Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works TV

I feel like I should be more interested in this one, but all I can muster is lukewarm curiosity. I guess I'd be more interested if they doing a route that hadn't been animated yet.

What I am trying to say is I have more interested in that Girlfriend anime at the moment.

Watching Unlimited Bladeworks Again feels underwhelming even if it's done better than it was before... eh...

I thought we went over this, you gotta watch the DEEN version! In all seriousness I tricked Damias into watching it, but all the basic points you'll need to understand should be in this remake. I guess I can live with one less victim :crying:

Although you will miss out on the anime that made the most annoying male lead of the century so damn.... bad.

It may be better to watch Zero first, as it is a prequel. UBW will make more sense that way.

What? You tricked me? Never had I felt so betrayed. :crying:

Though, I agree you should watch F/Z first. Where's the harm in watching this series 1-2 weeks late? And you won't be disappointed in doing so. =P

Yeah, go with Zero first because F/SN spoils the ending of F/Z (at least DEEN's version did it)

Ontopic: I hope this adaptation isn't as rushed as Deen's movie was

The Deen UBW movie wasn't bad - still this will certainly be better. There is absolutely no reason anyone should doubt this won't be spectacular - I think at this point we can hold ufotable to those standards. No need to be pessimistic.

Most people say Heaven's Feel is the best route, and I suppose it is - but this one's my favorite because I guess I'm gay for archer.

The Deen UBW movie wasn't bad - still this will certainly be better. There is absolutely no reason anyone should doubt this won't be spectacular - I think at this point we can hold ufotable to those standards. No need to be pessimistic.

It's not really that I feel pessimistic about it. I'm sure that it will be one of the better shows of the season, but I still feel a lack of excitement about it. It could be because I've already seen Deen's mostly adequate for this though.

Even if I was being sarcastic before with the Girlfriend comment there are several shows I just feel more interested right now.

F/Z is spectacular, Brad. You should totally watch it before this airs, as Zero is the prequel and you'll get the whole story animated in ufotable goodness. :megusta:

And yeah, the DEEN thing is totally skippable. Maybe watch it at a later point if you are feeling particularly masochistic - other than that it's pointless!

Can't hurt to watch Zero if you have time before this airs, but it won't hurt to watching experience to wait until after you've watched Bladeworks. There's nothing essential in Zero that you need to know for this, basically all the backstory will be there in a smaller form and then if you want it more detailed (and you do) then you can watch Zero later.

I feel like I should be more interested in this one, but all I can muster is lukewarm curiosity. I guess I'd be more interested if they doing a route that hadn't been animated yet.
that would only be heaven's feel, which I'm pretty sure is not safe for tv. ubw was a fair choice in the circumstances (though I'd have preferred having an adaptation of stay night that isn't terrible)

those anime generally
a. are from the 80s;
b. came out in OVA format and didn't have to deal with ratings/censoring,; or
c. had more black screens than coloured ones.

The "worst" I've seen in anime as far as explicit content goes is likely Shigurui, but I guess Madhouse aired that at a very late timeslot, plus there weren't as many restrictions as there are now. And looking back it wasn't incredibly extreme anyway.

I don't know Heaven's Feel, but unless the touchy parts are pretty much central to the plot they could easily work around it. I learned that in the Zero novels Caster

makes instruments out of still living children's organs, or something along those lines. In the anime the kids just get killed more normally. Yay!

I didn't watch the DEEN version of this, so I'm looking forward to this run. Zero was excellent, and I never played through this route in the VN, so I'm hoping it will still have some surprises. I'm also looking forward to seeing a version of this with the explicit content cut out, as it just felt out of place in the VN (at least in the Fate route).

Yeah I don't know how they'll play that off - either avoid it altogether or go all in.

The PS2/anime/movie version did the g-rated mana transfer thing - but came across as really lame. The actual sex scenes are really awkward and out of place like you mention.

Episode 0:

Well, I don't think anyone will be surprised to know the first episode is pretty darn great. It is a double sized episode like the first episode Fate Zero, but I would say overall this is a better first episode than Fate Zero. I am a fan of Urobutcher, but he does love to info dump early on and it is easy to feel lost. The first episode of Zero is basically just exposition dumping the set up and a little bit of character set up. I think this episode introduces in the world of Fate in a much smoother way. We get to spend time with Rin and Archer and actually get to know them rather than jumping around and just introducing the whole cast all at once. There is time for that later. This episode also takes its time to introduce various concepts. There's enough info that Fate virgins can still follow what is going on and start to get the basic gist of things. I think it's the better approach to make me start caring about Rin now and worry about completely explaining the story later.

The episode does have a bit of an iffy start. Its just Rin going around and meeting people and something feels off about it to me. Some of the framing reminded me of shots you'd see in a VN and it was probably trying to copy that style. It's not a bad beginning but it really did feel like it was just running down a list of characters you'll see more of. The good thing is these conversation do start to give us a clear picture of Rin both from her interactions and what the other characters say about her. Along the way they do hide Shiro face for some dumb reason, but that's pretty whatever.

The episode gets much better once Rin summons Archer. Their dialogue is just fantastic and there's great interplay between the characters. I also like the way that Rin gains Archers respect by showing her resolve and using a command seal. It's something she might regret later but for now it does a good job of showing her determination and explaining the concept of command seals. I like that command seals seem to have even more importance here because they can be used to surpass the normal limits of what a servant is capable of.

Archer is of course pretty damn cool even playing off Rin's disappointment that she didn't pull the Saber class. There were a lot of shit things about Stay/Night, but Archer was always cool and he's the perfect rouge-ish smartass here but he's also got a sense of honor and respect. When he sees how strong Rin is he is impressed, even if her use of the seal was impetuous and poorly worded it still earns her his loyalty. These early interactions let us get to know both characters and start to care about their relationship with each other. It's also just plain funny she uses him to clean the house.

Of course the summoning wasn't perfect as Rin still lacks experience so Archer doesn't have his memories and doesn't know who he is. This is obvious set up for him to regain those memories over the course of the series. It's obvious it's going to be an important piece of information as a servants identity is tied directly into their power.

The other thing we get from all of this is just how dangerous the Grail War is Rin gets told that she can go and hide somewhere both by Archer and the man on the phone. This is a war that is played for keeps as we see how far mages will go to protect the secrets of the Grail war when Lancer is ordered to kill Shiro. Unfortunately Rin is able to heal him. This scene once again tries to hide Shiro's identity a little stupidly that red hair is a dead give away.

Once we get the introductions out of the way it's time for some action! And goddamn was it sweet. The fight between Lancer and Archer was but a taste of the battles to come. My favorite bit of the battle was how honest Archer is, he fully admits he was about to die when Lancer was going to use his Noble Phantasm. Of course this is just a warm up and the fight is interrupted. The animation here is smooth and crisp, and you can feel the power of the blows. Archer is a bit weird in that he uses swords, but it will all be explained later. We also get some hints at Lancer's true identity but I think they don't say it outright because it was already explained in Fate Zero, so people that haven't seen that won't really get who he is from the hints given unless they are familiar with Irish folklore for some reason.

We also learn here that Servants are powered by human energy so it's best to feed the servant with human lives. Both Rin and Archer are disgusted by the idea but some less than noble master is fine with the idea. Again it was a neat way to slip in some explanation that didn't feel forced. The conversation they have about it feels quite natural as they try to strategize how to handle the situation.

Then we wrap up with them going to save Shiro once again only to find out someone has summoned Saber, the most powerful of the servants. It's a good note to leave on I think and the summoner will be revealed next episode. Although it should be obvious to even the people not familiar to the franchise.

All in all a great way to start the series I am quite pleased with how this is going so far.

The "worst" I've seen in anime as far as explicit content goes is likely Shigurui, but I guess Madhouse aired that at a very late timeslot, plus there weren't as many restrictions as there are now. And looking back it wasn't incredibly extreme anyway.

I don't know Heaven's Feel, but unless the touchy parts are pretty much central to the plot they could easily work around it. I learned that in the Zero novels Caster

makes instruments out of still living children's organs, or something along those lines. In the anime the kids just get killed more normally. Yay!

Nah, Heaven's Feel's "touchy" parts are pretty central to the whole arc.

But, im going to find me the episode and kick back

Back