Jigoku Shoujo

Re: Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)

It seemed to me a bit like a ripoff on the popular Sky High manga/tv drama series/movie plot, which is described here (ignore the first paragraph). Instead of wayward souls, we have living human beings under various forms of duress; instead of the gate, you have a web portal :p. So far, only possibility 3 has been covered (this is not a spoiler) - I hope they allow for other possibilities too, since the show would get boring very quickly otherwise, imo. Series is currently episodic in nature and features pretty cliched plots/ideas from the kaidan (ghost story) genre when Jigoku Shoujo goes about her business, but I like the music (the OP song rocks in particular) and the art. :)

I'd have to agree with RUnpi a bit there. I can't see what makes some people think this show is better than Shana. >.> Like RUnpi said, the show goes by episode, and there is no actual plot as it is. There's a story, but it's a type I've seen before (can't remember where I've seen it before though), but it just doesn't have the potential plot of that I see in Shana. Jigoku SHoujo is good, but not that good. ^^b

This show seems quite good. Dark, paced, gruelling, filled with the slow but devouring angst that fills the heart of man. It seems very inspired by, but less gruesome and more psychological, than Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari (100 stories / Requiem from the Darkness), and placed in "the real world" rather than in historic fiction.

This show freaked me out... how I love shows that freak me out ^_^
The first ep had me thinking Lain... but yeah 100 stories seems to be better comparison given certain aspects.

I'm gonna hold off on whether this is good or bad for a bit. There's enough going on that it has my attention, and certainly won't tank this show based off of one episode.

There are other shows more worthy of that distinction.

Im with aidan on this one. The hell girl is creepy as hell ( get it get it ). Also, this show is pretty good as far as connecting with the characters goes, since they arent uber.

Mikademus said:
This show seems quite good. Dark, paced, gruelling, filled with the slow but devouring angst that fills the heart of man. It seems very inspired by, but less gruesome and more psychological, than Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari (100 stories / Requiem from the Darkness), and placed in "the real world" rather than in historic fiction.

Eeh, how is it more psychological than Hundred Stories? :!!: So far, they don't cover -why- the 'bad guys' turned out the way they did in any episode, whereas in Hundred Stories, they delve into the villains' psychosis a lot more, imo. Of course, Hundred Stories is more about "abnormal psychology" compared to the relatively mundane/petty evils we see in Jigoku Shoujo. At this rate, the somewhat cookie-cutter forays into "the dark side of human nature lite" are going to get old fast - I hope they start introducing some character development for Enma Ai soon.

runpsicat said:
Eeh, how is it more psychological than Hundred Stories? So far, they don't cover -why- the 'bad guys' turned out the way they did in any episode, whereas in Hundred Stories, they delve into the villains' psychosis a lot more, imo. Of course, Hundred Stories is more about "abnormal psychology" compared to the relatively mundane/petty evils we see in Jigoku Shoujo.

Yes! It is just the pettiness and "normality" of the situation I responded to. 100 stories was so extreme and surreal (which I loved, made me think of the AniDB genre "violent retribution of accidental infriction" :p).

Ending:
While in Hell Girl the situation that drove the protagonist to the brink of suicide and to forthcoming damnation is so much more "real" and plausible.

That is what I meant with more psychological; agreed, a poor choice of word, but in 100 Stories, as I saw it, the dark psychology of the offenders is projected through a more intensly surreal setting, while in Hell Girl the despair and futility is relayed through a more real one. As you say, the villains of 100 Stories were utter monsters ("abnormal") and reaped the Retribution of Nemesiz for it, but in Hell Girl the *offenders* are more "normal", thus making the psychology, suffering, sadism, anguish and whathaveyou as disturbing -to me- but in a different way.

I am NOT saying that I think Hell Girl will be a better anime than 100 Stories, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree that it is very similar to Sky High. Still, I liked the art and music. I probably won't follow it faithfully, but it will be in my queue. Hopefully, it will develop some more, rather than being episodic. Even the Sky High manga ditched that in favor of some longer stories.

The end sequence with Aya was pretty sweet though. Very nicely done.

I can't say I like the series from only watching ep1. But it has more potential for me than before I watched it (ie just from reading descriptions and such). It seems a bit episodic, since the story for ep1 seems to end in ep1. I do like the fact that there are more characters than just the girl, so maybe they'll develop something interesting there.

Interestingly, I just read on Moon Phase that ep 6 won't be broadcasted on a certain TV station "because of content" (this was an opinion) .... I really want to see this now.

according to the official site, a special program ran in place of ep 6, and the next time it Jigoku Shoujo airs (a week later), ep 7 will air.

i only watched ep 1, so i couldnt really tell, but if I judged it from that ep, I'd put it just a bit lower than paranoia agent.

It seems good, especially with the concept of hell and paying back your wish for revenge with the same exact price...Sounds almost like a moral message is being passed. Definitely a different horror anime (as it claims) from all those same old blood and gore horror. It plays on the mind...

The first episode seems promising, but I sure hope it won't be too routine in many ways...

I watched ep1 and it just didn't catched me, i dont know exactly why, the animation its ok, i think im giving it one more chance but...

Well ep2 the story started and concluded within the ep as well, so I'm really hoping it's not like that for the whole thing. The other characters were a little more involved this time, so I hope we find out more about all of them.

I did watch ep 2 getting the same impression, i think its enough of this show for me.

I have to say that it was rather disappointing that they repeated the same sequences of events and scenarios over and over again. the antagonized sends request, gets doll, hesitates on pulling string and finally does so after cracking under intense pressure. It's getting quite recycled here...But I guess three episodes cannot really decide how well the anime might turn out, so I'm going to continue watching for a while more.

Agreed, just finished ep3 and this time we see less of the characters than ep2 or so it seemed.

Back