Lucky Star

T

TezzaLarks

Lucky Star

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Yo everyone
I downloaded all of Lucky Star yesterday I think, but i seem to remember my friend saying something about it takes the mick out of a lot of other animes.
I haven't seen too many animes myself.
So i was just wondering which are the main ones it uses so that i can watch them to understand the jokes.
Thanks
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Lucky Star?

Let's see... well, it's primarily Haruhi and Full Metal Panic, but also a little Kanon. I also recall a Code Geass joke. There are probably more, but I either didn't catch them or don't remember. Haruhi and Full Metal Panic are the big ones though.

(also moving the thread to Gen. Anime for now)

In general, you just need to know otaku culture. For instance, if you don't know about idols, doujing, ero games, figures and such most of the joke will be lost on you.

ah hmmn.. well i just tend to watch the anime not getting into otaku-ness i guess
ill give it a shot either way
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum as well
Thanks

As well as the other series mentioned, it makes a fairly large reference to Maria-sama ga Miteru.

Just think of it as Azumanga Daioh with otaku references all over the place and more prevalence of characters outside of the school. And Haruhi references also because of the voice actors/studio.

Just think of it as Azumanga Daioh with otaku references all over the place and more prevalence of characters outside of the school. And Haruhi references also because of the voice actors/studio.

Must everything be compared to Azumanga? There are a zillion school life anime out there, and LS doesn't even cover the same sorts of topics, aside from the average school life stuff.

Must everything be compared to Azumanga? There are a zillion school life anime out there, and LS doesn't even cover the same sorts of topics, aside from the average school life stuff.

Okay then. From now on I will use only obscure comparisons to things only a couple people know to facilitate communication.

Okay then. From now on I will use only obscure comparisons to things only a couple people know to facilitate communication.

Iy should'nt be getting compared to anything. I'm saying it's not like AzuDai, so don't use the comparison, not neccessarily saying to comptare it to other things either.

I didn't like the first episode, but I enjoyed the last episode while I was watching it with a group of friends.

Iy should'nt be getting compared to anything. I'm saying it's not like AzuDai, so don't use the comparison, not neccessarily saying to comptare it to other things either.

I think it is like Azumanga and Azumanga is something most fans can relate to, thus I used it.

I didn't like the first episode, but I enjoyed the last episode while I was watching it with a group of friends.

I had that problem too. It helped to have people around who knew about the stuff like Timotei (I only knew of the brand, not the commercial).

Yeah, LS is pretty hit-and-miss throughout. I liked certain eps a LOt, but then others were horrible - after ep 10 I had actually sort of dropped the show and later marathoned the whole thing after a few months. Overall I'd say it's a charming show and not bad, though not especially awesome. It would help a LOT to be Japanese,. because even the biggest American otaku won't relate to nearly as much as a Japanese one, which makes it funny that this show was popular enough to even get liscenced (epic fail IMO)

Being licensed or not has little to do with show quality... a lot of quality series took a long time to get licensed or haven't licensed at all.

That aside, I think I remember that after ep4 or so they replaced the director; you can even notice a change from sporadic 20-second clips to a somewhat comprehendable timeline around that point.

Although I'm sure I didn't catch all the references, I thought LS was pretty good. It goes into slice-of-life mode on occasion, so that will bother some people. However, I thought one of the really nice things about it was that despite the characters being stereotypes, (like they are in most any school comedy) they didn't follow those types all the way. For instance, the airhead Tsukasa does occasionally make an astute observation, the rabid otaku Konata does partake in some normal activities, etc.

Ha, Yeah, Konata does partake in some normal activities....though not to often. Though good series overall.

Though I enjoyed when they did the opening dance towards the end of the anime. I thought it was a nice touch. ^_^

I found i couldn't even finish watching the first episode, it just bored me almost to sleep. does it get any better?

oh, i freaking love it when they used Haruhi stuff in Luck Star. i freaking laughed!
Both really good and deserved an audience. (and when they did the Fesival****te hee **** and fortune tellings ****snicker**** and the ice cream **** HA HA HA HA!) good freaking anime!

Back