Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

Garyuu

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Alt title: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Long title. I think I will watch the first episode tomorrow. I kind decided right now to try it. I'm kind of breaking my promise I made to only watch just a couple of shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai

Do it do it do it!
This one's really good too- it's gonna give Hana-saku Iroha competition for best slice-of-life/drama.

I'm kind of breaking my promise I made to only watch just a couple of shows.
Same! But this season has a lot to offer it appears.

I just read the synopsis for this one, it sounds right up my street. Gonna have to check out first ep later on today.

I liked it.

Nothing more to say really.

it's
A strange anime which doesn't have a plot that many other anime's have. The first episode introduces the main characters and gives the plot a general direction. The anime seems to be somewhat dark.

Last edited:

I always have high hopes for noitaminA shows, and this first ep hits the mark for me as well. As mentioned above, there are a lot of good shows this season thus far.

Admittedly, initially Menma grated on my nerves ><, but I totally misread the first few minutes of the show.

The premise behind this is really interesting and has the potential to pull some heartstrings, providing character growth is paced well and believably. The first ep did a good job of that for me, I found myself drawn to Jintan's plight, so here's hoping subsequent episodes will do the same.

I like that it
seems the changes in character's personalities since Menma's death will be explored. It also appears that Menma is literally the 'trauma' of Jintan. He was outgoing and the leader when they were kids and now he's closed himself off from the world. It'd certainly be nice if these changes were explored together with changes that may now occur due to Jintan conjuring Menma, presumably for him to reconcile his past and maybe reconcile with his friends.

As a first episode, this was the best of the season I've seen so far. Hope this remains as consistently good. I agree the premise is very interesting, this has massive potential to be a touching character-driven drama.

It's sitting at rank #8 on the site after just the first ep lol

Agreed definitely lots of potential for the character relationships.

After watching C, I can't quite separate it's 1st episode and AnoHana's 1st episode, both are currently the best season openers so far for me.

It seems like all the decent shows this season want to come out on Fridays. -__-

This was quite excellent and different, and different is something I always enjoy. So far this, Hana-Saku Iroha, C:, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, Steins, Tiger and Bunny, and Azazel have all peaked my interest in addition to Kami Nomi 2. Plus Blue Exorcist and Deadman haven't even aired yet. This is turning into a busy season.

ep 1 - im going to write about this one like i'm live blogging it so you get my thoughts as it goes. this one definitely will be one my wife will watch from start to finish, and i admit it looks good... we'll see where it goes...

5 minutes in: opening theme - well while the op is playing i just have to say, that annoying girl has to be a ghost or some sort of figment of his imagination, given how his father doesn't seem to notice her. if that's true, then his... growth... was a bit of a strange type of mental masturbation. considering the opening animation, she seems to be ghostly in it... so i'm running with the theory that she's dead. That said... looks good thus far other then the annoying moeblob ghost.

10 minutes in - wow... this kid is taking his psychosis in stride a lot better then he has a right to... some sort of hikikomori i guess

12 minutes in - well here goes the emo bellybutton gazing.

end - so... she's a ghost not psychosis... interestingly weird i guess. better then most of the stuff up this season thus far. so i'll go with it and see how it turns out.

~sidenote: this has a real serious Cross Game feel, only without the baseball, and HSotD animation style, only without the fan service. definitely one of the standouts for the season thus far (after one ep at least)

I only watched this because of Haruka Tomatsu being a lead, she sings the ED and this being part of the noitamina block.
Wow. This was the best first episode of this season. It had excellent animation and the characters seem pretty realistic so far. I found it pretty depressing which was something I didn't expect judging from the promo art and previews. I don't know if this is good or bad, but watching this reminds me of Toradora and HSotD (they share the same character designer). If AnoHana continues like this, it's a definite contender for best of the year

I only watched this because of Haruka Tomatsu being a lead, she sings the ED and this being part of the noitamina block.
Wow. This was the best first episode of this season. It had excellent animation and the characters seem pretty realistic so far. I found it pretty depressing which was something I didn't expect judging from the promo art and previews. I don't know if this is good or bad, but watching this reminds me of Toradora and HSotD (they share the same character designer). If AnoHana continues like this, it's a definite contender for best of the year

Heh it's going to have to step it up to beat Madoka as best in the year.

ep 1. i liked it but im not sure about it. It just has a strange feel to me, which might change as i watch it more. But the story itself is interesting.

ep 1 - im going to write about this one like i'm live blogging it so you get my thoughts as it goes. this one definitely will be one my wife will watch from start to finish, and i admit it looks good... we'll see where it goes...

5 minutes in: opening theme - well while the op is playing i just have to say, that annoying girl has to be a ghost or some sort of figment of his imagination, given how his father doesn't seem to notice her. if that's true, then his... growth... was a bit of a strange type of mental masturbation. considering the opening animation, she seems to be ghostly in it... so i'm running with the theory that she's dead. That said... looks good thus far other then the annoying moeblob ghost.

10 minutes in - wow... this kid is taking his psychosis in stride a lot better then he has a right to... some sort of hikikomori i guess

12 minutes in - well here goes the emo bellybutton gazing.

end - so... she's a ghost not psychosis... interestingly weird i guess. better then most of the stuff up this season thus far. so i'll go with it and see how it turns out.

~sidenote: this has a real serious Cross Game feel, only without the baseball, and HSotD animation style, only without the fan service. definitely one of the standouts for the season thus far (after one ep at least)

Yeah I got the Cross Game feel too.But still I guess it's interesting.

I can see this easily becoming one of my favorites of the season if this keeps up. Episode 1 was really good.

I had a feeling something was up as soon as Anaru came and went, but actually hearing that Mema had died still hit pretty hard for me. I'm too much of an emotion person, but that may actually be a good thing since I have a thing for series that can emotionally impact me. This one hasn't seriously done it yet, but it's still only the first episode. I expect it will sooner or later if the rest of the series has the same kind of tone.

I wonder how Mema died? I guess we'll find out later on.

I didn't notice the resemblance to HOTD's animation, but now that I think about it, they do look similar.

Samekh said:
I don't know if this is good or bad, but watching this reminds me of Toradora and HSotD (they share the same character designer).

That definitely makes since now.

I do not know if I will like this or not. I will continue to watch it, but if nothing happens that interests me. I think I might have to drop this, but I really hope that doesn't happen.
I laughed at the beginning when the random guy is like "Your tits have gotten bigger" or whatever it was. :laugh: When the dad did not notice the girl "I was like what the hell!? Is this guy an idiot" and when Jintan fainted or whatever I was like oh this is hopefully going to be pretty funny, but once Jintan and Menma go outside it got all sad and stayed all sad till the end of the episode. That really did ruin my mood. I hope it is not all sad like in the next episodes, but that said I can't wait to see what happens in the next episode. At the end of the show there was a commercial for Gillette Fusion Pro Glide razor and was like what the fuck was the uploader smoking, but I do have to admit that it was pretty funny.

kind of had a mix between Yosuga no Sora, Myself; Yourself, Kanon and a touch of Welcome to the NHK.

gonna be a good solid drama. season's looking good.

but i hope ghost girl doesn't revert back to the diabetic coma inducing cuteness from those first ten minutes of her... i was ready to drop it if that came up. i didn't need another dose of "Nessa loves love!"

but i hope ghost girl doesn't revert back to the diabetic coma inducing cuteness from those first ten minutes of her... i was ready to drop it if that came up. i didn't need another dose of "Nessa loves love!"

+1

seriously... that moeblob was just nessa redux... it was hard to watch.

Back