Some tag ideas - please let me know what you think!

Which of these tags should we add? Please respond in thread w/the terms you like best

• 'Gar' tag

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • 'Moe' tag

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • 'Oversized breasts' (or some variation) tag

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • 'Mastermind' (or something similar) tag

Votes: 26 74.3%

• Total voters

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
I've already opened up discussions about a few of these, and need to finalize. These would be for CHARACTER tags, not anime/manga tags.

First off, debating a 'gar' tag, but we need to be very clear with the definition of what it means. Please read this discussion about the GAR tag if you haven't yet, and let me know here how you'd define Gar and people you'd mark as gar.

Second, if we have a gar tag, we probably need a moe tag - how would this be defined, who would be marked as it?

Third, I think we need some kind of 'oversized breasts' tag. Because let's face it, a lot of anime characters have insane boobs that are way too big for the person's body (extreme case: eiken, almost as extreme case: queens blade, seikon no qwaser, divergence eve, etc). most people i've talked to so far agree that some sort of character tag like this is needed, but it's hard to nail down what the term should be, and what it should be defined as.

For example, 'big boobs' is casual (maybe too casual/low brow) but isn't necessarily the definition i had in mind - I meant more like 'way too big for the body', which is closer to something like 'oversized breasts' or 'excessive breasts'. The question becomes, how big is big enough to warrant this tag?

Fourth, some kind of 'mastermind' tag for characters who scheme and plot, not necessarily in a bad way. L, Light and Lelouch are good examples, as are people like the guy in Spiral, a lot of detectives, etc - people who think ahead. Mastermind seems the best so far but to me it also implies being the puppetmaster on a grand scale or something, so I'm not sure. 'Devious', 'scheming' seem too negative, 'calculating' maybe but it's not a super friendly word most people would think of, etc. Also, what about characters like Friend in 20th Century Boys?

feedback appreciated - please vote in the poll but also chime in with why, as that'll help me make a decision) and know how to tag/define). You can select multiple options in the poll vote.

its about time that a moe tag may get added.

let me know how you personally would define moe, and the characters you'd tag as moe (this way if enough people agree on both, itll go up ^_^)

I think Oversized breasts and mastermind would be good.

I'm a little hesitant about Moe and Gar. I'll be honest, I didn't know what Gar was, but having looked into it I get the feeling that both Gar and Moe could be WAY too subjective. Flicking through that thread there are some characters that people have suggested that would no way make it onto a list of so damn manly that it makes you want to weep. I don't honestly see how sogeking from one piece is gar. I just think that what one person would class as moe/gar another three or four would disagree.

They could be useful tags to have, but I can't help but feel that they could be a little problematic.

I'm in favor of all 4, but the "mastermind" one is probably the least clear. I think "calculating" also gives a bad guy vibe. But maybe something like "calculating mind" is friendly enough?

I'd personally say Moe can be defined as conforming to the japanese idea of cuteness without overt sexualization.

I think Zakiel got Gar correct here: https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/...-characters-please-contribute.html#post581067

Edit: My face has been removed from facepalm, Thank you Omurqi for correcting my most dire mistake.

In the case of character tags, I would have to agree with the trend and say that Gar and Moe tags are unnecessary. While useful, the character debates that Drahk mentions below would make it impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all for Overzised Breasts, Mastermind and GAR, as they're all reasonably easily defined.
GAR being the most difficult, but still very doable, manly, muscular men basically.
Oversized Breasts should only be used on, as you said, basically inhuman proportions, or we should be getting tags for all regular sizes ^_^

As I got it, moe characters are basically characters with "cute turnons", something that differs too much from person to person to easily define. Also, wouldn't it overlap very often with tags like Shy (not exclusively, but still, it looks to me like this is often the case).

I'm all for Overzised Breasts, Mastermind and GAR, as they're all reasonably easily defined (GAR being the most difficult, but still very doable, manly, muscular men basically).

As I got it, moe characters are basically characters with "cute turnons", something that differs too much from person to person to easily define. Also, wouldn't it overlap very often with tags like Shy (not exclusively, but still, it looks to me like this is often the case).

I think she means the Tag would apply to Moe shows, not every show with any Moe in it. Specific shows essentially exist for the sole reason of "Moeness", and so labeling them might be useful. that I should read more carefully in the future. >_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never in my life even heard the term "gar", and that other thread doesn't give a definition either. I gather from the discussion that gar means something along the lines of ultra-manly. It's hard to say that something is worthy of being a tag though when it isn't in common enough use for me to have even heard of it. (...and I'm not exactly new to anime/manga. I know a number of terms & have at least heard of countless others, but not gar.)

moe: I imagine there may be a fair number of people who would want to find moe, but I think it's a very... focuse group.. kind of thing. Those who are into moe tend to be -really- into it, and those who aren't -really- into it tend not to care one way or another. Also, moe is a term that isn't defined very well. That, combined with the intensity of moe fans, will no doubt lead to a lot of intense debates about how this or that character must be/not be included.
(...of course, if you include a moe tag, you'll need to include a larry tag & a curly tag too. :p )

re big boobage: I think it would work best to include a word like massive or colossal, "colossal cleavage" perhaps.
As far as defining what would be too large, I would base it on the size of her head. If each breast is about the size of her head or larger, then it's definitely in the "majorly top-heavy" arena.

re mastermind: Shrewd may be the best choice. Some other good options include; wily, canny, cunning, crafty, adroit, astute.

I think she means the Tag would apply to Moe shows, not every show with any Moe in it. Specific shows essentially exist for the sole reason of "Moeness", and so labeling them might be useful.
That's the thing, it's about character tags. Shows like Lucky Star and K-On! can be generalized as moe, but single characters are (as I understood it) more of a personal preference if it comes to what is moe and what isn't.

That's the thing, it's about character tags. Shows like Lucky Star and K-On! can be generalized as moe, but single characters are (as I understood it) more of a personal preference if it comes to what is moe and what isn't.

*Rereads post*
*Misses it completely again, begins to post confused post in reply*
*Rereads one last time before posting*
*corrects his post*

Wow. I screwed up. Anyway, yeah, Gar and Moe tags would be hell for character mods, and on top of that hard to define for a single person.

Oversized Breasts is Ok, I don't like mastermind that much, but I'm all up for tags! There's never too much :)

Instead of "Mastermind" you could use "Strategist"/"Strategic" or "Tactician"/"Tactical".

Last edited:
Nix on the GAR (we already have hot-blooded, and those usually overlap, anyway). Moe kinda-sorta makes sense, but it would need a definition, and I'm not touching that.

Originated in 4chan's /a/ board. A poster was describing his feelings towards the Fate/Stay Night character Archer, and mistyped "gay" as "gar".

This explains much. It explains why it's such a non-japanese and non-english word, it also explains why it isn't nearly as common as any other anime related term.
This also begs the question: Are we also going to start supporting other 4chan invented terms, like animu & narutard? Are we going to add a "TWINKEE HOUSE!!!" tag?
Also, according to several other sites, the terms moe & gar are not inherantly gender-specific. IOW, you can have moe male characters & gar female characters.

I firmly believe in moe, but don't even agree with all of saimoe. I bought moekan when it came out, but it lists pretty much every girl. There is no way to make this useful as a character tag.

I like 'strategic' as I saw FuzionZero mention for Mastermind. As for the giant breast tag, I'd say 'Overactive Mammary Gland'... But seriously, something like 'Overly' or 'Extremely' along with 'Busty' doesn't seem too crude, but still you get the point, and it can serve as a warning for people who aren't looking for that kind of thing. I like the tag as I'm not particularly interested in animes like that, so it would steer me away from that.

I agree that there should be some sort of "Oversized Boobs" tag. Thinking about it I would consider breasts to be "oversized" if the width of the breasts becomes larger than the width of the torso. Because in real life, if you think about it, when have you looked at a woman directly from back, and seen her breasts?

I've seen women in real life with huge breast, it actually does happen (but perhaps not as big as their Japanese counterparts). =P

Skinny white chicks won't have that sort of meat usually, at least from my experience (of course now this is referencing RL).

I think Oversized Breast or Draggin' Baggage would work just fine, although I fancy my term more. xD

I think Gar is alright, I guess Gar = big balls or something of that nature, but it doesn't directly indicate hot headed as someone else mentioned. Perhaps "Reckless" could be worked in there some how if it is similar to this Gar definition.

Won't speak for the other two.

For example, Toriko would be beaming with GAR by my definition, or am I completely missing the point (in other words, does muscular + MANLY MAN not define GAR)?

I'm still pro-GAR, because I think we can set a solid definition for it for the taggers, but if it turns out to be too much of a problem I wouldn't mind seeing it dropped. It's not an overly-well known term after all.

Back