Sasameki Koto

Lenaxia

Sasameki Koto
Alt title: Whispered Words

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Taken from Chartfag:
The story revolves around Sumika, a popular high school honors student with a secret she dares not reveal to anyone - that she is in love with her classmate Ushio. Sumika hears that Ushio is like her, "a girl who likes girls," but Sumika'sfeeling have yet to be reciprocated.

Groups Subbing:
Chihiro Fansubs - ep 2
AnimeMp4 & HorribleSubs - ep 2
Akibiyori - ep 1
PalSub - ep 1
QUALITY - ep 2 (no ep1)

----------------------------------------

Well, it's another yuri fest. Aoi Hana and all those other yuri animes from the summer.... It's pretty cut and dried in terms of the plot and there aren't really any real surprises.

I was rather glad that it wasn't an emo crying fest though. Being a yuri anime it is obviously centered around its drama, but compared to the other similar animes that have aired recently, this one is tame in terms of emo-ness. Thank god.

I got a stronger sense of Slice-of-life from this anime, and empathizing with the characters was actually pretty easy. The characters and the situation are more believable compared to the rest of the fare out there (Aoi Hana anyone?)

<3 Hiyori though, her reactions are just hilarious, they did a good job with her as he comic relief: unobtrusive but brings out the personalities of the main characters.

The music really stands out above the rest in this anime, within the first couple of minutes it did a really good job of setting the mood. It really reminds me of Ghibli style music, pretty much all slow piano/string instrumental.

As much as I've been annoyed with the ditsy girl/yuri girl trend recently (see Kiddy Girl-and) I will definitely be following this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sasameki Koto is way, way off of the beaten path for me. It is something that, in the past, I could never imagine myself watching. Recently, though, I've been keeping a more open mind, so I gave it a shot.

I've watched the first two episodes thus far. The only strong complaint I have is that the style is very bland, and nothing at all thus far has struck me as original (in terms of design). The story is interesting to me, however. Homosexuality isn't a topic I've seen covered in a realistic manner in anime, and thus far, it seems to be very realistic and handled in an interesting way. However, as with most anime romances, I'm sure (though I hope not) it will evolve into a "I'll absolutely die unless I have this person!" situation, which is both ridiculous and played out at the same time. I know high schoolers tend to take any situation at its most extreme, but realistic romance is so rarely portrayed that I am pleasantly surprised with the way the show is panning out thus far.

I really tend to not mind style and animation as long as it is bearable, but that aspect of the show is a real turn off.

Huh... no wonder it seemed kinda long between Sasameki episodes, they weren't being posted to bakaupdates (and I'm too lazy to check TT). Will update with ep2 when I get home tonight.

RandomCL, most of these types of anime are pretty "bland" when it comes to animation, design and just "wow factor". This style serves the purpose of emphasizing that the fact that the anime is a story about people being... well people, it's more or less slice of life. Nothing more, nothing less. It's what makes these kinds of stories all that much more difficult because they have nothing to carry them, except their everyday story.

This genre (in a slightly broader sense) is pretty much my mainstay of anime. No less than half of my 4.5 to 5 starred anime are Slice of Life animes. Coming from this history, I actually found the animation in Sasameki to be very fitting for the story.

Myself, and I know a few other people have high hopes for this anime as we were burned pretty badly last season with Aoi Hana. I urge you to try to stick with it while you can, but if it's too much, the yuri slice of life genre might not be the right fit for you. I would suggest you give a normal slice of life a shot, similar animation styles in that they're simple, but they don't have any of that drama or emo-fest.

Going through your list of watched, Hyakko is probably the best pure Slice of Life I can suggest to you. It reminds me a bit of Welcome to NHK and Yakitate!! Japan.

For a little stronger sci-fi/fantasy Slice of Lifes, I think you would really enjoy the two movies, The Place Promised In Our Early Days and 5 Centimeters per Second. With the former being slightly better. They're created by the same writer and studio and have some of the most amazing animation I've seen in a long time. With detailed and spectacular panoramic landscapes, few other anime I've seen have immersed me into the story as much as these two movies have.

If you want a Slice of Life that isn't quite Slice of Life, I would really suggest Infinite Ryvius. It matches extremely well with Planetes. The story could've been written better and it's a little hard to follow, but at the end when things come together and make sense you'll look back at some parts and say "wow".

Jumping straight into yuri slice of life might be a bit of like jumping from a hot tub into a cold pool, the suggestions above are a bit more mild and should be gentler in easing you into the genre.

Okay, so starting ep 2 now.

Ahh.... I have mixed feelings about this episode... no... thats wrong, this episode was outright bad. It was like some horrible joke. I have never seen a plot twist like this and never want to again.

Maybe it's because I still have a bad taste left in my mouth, but the first half of the episode reminded me so much like Aoi Hana I almost didn't finish it. The entire feeling of treating Sumi and Kazama's relationship in a realistic manner completely went out the window this episode. Suddenly both of them have become incredibly thick headed and oblivious.

The second half, you really have to see to understand it. I can't even describe itin words. It's worth watching just to see this amazing plot twist.

I will continue to follow and comment this but it will be low priority.

Well, am watching episode 3 right now...

Hmm... well, its not nearly as bad as the 2nd episode, the cross dressing boy is gone, well not completely but enough, and the story line is a bit more coherent.

The problem with this anime as far as I've seen till now is that it's having trouble deciding what it wants to be. It goes from mellow slice of life style to sudden Azumanga Daiho style outbursts at the drop of a dime. It reallys throws things a bit off.

They've done a good job of controlling the drama levels so far. It's about as realistic as it can be for the given situation. Sumika is unrealistically indecisive but isn't emo enough to make it unbearable.

It's watchable but once it chooses a direction to go and sticks with it, it'll be decent.

Okay that has got to be the WEIRDEST kiss scene I have ever seen... I dont know what to say, speechless...

I quite like Yuri, so this series is quite good for me. I also like the comedy. I think I'm on like episode 7 or something like that and it's quite good so far, but I don't really see Murasame and Kazama getting any closer as Kazama is still completely oblivious to Murasame's feelings. But it looks like the other 2 les girls are trying to help Murasame, but atm it still looks hopeless.
I hope at the end they will get together :love:

ChibiElo

I'm adoring this show more then I thought I would! The combination of lightheartedness, cuteness, comedy and anxiety actually works for me here. Anyway, on to episode 9 to see how it'll develop further! (although the ultimate outcome is probably going to be a very predictable one, which isn't entirely bad in this :P)

Bah, 13 episodes and it doesn't end? I'm at a loss for words because I want more.... everything is left open ended for another season :...:

Would of loved this if it had an ending... shi~ I still loved it...

What a shame they didn't continue or finish this :(

They need to hurry up and give me my second season! I cant start reading the anime now after going that far into it, even if they are very similar! If I knew it wasn't finished I wouldn't have started but I just got so excited about romance I guess I just forgot...

Sasameki Koto is a pretty boring shoujo-ai to begin with, but Kazama is enough of a bad character for it to plunge for sure into mediocrity. Too bad, because Sumika is fun and cute. Also, the fact this is written by a guy is obvious to the point of cringe in this case. Not that guys shouldn't write whatever genre they want, but the show is infested with so many annoying tropes from a myriad of generic school life shows that it gets really tiresome.

Oh well. Five eps to go, then I can erase it from my HD and get that coveted free space. And yeah, the only reason I'm watching this now is because I downloaded it ages ago and deleting it without watching it feels bad somehow.

Sadly, the anime tried to adapt the series manga EXACTLY, then didn't get a second season to carry on. You pretty much just have to go read the manga for a 'ending'....

Yah, It would of been cherry on top for a pleasant yuri anime in the GL section. Another season would be nice.

Back