Wake Up, Girls!

biggthumpup.gif

Watched the movie and the first episode last night, and I have to say I'm rather enjoying this one.
I'll definitely be sticking to it this season.

^there's a movie?

The first episode failed to leave any impression on me at all.

All the girls being near identical in appearance made it even worse. One had pigtails... one had slightly lighter hair and most of them were around brown hair.... At least I know one is named hataru... I think...

Uh... This is like... Not bad and not good.

That's a pretty shitty spot for an idol group. Think I'm gonna pass on this one.

Episode 1
Well that's a bit weird that you have to watch the movie or else the first episode won't make sense..Luckily the movie is out.
Hmm..I'm not quite sure what my impression on this is.I'll keep watching but so far I feel not that much only that it's a pass time.The manager seems to be getting more screen time than I thought he will.I have a feeling that the man who appeared in the end of the episode will be kicked out.Overall,my impression of the show will probably change throughout the series but for now I'm so-so with this.

Ep. 02

hmm.gif

That... was amazingly uncomfortable.

While I like that this series isn't all rainbows and sunshine like so many other series that focuses on idols and delves into the less savory side of the entertainment industry of the lower tier idol acts, it really is uncomfortable watching it.

That being said, not sure yet how to feel about Tange coming back at the drop of a hat like that, though it was rather nice that she gave Sudo a right thrashing like that.

I'm not usually bothered by bad animation, but goddamn, the animation in episode 3 just took a huge dump. It was so painful to watch that I could barely enjoy the story.

I'm not usually bothered by bad animation, but goddamn, the animation in episode 3 just took a huge dump. It was so painful to watch that I could barely enjoy the story.

hmm.gif

Not quite sure what you mean.
The animation looked fine to me, though the faux camera sway did get a bit annoying during the "live" TV times.

Episode 1-5

Up till now it's mostly been fine. It's not ground breaking with it's realistic look on Japanese Idol existence. But it's not boring for the most part. The drama doesn't feel as forced as I would have expected from this. However the I-1 club + Mayu drama feels forced enough to be a bother. Nevertheless if the anime continues on this path I will find enough enjoyment to keep watching it.

Episode 6

As a new temporary manager approaches the group trouble stirs up. His push for greatness seem harsh and unfair, but I feel this is somewhat of a trickery. Though it's only a guess I believe what he is doing, while pushing their physical limitations is this.

I believe he is attacking the so called heart of the group. A girl who is hardworking but not very talented but serves as a emotional support pillar to the members of the group. The ultimate choice he is giving them is to become cold and heartless or to truly be a heartfelt group that inspires him.

Overall I found the episode not spectacularly paced. It felt like the progress made in the plot stretched somewhat just so that the episode could end in a cliffhanger. The scene progression wasn't all that great either. The girls themselves manage to somewhat set themselves apart this episode but at some moments were dangerously close to merging into a unidentifiable blob. Still both Hime cuts are clearly involved in their own ways. I can see that they are trying to develop characters and that is appreciated. Overall because of this I look forward to next weeks episode.

Episode 6

As a new temporary manager approaches the group trouble stirs up. His push for greatness seem harsh and unfair, but I feel this is somewhat of a trickery. Though it's only a guess I believe what he is doing, while pushing their physical limitations is this.

I believe he is attacking the so called heart of the group. A girl who is hardworking but not very talented but serves as a emotional support pillar to the members of the group. The ultimate choice he is giving them is to become cold and heartless or to truly be a heartfelt group that inspires him.

Overall I found the episode not spectacularly paced. It felt like the progress made in the plot stretched somewhat just so that the episode could end in a cliffhanger. The scene progression wasn't all that great either. The girls themselves manage to somewhat set themselves apart this episode but at some moments were dangerously close to merging into a unidentifiable blob. Still both Hime cuts are clearly involved in their own ways. I can see that they are trying to develop characters and that is appreciated. Overall because of this I look forward to next weeks episode.

Nothing to add, Just agree with this and signing the I am watching this thing.

I see potential in this anime beyond the typical idol anime, what I don't like is the animation, mainly the character models. 6 episodes in and I can only distinguish about half of the group......my eyes are getting them down week by week though. doesn't help that these idol groups consist of so many members though.......

Episode 7

It was a pretty good emotional episode. Generally it went about how I imagined it would but it was still pretty well directed with decent emotional scenes between the three girls which were the focus of this episode. The other four doing something on the side beside it was rather ridiculous and not really neccesary but I guess they had to have the other four do something during this episodes run.

As it stands the three girls who were focused upon this episode are basically the most developted out of our 7 female leads. Miyu had her episode of focus so she also has decent character establishment. Minami's episode was rather lackluster in terms of character establishment and as such she doesn't really feel that well developted but I guess it counts. That leaves 2 more girls which are very lacking in that category. Kaya is generally the motherly type and has some backstory to her but hasn't really had much depth added to her character up to this point and then we have... Nanami who's character up to this point has been rather unlikable with weird tsundere quirks and almost no character establishment, she's usually the one to bitch first and last and other than that I can't really say anything else to say about her..

The episodes dedicated to Airi have probably been the best written up till now, being both realistic and involving despite my feeling that Airi's character design is rather blatantly common girl orientated to the point of being boring and unattractive.

Progressing nicely. They are attempting to individualize each character and the story is unfolding in an entertaining and well thought out way.

Episodes 8 & 9

Still a decent anime with decent character establishment and decent plot movement. Not much more to say about it, it's flawed but not very much so, it's entertaining but massively so, it's story is thought out but not remarkable, the characters are slowly becoming interesting but it's taking a while. the progress is slow but not irritatingly so, the artstyle is so-so and the backgrounds on each character isn't exactly revolutionary in portrayal.

To summarize, it's a very unsurprising average anime which doesn't fail particularly hard in any place but doesn't excel either. It's a calm piece that focuses much on realism and not so much on being uplifting or involving.

There is no reason to recommend this to someone who isn't a fan of idol anime, but there isn't a reason to tell someone to avoid it either. Unless that person is particularly bad at anime with slow starts.

Last edited:
^pretty spot on.

This is only the 2nd idol centralized anime I have watched, the other is love live.

This is far more dynamic in terms of plot were as love live's concept seemed pretty obvious and predictable from the start. However, there is something special about love live that made me love it, while I don't know what to feel about this show other than it's average........only 8 eps in though, I'll reserve absolute judgment until the end.

Episode 10

The budget limits are showing. The large amounts of animation in some scenes end up being sloppily drawn while the still shots are still very lacking in many cases, often using recycled animation or repeated frames. Still for what it was the story was quiet okay, it's just quite sad that the animation and art consistency had to suffer for it.

Yea true that, for a idol anime, when they perform they should be able to suck you into the performance. It makes you kind of care less for that aspect of the show. we just accept that they are good and entertaining because they say so.

The emotion aspect is strong however, despite being very obvious how things would turn out from the ticket was left on the table and glanced at maybe 3/4 times afterwards. I still felt the drama when it all came together.

Good story, but I wish they focused more on the music part, they didn't even bother showing another performances not even that of that of the rivals they hyped so much.

Episode 11

A good episode, a little cliché with the ending premise but overall the episode itself was truly enjoyable with less sloppy animation and admirable chemistry between the girls that make up the titular characters.

Back