Crest of the Stars

G

[sadht]Crest of the Stars[/sadht][sadhl=1147]crest-of-the-stars[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Last edited by a moderator:
Episode 1:

Oh noes! Humanity was conquered by blue space elves within the first five minutes of the episode. The humans' defenses did seem pathetically inadequate when compared to the Abh fleet but still it was kind of embarrassing to just fold like a house of cards like that. The Abh are a mysterious group that claim to be descended from humans. Their origin should be really interesting but for now they just seem like a bunch of arrogant foppish aristocrats. Oh and did anyone else notice that Teal's ears were kind of pointy? Not as much as the space elves but it was kind of odd looking.

People were pissed when the president surrendered and made a deal to be ruler of the galaxy but that's a pretty common tactic when an empire takes over a new land. The government knows the people the best so it's easier to leave that infrastructure in place rather than trying to implement a new system. Granted it does look like Rock sold them out but it was probably the best deal he could make. Also even though the Abh wanted control of the planet's defenses doesn't necessarily mean that the humans stood a chance in a fight, it's just another common tactic to not leave weapons in the hands of conquered people. Pissed off rebels with weapons may not be a threat but they can be a pain in the ass. All that being said we never saw the president so maybe he was just an asshole making a power grab.

Jinto is being educated by the Abh as he will be the ruler after his father, however it's interesting that he said he's never seen as Abh. I'm not sure what the significance of this is yet but I guess it could be a sign of how little humans mean to them. Jinto himself hasn't made much of an impression yet. So far he just seems like a typical teenage lead but his grown up version didn't get much screen time so I can't really say yet.

Also I found it interesting that the cars and machines all looked kind of retro despite the fact that humans are technologically advanced enough to have spread throughout the galaxy. I kind of liked the retro designs actually it was a good break from the pointy shiny futuristic designs normally seen in these kinds of shows.

Anyway I liked the first episode. It'll be interesting where the political side of it goes although I think things are going to be more focused on Jinto and his journey.

Oh, this is conveinent. I just finally started this space opera on Friday, and am currently trawling through the second series.

It's not bad.

I was pretty befuddled by Jinto in the first episode, though. As I think I said in the 'what have you started' thread, I don't usually expect the sons of quislings to be our heroes. His father sells out his people to the Abh Empire, and now we're to watch him blithely integrate to the Abh ascendancy? The initial framing of that really rubbed me the wrong way. As such, Teal was definitely a scene stealer in the first episode. He's mad as hell and a little sarcastic, it works well.

Wasn't wild about this episode really, but the series picked up.

Like the music, particularly the various re-orchestrations of the title theme that are used throughout.

Episode 2:

I don't think it's all that odd to have the son of a traitor as the protagonist. It's not all that uncommon to have main characters trying to overcome a dark family history. It's not like Jinto was complicit in his father's betrayal.

Kind of a slow episode setting up Jinto's journey. As to be expected nobles are regarded with fear and suspicion by people. Jinto has hidden his identity from his friends and classmates because he didn't wanted to be treated differently. He also doesn't have any idea how an Ahb nobleman is supposed to act anyway. He seems like a normal teenager in most ways, he's just been thrown into a strange situation.

The Ahb have genetically modified themselves to make it easier to live in space. I guess once they started the modifications they said fuck it and made themselves beautiful blue elves as well. Lafiel doesn't seem as arrogant or officious as the Ahb in the first episode but it could be she is just the exception to the rule. She could have been much more rude about the fact that Jinto doesn't even have an Ahb child's knowledge about space travel or that she seems to be physically superior to him. Actually she was pretty patient with all of his questions, not what I was expecting from the things we've seen about the Ahb before.

Anyway onto officer training.

Episode 3:

I like how the show is taking it's time setting up the characters before actually getting into the plot. It's easier to get into a story if I know and care about the characters first. Jinto and Lafiel's conversations are also helping to paint a picture of the universe as well. I now know a lot more about the Ahb and how they are different from humans as well as the similarities they share.

I'm now interested to see more of the Ahb. I doubt they most of them will be as open or accepting with Jinto as she is. She and Jinto actually have a lot in common being separated from others due to their station in life. It's worse for her because she can't hide her identity the way Jinto did from his classmates. I thought story about Lafiel's mother being a cat and her reaction were really cute and it makes me want to see more of her father. All of this helps to humanize the Ahb and make them seem less alien despite all of their differences.

Oh and the explanation for fast space travel reminded me a little of fold space travel from Dune. However that made me think they were underselling the danger of only being able to estimate their location, that's actually kind of scary sounding and they seem pretty caviler about it. In Dune it would be insane to attempt fold space travel without a navigator with precognitive abilities.

Episode 4:

After the relaxed pacing of the first three episodes this one was pretty tense. I was a little surprised they got to the war so quickly but they did a good job of outlining the political situation in this episode so it didn't feel too sudden or anything. I think the Abh empire is going to be in trouble because this attack was well thought out and well coordinated. It took years of planning to find this one opportunity and now the alliance is making their move. Can't wait to see more.

Oh yeah and I'm really liking the soundtrack so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be watching the episodes mid-day which is right about now so expect me to post around now every day XD

Episode 1

It was pretty confusing for me, although it seems like they were just setting up the plot. I definitely did think Teal's ears were pointy, so at first I thought he might be some weird elf hybrid thing but I guess not.

The music matched up well, I think.

I don't think there's much to say. It actually reminds me of an anime version of Star Trek vaguely.
Which means I might be able to get my family in on watching this since they loove Star Trek and most of them like (certain) anime.

Jinto intrigued me, that's for sure. I'm not quite sure, I just feel like I'll end up liking him.

All in all I liked it, even considering it's a genre I don't typically watch/like.

Episode 2:

I don't think it's all that odd to have the son of a traitor as the protagonist. It's not all that uncommon to have main characters trying to overcome a dark family history. It's not like Jinto was complicit in his father's betrayal.

Yes, but he - and the series - seemed to be treating it almost indifferently. His father betrays his people, he's sent off to Abh school, and now off you go to join the nobility of the race who conquered your people. That Jinto doesn't really seem nonplussed by any of that (and that the series itself didn't seem bothered, tonally) rubbed me the wrong way a bit at that stage of the show.
Oh and the explanation for fast space travel reminded me a little of fold space travel from Dune.

I didn't make that connection, but now that you mention it... yeah.

I guess it's just I've heard so many explanations and non-explanations for faster than light travel they merge in my head. I decided to mentally file sords under 'sort of like wormholes', but Dune's also good if not bettter.

Oh yeah and I'm really liking the soundtrack so far.

So did I. The opening theme is nice and bombastic, anyway, with the majesty and mystery of space and all that. The ending theme is alright but sort of forgettable.

Which means I might be able to get my family in on watching this since they loove Star Trek and most of them like (certain) anime.
As a ridiculously big fan of Star Trek, Crest of the Stars definitely has crossover appeal.

The Character designs are strangely melted. It looks as if half their face has been hit with a flame. I do feel they will grow on me, like characters from Touch. I do enjoy the fresh look, that is more unique. I am sure the Ahn are supposed to be gorgeous, but to me the look like a half baked Deelit from Lodos War.

The ship designs are sleek, yet realistic. I agree with you Marius, I enjoyed the retro cars/outfits. I think it looks like fashion trends that repeat themselves. Also, much like the Romans, once you are conquered, you can now enjoy the education, and travel, that is set up by the Ahn. Like you said, I would not hold the Prez responsible, for anything other than keeping everyone from annihilation.

valondar, as much as I do enjoy the orchestral track music, the theme must be rather weak. I do not find myself pealing out any in particular set of notes that are. to put it oddly, "hum-worthy"
I do think it is marvelous to hear it however, and the ode to Galactica/Trek/Space1999 galaxy shots for the intro gets me in the mood.

FelineLion Teal's ears are not just pointy, they are Dangerous =D

The Character designs are strangely melted. It looks as if half their face has been hit with a flame.

Definitely something that put me off this show for a long time. It's like the lower half of their faces is an appendage for their eyes.

valondar, as much as I do enjoy the orchestral track music, the theme must be rather weak. I do not find myself pealing out any in particular set of notes that are. to put it oddly, "hum-worthy"

Well I can think of a dozen better themes - yes, the themes for the first two Star Treks, the theme for the original Battlestar Galactica, and Space:1999 are all far more memorable - but I guess I liked how quasi-James Horner the Crest of the Stars music is, although that analogy may only make sense in my head. And those little trills at the end of it are a nice touch.

Last edited:
Well I can think of a dozen better themes - yes, the themes for the first two Star Treks, the theme for the original Battlestar Galactica, and Space:1999 are all far more memorable - but I guess I liked how quasi-James Horner the Crest of the Stars music is. And those little trills at the end of it are a nice touch.
True, and I still have yet to see, but 2 episodes, I have a feeling I will be enjoying it more as it goes.

Anytime you have the quality that seems to be in a title such as this (nice frame rate, detail) then I normally enjoy the tracks more as they go.

Episode 5:

I think this episode highlighted most of the problems Valondar pointed out in his closing thoughts on the series. The only characters that we really know anything about are Jinto and Lafiel so when they are removed from the center of the action we are left watching a bunch of characters we have little reason to care about fight a battle. It's not really even watching a battle though it's more like watching half a battle, we only ever see things from the Abh's perspective and only get their interpretation of events. The alliance remains silent and unseen through out the battle. Instead we mostly just watch a bunch of blips moving around on various screens while various tactical orders are given. Sure there are little moments between the crew members but they are a bunch of mostly nameless space elves and these moments kind of fall flat.

Overall I'm still enjoying the show but it's not quite what I expected when I started it. I thought there would be more focus on the war and have a suitably epic story. However it's more like Spice and Wolf in space which is okay I do like the interactions between Jinto and Lafiel. However I don't think these two are quite interesting enough to carry an entire series the way Lawrence and Horo do. Jinto and Lafiel just don't have the same charisma and their dialogue isn't at the same level as Spice and Wolf. Well I'm still enjoying CotS but I am starting to see some definite flaws.

Episode 6:

I thought this was a great episode. The dinner scene was calm and yet tense at the same time. The Baron is quite the snake hiding in an elegant disguise. Basically he's kidnapping Lafiel to ensure the safety of his little domain. His racism against the terrans isn't really unexpected and although he acts like he respects the women he does treat them more like trained pets. Although the matching maid outfits are a bit of a give away of how he really feels.

It's interesting watching the workings of an empire. I mean nominally everything is under the control of the Emperor but essentially it's more like a federation of small kingdoms. Each lord is the big fish of his own little pond and is free to do whatever he wants in his own domain as long as he pays his tribute to the Emperor. During a time of war each lord has to do his best to protect his own domain while at least making it look like he is doing his part to protect the empire. The Baron here seems pretty despicable for his attitude toward Terrans but I can't really blame him for wanting to keep them there. His is a small unimportant little fief and it's not like the empire is really going to do much to defend it so it's up to him make sure he remains unnoticed until the trouble has passed. I'd like to know more about the Abh empire in general, Funk has compared it to Rome but I wonder if it's not run more like the Holy Roman Empire instead. I'd have to see more to know.

As for the all the Stars Trek talk I've never been a big fan. I'm more of a fantasy fan and I was a history major so when I'm watching something like this I usually think in terms of historical empires. It can interesting to see how the political systems are usually pulled right out of historical scenarios. I guess when you get right down to it there actually aren't that many differences between ruling a multiplanet empire and a more traditional historical empire. The main difference lies in scale however faster than light space travel makes that less of a problem. I don't know maybe I'll get more into this after I've seem more. I'll just add that when it comes to science fiction Dune is King... or God Emperor for me. ;)

I'd like to know more about the Abh empire in general, Funk has compared it to Rome but I wonder if it's not run more like the Holy Roman Empire instead. I'd have to see more to know.
I got the impression during the Baron Febdash arc that the Abh had very much a feudal society. I'd agree with the Holy Roman Empire if we're talking about the medieval period, I was more thinking 10th century France simply because I studied that more.

As for the all the Stars Trek talk I've never been a big fan. I'm more of a fantasy fan and I was a history major so when I'm watching something like this I usually think in terms of historical empires. It can interesting to see how the political systems are usually pulled right out of historical scenarios.

I'm in the rather weird position of being a sci-fi geek with only a dim knowledge of actual science (and as an undergrad also a history major). As such I do love space opera with a strong political/historical component, and speaking of:

I don't know maybe I'll get more into this after I've seem more. I'll just add that when it comes to science fiction Dune is King... or God Emperor for me. ;)

God Emperor is my favourite Dune novel by far.

Just a warning Marius, I am only watching 2 a day and I started Monday. lol, So I am currently on 3 and 4. So I will have to get back on you with observations with episode 5 and 6.
But on the Roman Empire, I am reminded of any time the Romans moved into an area and took it over, you could theoretically become a Roman. It was actually quite open to different races being able to don the citizenship. (well as long as you were not sold into slavery, or became part of the army.
Seems there was a time when Germanic outnumbered actual true blood Romans in the army, in the City of Rome. "Barbarians at the Gate"

But this is seemingly ending up more like Byzantine era Romans. (Constantinople) Fair trade, and control of shipping lanes... kinda of like the Sain Sarn, whatever that shipping lane is in Crest.

Anyhooo.
Episode 3 and 4
I am quite enjoying the odd pairing of Laifel and Junto and the war that is about to ensue.
I find it funny that they have a name for those individuals that actually came about from love making. =)

Once again I am loving the ship designs, and cel drawn ship movements.
I am also seeing Valondar's note on a James Horner approach... but more like his old Battle Beyond the Star/ Wrath of khan days and not the later Titanic/Avatar years.

Comparing Crest of the Stars with Spice and Wolf is a very fitting match. Instead of economy you learn politics and how a space war unfolds.

I have to say, this three seasoned + ova ending series is my number one tied with spice and wolf with it's two seasons. I never saw a connection of why till now.

Episode 6:

I thought this was a great episode. The dinner scene was calm and yet tense at the same time. The Baron is quite the snake hiding in an elegant disguise. Basically he's kidnapping Lafiel to ensure the safety of his little domain. His racism against the terrans isn't really unexpected and although he acts like he respects the women he does treat them more like trained pets. Although the matching maid outfits are a bit of a give away of how he really feels.
Cut that tension in the room, with a knife.
Knew we were going to have problems when we saw the evil eye from that maid with the bad hair.
... but nothing is as dreadful as Lafiel's look at the end of the episode. Deadly =O

I also thought episode 5, was one heck of an awesome ship combat fight.
Very detailed, 3 dimensional YET, they still had the problems faced when you are perpendicular to your opponent. That turn to get the second to last ship felt like an eternity.

Brilliant episodes.
I agree with SoTaPop or you Marius when there is a correlation to Spice and Wolf.
I can think this would make a marvelous suggestion, in the suggestion section of Anime Planet.

Lafiel could be right up there with some of the best for witty remarks, and cut-to-the-chase conversation. It is like Cliff's Notes on how to spot a ruse.

Episode 7:

Hmm so the Baron is half Terran well that explains his attitude I guess. He hates his Terran half so much it makes him hate Terrans in general. I find it interesting that the Abh would mix their genes with normal humans. They have modified their genes so they can live in space more easily so I would think breeding with normal humans would kind of defeat the purpose. Maybe it was a love match between the father and mother. I liked his father he seemed a little senile or maybe he's just accepted his situation and decided to keep a Dude like calm. On the other hand Jinto is a little too dependent on Lafiel he was looking for a way out but he would have been screwed if she hadn't figured something out.

The Baron might be pretty despicable in a lot of ways but he is just trying to protect his little fief. He's kind of delusional about turning it into an important little kingdom no matter whose side he's on. Anyway yeah the Abh Empire is total modeled on a medieval feudal society, Holy Roman Empire or 10th century France comparisons would both work here.

I definitely think the show works best when it keeps the focus on these smaller situations and keeps the two leads in the spotlight.

Episode 8:

Jinto was a bit annoying this episode. I get that he doesn't understand the way the Abh think but he should know that it was a kill or be killed battle so his reaction to the Baron's death was irritating. The older baron obviously has taught himself to think and reason like an Abh so he acts almost like an interpreter between Jinto and Lafiel this episode. The Abh are logical thinkers that don't waste time worrying about things they can't control. It's admirable even if it makes them seem inhuman sometimes. I laughed when Jinto imagined the princess embracing him and then it showed her real reaction. I guess he got his hopes up there for a few minutes after talking with the old man.

I don't know much about space travel but I would think that being exposed to the vacuum of space like that would have been more harmful than that to jinto. I know that there was some atmosphere coming from the station but I don't think that would be enough to protect him from serious injury.

They maids turned out to be a real catty bunch and even facing death they were more interesting in arguing with each other and affirming their position be it with the baron or Lafiel. Well retainer are dependent on whichever lord they serve. Their entire livelihood is determined by their master so I guess their concerns do make some sense. If they had been abandoned by Lafiel they would have been in trouble since it's not like they could just leave the Baron and find employment elsewhere.

I really liked this arc as a whole. There were a lot of interesting things that could be inferred about the Abh as a people as well as the empire as a whole. It was also pretty tense and Lafiel had some really great scenes.

Episode 8:

Jinto was a bit annoying this episode. I get that he doesn't understand the way the Abh think but he should know that it was a kill or be killed battle so his reaction to the Baron's death was irritating.

That's a fair point, but honestly?

People reacting negatively to someone killing in self-defense is such an anime cliche I've kind of zoned out of it by this point, so Jinto's reaction didn't even vaguely phase me.

In fact, I like this reaction when done well. It can illustrate how even necessary evils can be ugly and unpleasant, and that people may react pretty emotionally to them. When done poorly it can just seem sanctimonious and whiny, though (oh hello Canaan, I didn't see you come in). Jinto's reaction is somewhere in the middle.

I laughed when Jinto imagined the princess embracing him and then it showed her real reaction.

That was a nice touch.

Episode 7:
I liked his father he seemed a little senile or maybe he's just accepted his situation and decided to keep a Dude like calm.
Oh man, that is what I thought.
I half expected him to offer Jinto A White Russian, and show him his area rug, that ties the room together.
My wife said the same thing about the fact he is an interpreter for Jinto and lafiel
and yes,
Jinto needs to be more than just a delivery item. I would have enjoyed it more, had he found the hatch, or something.
Speaking of jinto...
That's a fair point, but honestly?

People reacting negatively to someone killing in self-defense is such an anime cliche I've kind of zoned out of it by this point, so Jinto's reaction didn't even vaguely phase me.

In fact, I like this reaction when done well. It can illustrate how even necessary evils can be ugly and unpleasant, and that people may react pretty emotionally to them. When done poorly it can just seem sanctimonious and whiny, though (oh hello Canaan, I didn't see you come in). Jinto's reaction is somewhere in the middle.

yeah, after this episode I went in search of the voice actor, to see if it was Shinji from NGE(it wasn't) cause Jinto went to the school of unreal thinking.

I guess he
wants to think of her as innocent. I will give him the fact he did not dwell on it, and finally did thank her and sort of drop the subject.
Some of the lines of dialog in the show are quite well written. His line about getting angrier later was funny, however.
On the whole logical abh, I am sure it has been said they are like Vulcans.
one last note...
The maids drove me nuts.
I would have been half humored if the entire base and crinkled in on them like a beer can.

Back