Pet Shop of Horrors

valondar

Pet Shop of Horrors

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Surprisingly good. I went into this with no expectations at all - the whole art style looks very Yoshiaki Kawajiri-ish and I was anticipating the mediocrity I usually associate with him but what I got was a rather classical piece of horror about people's hubris and breaking of the rules leading to terrible consequences and so forth. It's not amazing or anything and it won't scare you but I was pretty entertained; my favourite episode was definitely the third one about a washed up actor who had one big hit in a sci-fi movie and was now out of it; which admittedly was part of the reason I liked it but I felt it had some other solid elements too.

There is a sort of arc involving the police that's more a vehicle for plot exposition than anything else and the portrayal of the Chinese as purveyors to a mystical realm of exotic power is a curious hold-over of racist portrayals in older Gothic fiction, but I think this is certainly a decently entertaining watch overall.

I just watched this expecting it to turn out to be some mediocre horror, but this turn out to be a pleasant surprise with some interesting stories with their own moral related to the story. It has it's weaknesses, it doesn't have the best soundtrack out there, the word scary is the last thing I'd associate with it, and it got a bit too silly at some points. But it's still quite decent for a short episodic OVA series. 6/10

I just watched this expecting it to turn out to be some mediocre horror, but this turn out to be a pleasant surprise with some interesting stories with their own moral related to the story. It has it's weaknesses, it doesn't have the best soundtrack out there, the word scary is the last thing I'd associate with it, and it got a bit too silly at some points. But it's still quite decent for a short episodic OVA series. 6/10
Watched this today and you perfectly summarised my feelings as well! Although I'd give a 7/10

Here for EDS and my second time watching it. I love this anime, I gave it a full 5 stars when I first watched it, and I still keep my decision. It is an intriguing anime that talks about desire and need. Each story is magnificent, not only beautiful, the episodes create great barriers for the intrinsic desires of each character. It is not perfect, but the anime is so well thought that I gave it a perfect score.

I watched this anime because of a EDS groupwatch. I have to say that i loved and hated the anime at the same time. There were some sad moments but i would like to watch more of it. Sadly there were only 4 episodes and i have seen that the manga has more things, more plot. Sadly i could not find a good video quality but this was one of the few anime that you watch for the plot and mystery than for the amazing quality.

Here for the EDS groupwatch.
I liked this anime, after the first episode I thought all episodes were gonna be like "you didn't keep the contract so now you die", but they did some interesting things instead of that.
I also liked the main character, he was kinda basic but still a fun character.
Also Robin Hendrix kinda gives off aromantic vibes.

Here for EDS. I love this anime, it's an interesting take on people's desires. I do like the characters Count and Leon kinda basic but I found both to be entertaining. I liked the fact that they did a Alice in Wonderland story I'm a sucker for how many different ways people can make it.
I wished it had at least 12 episodes, what a shame.

What a fun anime, I probably wouldn't have checked this out if not for the EDS groupwatch. The character designs were especially interesting, though not really memorable. The anime was maybe a 3.5/5 but the stories were engrossing.
I don't really enjoy those tragically dark or twisted endings, but I managed to power through it and the anime left me satisfied I suppose
Really glad I checked this one out.

EDS group watches are always a bit of hit or miss for me. And this one was a hit! I loved how the supernatural storyline intertwined with the character's 'regular' problems, especially in the first episode! The only reason I gave it a 3.5 rating is because I'm disappointed there aren't more episodes.

Here for an ABC groupwatch with @ran88 !

What an absolutely fascinating anime! I loved the unique premise and the dark secrets each episode would showcase.
My favorite episode had to be the 3rd, with Medusa as the pet. Medusa has always been one of my favorite Greek myths and to see the man and her fall in love and the way he cares about her beyond her rarity. He wanted his final image to be her eyes and that is pretty poetic to me.
I wish that the show had more episodes or that the final episode was a bit more conclusive, as it ended like there might be more to come. Its been a while but I would love to see more adapted, it captivated me for sure

Here for the ABC groupwatch with @Leahchu

I don't know what I was expecting before I started watching this, but this was definitely not it (not complaining though)

It's really interesting how horror is done in this show, instead of having the pets be creepy and that being it, the horror comes from the characters being driven by their desires and emotions, and ultimately working towards their own demise/doom, one way or another. It's a really interesting way to do horror, and it pulls it off pretty well. Although I call it horror, it's not really all that scary in the typical sense, it's got more of that weird japanese horror vibe than anything else (even though it doesn't have any of the other traditionally japanese settings and monsters that make japanese horror feel so bizarre)
Although there were some parts that I didn't like (like the cop guy being super annoying), this was a pretty good watch. As @Leahchu said, it's a bit of a shame there are only four episodes.

Back