Voting is over for the Anime-Planet 2008 Community Anime Awards!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Not as many people voted as I was hoping for (only around 30-40 people voted for each category - that's a lot of power those people had over a site of 60,000 users!), but voting is now completed. You can check out the current votes here (new posts aren't an option, but you can read everything).

Expect an announcement sometime soon with the winners!

Hopefully next year more people participate :)

@_@

I thought it was rather successful for a first go. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the results. Thanks for all the hard work, Cetonis and Co! :D

I too only saw a couple 2008 series, so really couldn't vote.

I think the delay was a big part of the problem. Fortunately v3 will be out before next year's awards, so you'll be able to get the awards up earlier. (Plus, you won't have to spend as long hashing out the details, since you've already done that for this year. Next year you can just plop the shows into the categories & go.)

I think there is some truth to what Zakiel says.

While I was ok with voting in most of the threads, it was far from harmless.

Some suggestions for what would really make the process easier, as well as, I'd hope, bring from votes in for next year, are:

1) Centralize the voting. Have some sort of spot where one can click away and vote for everything they'd like.

2) Clickable voting. Instead of having to write everything one wishes to vote for, clickable lists would be fantastic. Some sort of method where clicking on the anime in the list auto puts it in the reply box, or, better yet, clicking up to 3 in order and clicking a "OK" button auto replies for you sorting them about the proper way for a reply.

3) If possible, having a voting page, where each category is nicely displayed, and clickable names of all the anime in each list are present. That way, one can just click the ones they wish to vote for in all the different categories quickly and easily.

Of course, I'm not sure what's possible with time/money constraints, but I think there are many simple ways to improve it, like being able to see all the lists in one centralized thread for one thing, and before each list have a link to it's proper thread. Simple stuff like that to make it all more connected.

we dont have the money to get a nice site-driven system set up - until then the votes have to be tallied manually

I think there is some truth to what Zakiel says.

While I was ok with voting in most of the threads, it was far from harmless.

Some suggestions for what would really make the process easier, as well as, I'd hope, bring from votes in for next year, are:

1) Centralize the voting. Have some sort of spot where one can click away and vote for everything they'd like.

2) Clickable voting. Instead of having to write everything one wishes to vote for, clickable lists would be fantastic. Some sort of method where clicking on the anime in the list auto puts it in the reply box, or, better yet, clicking up to 3 in order and clicking a "OK" button auto replies for you sorting them about the proper way for a reply.

3) If possible, having a voting page, where each category is nicely displayed, and clickable names of all the anime in each list are present. That way, one can just click the ones they wish to vote for in all the different categories quickly and easily.

i'm happy to put up that system, but it will need to be fully user-funded and won't be cheap to have done.

Maybe it could be like the Oscars, and have people nominate shows for each category ahead of time. It would narrow down the choices to make things simpler. If the nominations were posted early enough, members might have a chance to watch more of them before the actual voting because there wouldn't be as many to watch.

@venanonix: I think you bring up a great point. In the documentation it states rules to prevent people from making duplicate accounts for extra votes. I think that made it a bit less clear that all members of the community are encouraged to vote. (which I assume is the case ^^).

@dreaming0: I think this would have really helped, bringing this up months eariler would be really helpful, give people time to watch those that get nominated for their favorite categories.

I think these changes would really support next years votes, without costing much time or money (to my knowledge).

Oh, stuff I should probably respond to here -.-'

Timing: It was, of course, decidedly later than we would have liked due to te development of v3, and as a result we had to compact the time windows. Originally there were going to be a couple of weeks between announcement and the start of voting, and a full month window for the voting to take place. Future votes should be closer to that timing and more in the February range, especially since the actual planning will be easier with a setup already in place and experience under the belt to base any modifications on. Plus we'll be able to set up the genre/leads lists publicly ---

For this first time, we had to keep it all under wraps until it was fully ready to go, on the off-chance that it might need to be nixed. (In fact, we were working on doing this back in 2007 but had to let it go) Announcing something to people and getting them excited about something only to nix it is Not Good. So we made due with a mix of input from mod chat, and "please don't tell others about this" pms flying all over the place. But now that there's a system in place, it should be easy enough to apply to future years that nixing shouldn't be a reasonable possibility.

Separate threads - If all the voting were in one combined thread, it would get rather difficult to count, and any side-discussions would be a mess for anyone to attempt to follow. Is opening a separate thread for each vote really all that troublesome? Most browsers have tabs these days, and they shouldn't take that long to load... plus they were all conveniently linked from the rules page... I'm not sure I understand the issue here -.-'

And as mentioned, a voting script would be extraordinarily expensive. So long as you're not voting for Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto - Natsu no Sora everywhere, the act of typing the names shouldn't really take all that long once you know what you're voting for, right? Maybe it's just me that doesn't feel like it's a big deal, because of all the other typing-heavy stuff I did... 3 short lines of text times 20-28 feels like nothing by comparison :P

Nominations - One of the aims of the setup was to attempt to minimize needless drama, as the primary goal here was to be an entertaining exercise for the users. Nominations are something that will naturally cause drama - people bugged that their pet series didn't get nominated for this or that, or something was nominated that they felt was a steaming pile of trash, etc. If we were going to try it, if nothing else it absolutely could not be a closed-doors smoke-filled-room sort of thing, as that all but guarantees heated drama. This ruled out attempting it this time due to the necessity of secrecy.

Even then, a simple/basic public nomination wouldn't be all that different than just voting openly anyway, especially since we're not doing polls but rather lists where people can vote for their first, second and third favorites. Which means you can vote for an unpopular favorite first while still supporting something more likely to actually win, so it reduces the need to cut the pool down to the x "top" candidates. Also, such open nominations would be prime grounds for full-blown popularity skew if not done right - there'd need to be some mechanism in place to give less-viewed series a decent shot of making the cut. So that's two issues to combat, for which it would take a reasonably fancy system to work around. The nominations would probably require more effort than the actual voting -.-'

Vernanonix - Will have to take note of that and try and fix the wording for the next time. I figure "the A-P community" means anyone that uses the site, (as opposed to random lurkers) but didn't think too hard about whether or not it might be interpreted another way. Sorry about that.

Well, alright then, that pretty much explains everything. (I'd just like to note that I found the voting was pretty well done, and my commenting is only to try to improve an already working system. I'm not sure why so little people voted beyond the possibility that just not many people go one the forums on decent occasion, or are pure lurkers).

Lurkers probably would be much happier to vote in a more anonymous system, but I can't figure out any viable way to do one. I think just encouragement for everyone to vote is the only real possibility.

Not much else to be fixed then, seems everything I can think of has been thought of and addressed. Great work on the secrecy too, Had no idea until the day of that it was to happen.

I guess I just feel bad that more people didn't vote when I thought it was a great idea for the site to have, and really want to see what could be improved to get people up and voting.

I think it was pretty well done, not bad for a first go. Expetally considering the fact that it wasnt told about ahead of time. Next year people will know that its happening therefor will be sure to vote. Point is dont stress bout low numbers =D it was fun.

I also had started a thread about best anime per genre, and had found out first hand open voting with no prior nominations is kind of a pain, and having open nominations is basicly the same as the vote itself. Also, having one thread with all the diffrent genre and such does cause a bit of a mess. I think having diffrent thread per thing is fine.
Got a year now to spit shine the wording and any minor details.

I'm not sure if this is also in the pipe dream arena but would there be a way of showing on the winning anime's page info that they won 'anime-planet users voted this best... for 2008' it might increase participation next year if the site users (as opposed to just forum users) had more exposure to it and it has influence over the parts of the site they use more?

I'm not sure if this is also in the pipe dream arena but would there be a way of showing on the winning anime's page info that they won 'anime-planet users voted this best... for 2008' it might increase participation next year if the site users (as opposed to just forum users) had more exposure to it and it has influence over the parts of the site they use more?

Yep, banners or something along those lines are in the plans. (I'm told v3 is being designed with a place to put them) It's just that sothis doesn't exactly have the time to be worrying about that right now, so it's going to have to wait a little bit. (she's very strict about quality on the mainsite so it's something she would need to oversee herself)

Honestly, I think it could be set up better. But that could be just me liking it being more centralized.

I voted in a few, but when I realized I would have to go through around 20 different threads, to do all of them, I couldn't be bothered to. =|
Copy that and with this, I also only saw a couple 2008 series, I couldn't really vote.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the results. Thanks for all the hard work, Cetonis and Co! :D
I can copy each of these.

So I think: make a beautiful thread in which the 'awards' are presented, lock it direct so that additional comment won't harm the visual aesthetics, and finally place a link to this awards-thread on the AP home page.

Having such a page will enhance the honor of winning which on its turn will bring forth extra motivation to vote next time. BTW, this 'next time' can IMO also be done considering a different year than 2009. We can watch a little back into time, don't you think?

I think the simplest way to address the issue of clicking buttons instead of posting your answers would be to just post each vote as a poll. Polls on the forum allow up to 25 options (which I'm sure can be increased even further via the admin panel, if needed), and can be set to allow users to select multiple options.

Yep, banners or something along those lines are in the plans. (I'm told v3 is being designed with a place to put them) It's just that sothis doesn't exactly have the time to be worrying about that right now, so it's going to have to wait a little bit. (she's very strict about quality on the mainsite so it's something she would need to oversee herself)

Sounds cool. I better get watching some 2009 anime :smile:

Back