QOTD- What is a food that you wish you didn't have to try but did?

heyalotp71

AOTD- For me it was when me and my boyfriend went shopping just to buy stuff that looked nasty.... the worst of it all was at tie between canned sardines and Tofu, what is something that made you cringe or thought was disgusting?

Think this is more suited for the "General" discussion than anime discussion...

Anyhow, it would be fried catfish. Stuff is nasty. Along with really fatty and undercooked steak.

not sure what those acronyms are or what they mean?? QOTD or AOTD but yogurt is gross...and any fat gags me...

Can't think of anything in particular. I'm not too picky. I don't much like liver, or fish that has gone stinky, but how could I know that without having tried them?

not sure what those acronyms are or what they mean?? QOTD or AOTD
I just ignored them, but now that you mention it, I would guess that they are "question of the day" and "answer of the day".

Last edited:
A food that I wish I hadn't tried? I can't say there's a specific food that comes to mind. I'm not usually a very picky eater and I'll try almost everything if I have a friend that'll try it with me.

I can't stand tomatoes, though. The taste is fine, but the texture makes me want to gag.

I cant think of any. That I have had to try? why would I have to try something? Phrasing seems to be off

I enjoy eating and try most things, The only thing im not fond of are mushrooms but that's likely more a mental thing then anything else. The idea of eating a mushroom really bothers me for some reason, not so much the actual food. I have been getting over that the past 4 years, Before I would just refuse to eat things with mushrooms, now I just passively avoid it rather then actively, if it has mushrooms oh well, if there is a version that doesn't have it, I will go for that instead, like with pasta. Would rather have the garlic basil anyways. I never regretted trying it though.

Pickled Okra was an odd thing, but I thought it was pretty good. Its hard to describe that texture.

Tofu is far to broad a thing to say you didnt like it, just way way way to broad. Soy and Corn are at the base of everything processed pretty much. Canned sardines are fine, might be a bit salty. Toss some over here, ill give whatever brand you got a try.

Along with really fatty and undercooked steak.

Did you actually mean grisly? Cause I cant comprehend someone disliking a well marbled medium rare prime rib.

I did have a steak blue before, I asked for medium rare... That was pretty bad, Ill take rare but Jesus Christ, I should have asked for them to put it back the grill.

Nattō A.K.A. fermented beans, good lord, the extremely strong taste/slimy texture of that was enough to almost make me gag 3 times over and I can usually tolerate pretty much anything.

Did you actually mean grisly? Cause I cant comprehend someone disliking a well marbled medium rare prime rib.

I did have a steak blue before, I asked for medium rare... That was pretty bad, Ill take rare but Jesus Christ, I should have asked for them to put it back the grill.
For the most part, yeh. Grisly anything is not for me in the least, and the same goes for anything more or less laced (as in full of) with fat.

Yeh...blue steak is something else. Part of the reason I only order medium at most places - most of the time they either over or undercook it.

Ohmy.

I think you might be confusing gristle and fat is what I was trying to point out (I sure did growing up), thats just me making an assumption though. Nutella is pretty much just sugar beat into fat.

Eh if they undercook it, you can put it back on the heat, if the overcook it you just wasted 12 oz of perfectly good meat into the curse of mediocrity.

Nah - I'm not confusing them; I know one is cartilage and doesn't usually melt while cooking, and the other is...well...fat which does usually melt. All I know is with either of them I'll gag if there's too much of either - from fatty roast beef to a steak.
Though I do love Nutella and milk chocolate.

I've had so much overcooked fish and meat it's not funny. :laugh:

A long ass time ago I posted about something I called "the blender incident." The story does apply to this thread so I guess I'll re-post it.

Years ago, me and a few friends were at Kenneth's house just hanging around. We wandered into the kitchen in search of edible things when we came across the biggest fuckin' blender any of us had ever seen. It was so big it was like it was made for liquefying small cows. And of course almost immediately, I came up with a brilliant idea.

"Oh shit, what if we took one of everything from the kitchen and put it in this big fuckin' blender?"
"There is absolutely no way this can go wrong." My friends helpfully chimed in.

It went as wrong as it possibly could.

We placed literally one of every item from that pantry in the blender (a corn flake, a slice of bread, a spoonful of peanut butter, an Oreo, a teaspoon of vinegar, a dash of mustard, a dollop of mayo, a strip of raw bacon, an egg, a bit of baking chocolate ect.) and blended it until it was a smoothie-like substance that looked as if someone just took the blender and dunked it in a septic tank. We each poured ourselves a cup, toasted, and took a swallow. If you took a shit directly into a cup and then filled the rest of it with sewage water, you would still have a better tasting treat than what was in that blender of terrors.

My friend Sean was the first to vomit. The force was so hard it apparently knocked him back onto his ass. I've never seen someone falling backwards while throwing up like that before. It was like a fountain of barf. It is a sight I would be perfectly fine with not seeing again. We all looked at each other for a second and without saying a word we sprinted to the various bathrooms around the house while Sean was making a mess on the kitchen floor. There were three bathrooms. There was four people running to them.

About ten minutes later, the parents of the household walked in. The garage connected directly to the kitchen, so their first sight upon entering was Sean covered in his own vomit, leaning over a garbage can that was ready to overflow. Strategically stepping around the puddles of sick splattered around the room, they entered the living room, the central point of the house. From that spot they saw two things.

1. The sight of me sitting in the hallway with a bucket, scream-vomiting into it from the burning sensation going through my entire digestive system.
2. The horrid sounds echoing from the bathrooms around the house, all coming together in that central point to create a melody of pain and sickness. It's what I imagine hell sounds like.

This went on for about twenty more minutes, and thankfully ended just before someone called for an ambulance. Suffice it to say we weren't allowed to hang out at that house after that. And from that point on, it was forever referred to in hushed tones as only "The Blender Incident."

The only way steak can be undercooked is if it's still raw on the outside.
Anything done more than medium rare is a waste of meat; one'd be better off eating roast instead.

Back