Fairy Tail

farfromahero

Fairy Tail

Synopsis, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual chapters and first impressions of this manga here. Full reviews should be posted here.

Wow, so apparently there wasn't already a thread for Fairy Tail (was kind of surprised). Anyways, I figured I would start one.

For those of you that don't know what Fairy Tail is about I provided an explanation, but it may spoil the first episode/chapter by reading it (which is why i put it in spoiler).
A young celestial mage, Lucy Heartfilia, runs away from home and travels to the land of Fiore to join the magical Fairy Tail Guild. Along the way, she meets Natsu Dragneel, a teenage boy looking for his foster parent, a dragon named Igneel, with his best friend, Happy the cat. Shortly after their meeting, Lucy is abducted by Bora of Prominence, who was posing as Salamander of Fairy Tail, to be sold as a slave. Natsu rescues her and reveals that he is the real Salamander of fairy tail and has the skills of a Dragon Slayer, an ancient fire magic. He offers her membership into the guild, which she gladly accepts, they along with Erza Scarlet -Armored maiden, Gray Fullbuster -Ice Maker, and Happy become a team performing various missions offered to the Fairy Tail guild.

Now that I've given an explanation I'm gonna start posting on recent chapters.

Fairy Tail 199
I'm glad that Lisanna wasn't dead, but how did her brother and sister not know of this? I mean in the past they said she was dead (after being swiped away by that giant monster), so I thought that was her cause of death. However, now it shows that they actually found her body and she just vanished into thin air in front of them. Did no one ever question why a dead person would just vanish? The only other person, that I'm aware of, that has been shown dying was in the Tower of Heaven (when the fairy tail mage got blasted), but I think he turned to dust. I think that was because of his spell though.

Fairy Tail 200
Not sure, but I think that unknown new character is a new dragon slayer. His power looked like some kind of death field that can grow to a large radius (that or lost time magic that speeds up the age of things in a given area). Other than that, I'm glad they brought back Laxus' team since they are probably all S class mages. And I already hate the new magic council.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read 199

I agree with you, how did they not know she was alive? I assumed they thought her body was destroyed, but I couldn't recall how she had died exactly. Either way, I'm willing to accept a minor plot hole if it gives me my Lisanna back. I almost cried when I found out how she dies, and on the thought of her not joining the main cast.

Also:
Lisanna smile
250px-Lisanna02.jpg

Fairy Tail 201
I think that it's awesome that Natsu, Gray, and a few other familiar characters are participating in the S class challenge (Maybe they will all rank up). Not really sure how they never mentioned this Mest Gryder person though. After seeing Charles precognition I feel like this whole challenge will end like Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire where some unknown bad guy comes out of no where (probably that new dragonslayer), during the tournament, and kills some person (probably Mest Gryder because no one knows anything about him so no one will care). Afterward they will defeat the bad guy and it will turn out that the person they thought was dead was actually just sleeping or something...

Fairy Tail 202
I'm glad that they implemented the buddy system and now have all the main characters in this tournament. I thought it was kinda lame that Natsu didn't pick Lucy because he wanted to partner up with Happy (I just assumed that having Happy with him wouldn't count as a partner since he can't fight). I'm also not sure how Cana failed this test four times, but I'm sure that Lucy will be able to help her out (esp. since she has a ton of celestial gate keys now).

Optimistic about the next Fairy Tail after a somewhat boring Edolas arc, the next arc seems like fun. The various team up's were very unpredictable and still carry so much potential in them, add to that mix two completely unknown characters and the future seems very bright.

Atm I struggle somewhat trying to predict the out come of this arc but here goes :)
If they manage to carry out this exam (chances are that they are going to be interrupted atleast abit) let's see who might get promoted to S-class:

Won't Win
Elfman and Fried are side characters at best, and both somewhat uinteresting.
Juvia doesn't want to be S-Class because of Gray.
Natsu doesn't need the promotion at all, and it would serve no purpose for the story to let him win. Would be cool though.

Dark Horses
Mest completely unkown, so can't really say that much. Doesn't make that much sense to add an new main character, atleast not as a good guy. Also he would be an good candidate to kill off so the new council will be pissed off at Fairy Tail.
Levy would be winner that everyone could live with. Noone gets hurt if she gets promoted despite being the weakest entry.

Favorites
Gray winning would help him greatly to step out of Natsu's shadow and could even help him becoming a more interesting character, instead of his current status as a weaker, less interesting and frost based version of Natsu.
Cana has been standing on the sidelines of the Fairy Tail story for a while now and this could be her chance at getting some "screen" time plus she is a senior member of the guild and seems to fit's the S-class role perfectly.

Anyway, me having abit of fun aside, chances are that the next arc will be more about the energy/life sucking dude that the actual exams, so we might not have a new S-class mage in the end.

Fairy Tail 203
I have a feeling that there are going to be 4 groups of winners for the first exam. The reason being is I feel that either Elfman or Lisanna will go up against Mirajane and Mirajane will lose on purpose. I'm pretty sure Lucy and Kana are going to win against Bixlow and Fried especially since Lucy has more celestial spirits (Gemini taking on the form of an S class fighter or the guild master would be cheap but hilarious). Overall, I can't wait for the next chapter. I'm starting to like this arc.

Fairy Tail 204
I kinda figured that Fred and Bixlow let them win when they were defeated with just one attack. Although I thought that the fight was hilarious (esp. when Lucy summoned Virgo). I'm looking forward to when Natsu fights Gildartz. I have a feeling Natsu will somehow win.

Cana/Lucy beat Fried/Bixlow.

Predictions:

Juvia/Lisanna will loose to Erza.

Elfman/Evergreen will loose to Mirajane.

Natsu/Happy will "beat" Gildartz.

Gray/Loki will face Mest/Wendy and loose.

Levy/Gajeel will advance without fighting.

Fairy Tail 206
That fight was totally one sided, but I guess it's to be expected against Gildartz. I liked that Natsu brought out this hidden dragon technique. If that were a regular opponet I'm sure it would have been devastating. I'm guessing at the end of the fight Gildartz went Super Saiyan and then used some sort of Haki ability to intimidate Natsu? (sorry about the two different anime references in that sentence) I'm glad that Natsu passed that test, but it's crazy that the gap in strength is that wide from those in S-Class and those that aren't.

Fairy Tail 207-208-09

3 chapters at once... we are being spoiled.

Holy crap... the lifesucking dude is Zeref? Did not see that one coming. Mest seeming to be a bad guy, perhaps a member of that dark guild that is on it's way, makes abit more sense. Seeing as we have Zeref and all 3 fairy tail dragonslayers at the same spot perhaps it's time that a Dragon makes an appearance aswell?

207-209
Ugh, my only complaint about these chapters was "how do you not know if someone is a member of your guild or not." They mention not knowing when Mest joined the guild, but shouldn't Mirajane know most, if not all, of the people in the guild since she is the bartender and stays there the whole time? Other than that I enjoyed these 3 chapters in one week. Wasn't expecting Elfman to beat Mirajane or Mest to lose (after reading the other chapters though it makes sense why Mest did). I wasn't expecting that death field guy to turn out to be Zeref. I think that the leader of the Dark Guild bares a somewhat similar appearance to the new magic council leader (the mustache connecting to the long beard plus the weird helmets he wears). I'm looking forward to the next chapter though.

211-214
So we found out that Mest is actually part of the Magic Council and that one of the Dark Guilds members is already at Fairy Tail's island and he's some sort of telepathic bomb man. I did enjoy seeing Master Makarov go into a giant badass form. I have a feeling that the larger form will just make him an easier target but I'm hoping that he will annihilate some of the dark guild members before he probably gets taken out.

Fairy Tail 242
It feels like this arc has been going on forever. Glad that Zeref finally woke up and showed some awesome spell. Something tells me that Laxus will show up to fight Hades since he inherited that power awhile back. Can't wait for more chapters.

I just hope that Natsu and everyone aren't able to beat Hades without the help of Laxus/Gildartz/Zeref. Having them beat Hades after getting their butts handed to them earlier would seem rather cheap, imho.

207-209
Ugh, my only complaint about these chapters was "how do you not know if someone is a member of your guild or not." They mention not knowing when Mest joined the guild, but shouldn't Mirajane know most, if not all, of the people in the guild since she is the bartender and stays there the whole time?
Mind altering magic. Simple.

These new chapters are pretty damn cool! I really like this arc!

I'm gonna play catch up now. Not been reading manga for awhile except One Piece weekly. Be a nice way to ingratiate myself back into manga.

EDIT: Just started watching the anime too and couldn't help but notice the voice of Natsu is Tetsuya Kakihara, the voice of Simon from Gurren Lagann.

Last edited:
Fairy Tail 243

GOD DAMN THAT WENT BY WAY TOO QUICKLY! :frustrat: I hope Wendy's okay. I don't want to lose the cutest character yet!

Fairy Tail 244

Friggin' called it! :laugh: So now Laxus is joining the battle. Wonder what he's been up to?

Back