"The Manga was way better than the Anime!" Tell Me Where This Statement is True!

SaintJay

I couldn't think of a better forum to ask this on so, which Anime's and Manga's have you seen from the same series and, when all was said and done, you enjoyed the manga more than the anime?

I could grade this myself, but watching the anime and reading the manga for the same series is pretty redundant unless you're really interested in the series.

I understand with some series', the video games may be the best, or the light novels. For this one time, just forget about those, for me.

I would also prefer if you gave answers where there is an obvious superiority to the manga over the anime, instead of a series where it is very close between the two.

Have fun with your discussion

:balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon:

Rosario+Vampire, both seasons of the manga are far superior to the abomination that I am forced to call anime.

There were some slight character personality tweaks and the story itself was gutted and replaced with panty shots. So many pantsu.... hell the anime couldn't even keep up with its own plot half the time.

And they completely emasculated the lead and any character development he was supposed to get, they axed that with extreme prejudice.

Elfen Lied and Video Girl Ai, if only because the anime ended long before the manga and left many things unfinished. Both anime end at like...volume 3 of 10 of the manga, and end up making up a different ending from the real one.

Buddha, the manga was sublime and the movie couldn't cover all of it's majesty.
Monster, except the manga is on par with the anime for how in-sync they are and both being masterpieces of their respective medias.

Sankarea. If you read the manga before you watched the anime, you'd understand how they butchered it. If not, you probably enjoyed the anime.

100% Ichigo

One of the best Manga Ive read and one of the worst anime I've watched.

The main reason would be that the anime didn't go on to tell the whole story but also, for anime of that year the animation quality wasn't up to par. Some drawings were nice, since they replicate the works of my favorite mangaka but thats just on still images of the character models.

Definitely worth the read.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni!!

The Manga is amazing! Each arc is more intriguing than the last. The art is amazing, and each arc is drawn by different artists! I love that I can get so creeped out from reading a Manga. ^_^

The Anime on the other hand is bad! The character designs were so basic and stiff. A lot of scenes are drug-out, leading you to think something is going to happen, and then do nothing but disappoint. And the creepiness factor I so loved from the Manga is all but non-existent in the Anime. And don't get me started on that English dub! Woof! -__-' Tis a real shame, it could have been so much better... :pokerface:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni!!

Completely disagree. I think the suspense/horror, the contrasting scenes, and atmosphere were all way better handled in the anime. Higurashi is one series I think anime is superior to the manga.

But +1 for Rosario+Vampire and Sankarea.

I'll also add Dragon Ball Z (too much filler in the anime), Claymore (anime ended WAY before the manga got intense), Hellsing (NOT Ultimate), and Death Note (all the logic was better suited to manga format IMO).

Generally all of them.

Specifics:
-Wandering Son
-Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
-Loveless
-Suki-tte Ii na yo.
-Kuragehime

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (Haganai)
The manga is an adaptation of the novels, as is the anime, so they are pretty much competing. And the manga is way, way better. The art style flexible, funny and gorgeous when it needs to be, and the manga has several endearing scenes that the anime does not have, as well as an overall better execution of the scenes they do share.
So yeah. The manga is easily the better version.

Ichiban ushiro no daimaou. Anime wasnt that bad, but it cut some awesome moments, and manga did the stuff better anyway. I was really disappointed watching that.

Soul Eater

The anime adaption was actually pretty great until the last episode... Though it still wasn't as disappointing as the anime ending for Claymore... Which wasn't even an ending.

Ichiban ushiro no daimaou. Anime wasnt that bad, but it cut some awesome moments, and manga did the stuff better anyway. I was really disappointed watching that.

If I had to name one thing I absolutely loved about the manga, it would be the art style change, serious faces MC sometimes did in a moment where he knew he was fucked or was a "Oh crap" moment. Those faces, every time. And definitely agree on the anime leaving some of the good stuff out. Even if it had Peterhausen who was so righteously badass, that tournament preceding the beach arc was gold.

Elfen Lied (altough a little messy at the end)
Berserk (continues where the anime stops)
Sankarea (goes horror halway)
Deadman Wonderland (continues where the anime stopped)

I see no one has mentioned Fruits Basket. I like to treat the Anime as a separate story featuring the characters, well the last few episodes at least. They left out the huge plot twist with Akito!! Gah!!:frustrat: And the ending is so abrupt, they leave out a bunch of characters and don't give any definitive answers in the end.

Ouran High School Host Club
I've never finished the Anime, so I'm not sure how it ends. But from what I have seen the Manga is far superior.

I would concur with OHSHC, the manga just gets more room to develop the characters and the story. And frankly that last
scene with the horse n' carriage chase
was ridiculous.

My nomination would be Nana. Like a lot of examples here, mainly because the manga continues on from the anime... Though even then we still don't have an ending...

Back