episode one:

At first I was really critical – the animation style looked far more simple and childish than I expected, particularly the character designs, and I still do wish that was different, but by the end of the episode I was warming to it, but I still doubt that with the style and tone that’s been established the show will really be done with the gravity and seriousness that this kind of plot really deserves.
So yeah, disappointing in some ways, but I liked how the quake started. Even if it’s not going the be the kind of story I wanted, it could still be really interesting, and I’m looking forward to the next episode.
I originally thought the same, I was disillusioned to the simplistic designs of the characters. I originally thought, "Jez could the characters look more plain?" But as it progressed I found them to fit the situation.
I did not like the young girl initially . She is a +10 in the negativity factor. BUT in some ways it is refreshing to follow a protagonist with qualities that are sour . So by the end I could see her flaws being a positive in the story telling

Not bad. Hopefully it won't delve too deep into the soul searching (which could really mire things down with a lead that has so little to work with). Reminds me of Disaster Report or Raw Danger, both interesting despite absolutely no replay value. Hopefully the story won't go too far off like Raw Danger's did at the end.

Not bad. Hopefully it won't delve too deep into the soul searching (which could really mire things down with a lead that has so little to work with). Reminds me of Disaster Report or Raw Danger, both interesting despite absolutely no replay value. Hopefully the story won't go too far off like Raw Danger's did at the end.

Almost reminds me of
Towering Inferno, or Posiden Adventure.

LOL, I did not know there was a video game homage to disaster flicks.

Almost reminds me of
Towering Inferno, or Posiden Adventure.

LOL, I did not know there was a video game homage to disaster flicks.

Raw Danger was actually rather enjoyable, despite the reviews. It's different in that there is no fighting or killing. All you do is use five different people trying to survive and/or figure out what happened in a completely flooded city. Decisions with one will affect events in another (like losing a key bridge or police patrols or supplies or even interactions with the character you were before). It also has a rather simple McGyver system for supplies. Disaster Report wasn't quite as engaging but pretty similar (earthquakes don't lead to the dynamic environment like a flooded city in the middle of winter with a dam about to burst).

I just finished watching the first episode and I'm very excited about the second episode. The first episode was somewhat slow, but it did explain a lot and it wasn't too boring.

Back