Mobile Suit Gundam AGE

Garyuu

[sadht]Mobile Suit Gundam AGE[/sadht][sadhl=4193]mobile-suit-gundam-age[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

I haven't watched the first episode yet, but if I were to trust the rating system it doesn't look good (2/5 stars). Good thing I don't trust other people's ratings after one episode.

Thoughts from episode one.

These UE had better not be evil faceless aliens. I expect more from Gundam antagonists.

It would be nice if they came up with a reason why giant humanoid robots are worth using. UC and CE based Gundam series had reasonable explanations, and I appreciate stuff like that.

Why the hell is Flit even bothering to argue with this teacher? He's a nobody. His opinion will have no effect on the colony's defenses, so why does Flit care what he thinks?
Got to love how when Flit commandeered the Gundam and the commander asked him what the hell he was doing, Flit said, "This is what I want to do." and the commander basically said, "Well, alright then." This is a seriously laid back army they have there.

Also have got to love how Flit demanded to go face the enemy in the machine he built, and once he's face to face with them, he goes, "Uh oh. Is this thing armed?" *facepalm*

So the UE lost one soldier and immediately retreated? What a bunch of pussies.

Looks like they plan to blow up the colony in the next episode. Good, I've come to think of it as a Gundam tradition, like christening a ship by breaking a bottle across the bow.
Short version: seems like they're half-assing this one.

This is like... the kiddie version of Gundam... I can't image this going anywhere serious after the pilot, but I'm sure some 6-10 year olds would find this enjoyable. Ah well, and you can usually count on Gundam on being decent anime, at the very least. Just not this time?

Given that business at the end of the episode about the audience earning experience points, I would say you're right about the kiddie thing.

I guess all the real talent is working on Unicorn.

Episode 2:

Begin operation "Fish in a Barrel"

The beam will penetrate better because it spins? I don't think that's how it works.

So, you think Yurin just happens to be a psychic/newtype that Flit randomly stumbled on? Me neither. I wonder if she's an UE, maybe even the one from the first suit Flit beat.

Going back to the AGE system: you have a mini-weapons factory that can create a counter to enemy tech in about thirty seconds. Why the hell didn't you use this hours ago and give those DOTS rifles to every mobile suit so they aren't worthless?

Last edited:
Episode 2:
The beam will penetrate better because it spins? I don't think that's how it works.

Well, we are talking about a show were beams can be seen even though they have no surface to reflect on. When u turn on a flashlight, u don't see the light reflecting on air particles, only on an object's surface.
Not to mention in this show (as many others) the beam doesn't move at light speed.
We just have to focus on the characters and the ending, trying to analyze a mecha show is just pointless.

The characters and the dragonoid alien mechs are reminding me of the Zoids anime. I'm getting into this much less serious Gundam series.

Episode 2:

I loled when Flit fell right into the enemy and was caught off guard, as well as the enemy. I bet the UE didn't see that coming. >D

I think that UE may be piloted or at least made by human. They destroyed its own kind to cover any clue they could left behind. So maybe it will end be gundam like a bit.

Episode 4 preview thoughts:
Looks like we're going to have a duel over who gets to pilot the Gundam, like they had in Gundam 0083.
And we did, sort of.
At first Woolf is basically Monsha without the drinking. Then he pulls Flit out of the line of fire when the UE mothership shows up, which only Woolf actually noticed.

It turns out being highly trained and experienced is pretty darn useful.

Another useful thing: being basically invisible. At first it wasn't clear weather the UE were catching the Feds with their pants down every time because the UE had stealth tech or because Gundam AGE radar tech just really sucks. Now we know it's the former.

We also now know that any Fed mobile suit can in fact use Gundam weapons like the DOTS Rifle, so they had better be cranking those things out behind the scenes and handing them out like candy.

In SEED and the original Gundam, our prodigy pilots were conflicted about having to go out and fight. Since Flit apparently doesn't give a crap, Emily will be doing it for him it seems.

After watching the battle footage, Grodek says to himself that he's figured out what the UE really are. We'll have to wait and see if he's in a sharing mood in the next episode.
Not a bad episode all in all.

Last edited:
Episode 5:
"So this is the Gundam huh?"
I would be very suspicious about why this kid knows it's name except Flit was probably bragging about it all the way there.
*Kid steals control module*
Okay, Flit probably didn't tell him about that.

Two Genoaces go out and there isn't an effective weapon between them. I know I keep harping on this but it is just dumb as hell.

Now we know there is a mysterious organization called EDEN, which seems to be lead by a refugee from Ronin Warriors. Going to guess that it's members are all Newtypes. Since small EDEN children seem to be able to kick the UE's ass at every encounter, it seems unlikely they are the same group.

And there was a Zaku in the episode six preview.

So episode 6 starts off with Flit nursing his bruised ego.
Then they expand slightly on Grodek's personal vendetta against the UE, which is the cliche but believable "the killed my wife and child" backstory.

Emily blows up at Flit for doing exactly what she's been expecting for at least two episodes.

Woolf gets permission to take his military issued mobile suit out to run personal errands (I've mentioned before that this military is very laid back). From the sound of it, he plans to have some major custom modification done to his mobile suit, which realistically speaking, the mechanics on the Diva would probably be incapable of repairing should the need arise.

Flit chases Emily into the colony and then... Zakus. I actually had forgotten about those. A mobile suit battle breaks out between someone and someone, the buildings get sealed off with defensive walls, and the pair of them end up taking refuge underground.

The underground city I can buy. But Fardain is supposed to simultaneously be an economically prosperous colony, and a war-torn battlefield? They've already established that this colony is Federation controlled: they're putting up with this bullshit? I know the commander is corrupt, but even he couldn't keep it quiet that there are daily mobile suit battles in the streets. Oh, wait, apparently this is common knowledge. What the hell?

Grodek is apparently buying four warships. Where the hell is he going to get the crews?

Okay, this guy lives in a shanty town, but he has his own mobile suit. I know they did something like this in 0083, but they did that in a way that made sense.

Then the testosterone poisoning kicks in and Iwark decides that two gangs of mobile suits destroying each other is unforgivable, so he'll try and destroy both of them by himself.

Then Vargas gets the Gundam there faster than a Jimmy John's delivery man.

The crew of the Diva really sucks. There is no other way to explain how: the most powerful weapon in the Federation left the ship and none of them noticed, and despite specific assurances that they were keeping their eyes open for the UE, they still show up in the colony unnoticed.

Oddly enough, the part of the episode that makes the most sense is the Zalam faction arresting Flit. The colony factions were fighting when an unidentified mobile suit attacks them. They shoot it down and a second unidentified mobile suit attacks them. Then a third unidentified mobile suit shows up and they run like frightened deer. They come back with reinforcements to find their city shot to shit. Yeah, I'd arrest him too. Now Flit letting himself get arrested is a different issue.

Most of problems were either explainable (labour MS wouldn't be dificult get), explained or at least lampshaded as misterious. If these explanation will be acceptable is different problem though.

But one thing you said is definitely unforgivable. How you dare accuse show from Gundam franchise about lack of discipline in army?! (irony mode)

Who know maybe it were destroyed in battles, he recovered it and repaired. Anakin Skywalker were also able make his race wehicle from scraps (or they just didn't thing enough about reason, exactly as you said).

I just realized that this show visually reminds me of Heroman (that's not a good thing). Turns out that both shows share the same art director.

Fifteen episodes in, this show is pretty dull.

Am I the only one on the forum that is still watching this? This new arc might be better. At least I don't have to look at Asemu's stupid hair.

Back