Flag

ParaParaJMo

Flag

Synopsis, screenshots, recommendations ~ Add Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here; reviews and final impressions should be posted in the Anime Reviews Forum. Post format and full rules can be found here.

I recently came across this review of Flag
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Buv8pl-Ni2w

To me, it looked really unique, original, and just plain different. I like the concept of it and seems to offer a different kind of 1st hand point of view of what's going on in the star.

Has anyone here that can also say this is worth a shot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Has anyone here seen Flag?

im watching the first few episodes as we speak, as someone requested it be added to the database and i figured i'd just do it. i haven't seen enough to comment on yet, but i will once i have.

Its just sounds like it will be anouther Mech anime to me but then I just read about it on WIKI. here is the Quote from it

Saeko Shirasu is a 25 year wartime front-line photo-journalist who became a celebrity after taking a picture of civilians raising a makeshift UN flag in war-torn Uddiyana. The image then became an instant symbol for peace. However, just before the peace agreement is achieved, the flag was stolen by an armed extremist group in order to obstruct the truce. The UN peacekeepers decide to send in secretly a SDC (pronounced as Seedac - Special Development Command) unit to retrieve the flag. Because of her connection with the "Flag" photo, Saeko Shirasu was offered the job of following the SDC unit as frontline journalist. The SDC unit is equipped with a HAVWC (pronounced as Harvick - High Agility Versatile Weapon Carrier) Mecha robot tank.

This is not very descriptive so I might be wrong.

It looks pretty cool to me! I am thinking about starting this one up myself. Sure its a mech show but I bet it has a good story behind it.

Hmm never heard of it, but after watching that clip, i will def check this out. They way they tell the story seems very original and im actually looking forward to seeing this. The visuals of it seems very intrestingtoo. Plus its got mech's, im a huge mech fan.

Thanks for the clip.

I like the more realistic(?) mech shows. That doesn't really describe it right. I guess I prefer the mechs to be more FMP less Godanner.

Does this look to fit the bill?

halfway through episode 2, and i can easily say this is one of the hardest things ever ive had to force myself to sit through.

SO. FREAKING. BORING.

(and i love slow slice of life shows such as kino, etc... so it's not that)

i am going to try to stomach 4 episodes total of this and will check in with a final note. in general it definitely is filmed very differently, which is cool, but that doesn't change the fact that it's insanely, insanely slow and boring (with uneven pacing)

Looks very promising, actually highly promising simply based on the opening poster's youtube link.

I personally hate mecha anime; they're too unrealistic. Plus, the animation flow of these shows usually is lacking. Mecha-robotics are always well animated and top notch while human characters seems to be second or even third rate comparatively with respect to animation fluidity.

Flag, however, looks as if both mechas and humans are given equivalent attention to detail. Third, they're more "americanized." Facial features more closely resemble real humans; the eyes are not ginormously round and large, both of which enables me to really feel for the character, and get "into" the anime.

If the youtube clip is a "true" representation of the entire series, then I can see this anime a worthy one with high replay value. I hope this is indeed the case.

I love the way the picture "wobbles" at time; it absolutely gives that added touch of realism. The "wobble" also indirectly decrease the amount of "still-frames" present. Plus I love the way the story is told through a camera lens.

I also think more anime should adopt the "wobble" effect to phase out "still-frames." The series itself will depend on actually watching a few episodes.

halfway through episode 2, and i can easily say this is one of the hardest things ever ive had to force myself to sit through.

SO. FREAKING. BORING.

i am going to try to stomach 4 episodes total of this and will check in with a final note. in general it definitely is filmed very differently, which is cool, but that doesn't change the fact that it's insanely, insanely slow and boring (with uneven pacing)

Hmm well judging from the clip, after episode 4 it will probably get a lot more action oriented, however i cant back that up as i haven't even seen a single episode of it. Its funny, i hate watching movies were they just talk, but i don't mind anime like that. But i definitely will not have high expectations for this one.

Last edited:

the guy reviewed volume 1, which means none of those clips are past episode 4 :p (and most of the clips you are seeing are from the very first episode, telling the story about the flag)

Yeah but he mentioned that they had all these plans to raid somewhere( and thats what the first 4 episodes were about, the build up) so i mean, its gotta be soon before the action kicks in.

maybe, but they've already gone and shot up various armed faction places and gone on missions... so there have been elements of action and such, it's still boring though ;)

https://www.anime-planet.com/anirec/1558.html

well i basically ended up hating that.

pros:
-definitely a very unique "direction" style. the entire story is told, essentially, off of either narratives from third parties or clips on a laptop. you rarely see the protagonist, and the perspectives are mostly from hand held camera shots and such.

-a realistic feel, simialr to yugo (i put a rec up for this in the entry)

cons:
BORING BORING BORING. it's not that it's only talking (as there's some action); i can't really put my finger on it to be honest... it's just boring as hell. i think it's the very uneven pacing. in one of the first episodes, for example, there's freaking 5 minutes where she just pans and scans over the image of the robotic mecha, sort of like a joke that goes on for WAY TOO LONG.

i will definitely not be finishing this series. 3 episodes was enough (couldn't bring myself to watch the 4th)

well try it out for yourself, maybe this is another where my opinion differs from the norm... i do remember when this was first coming out though and everyone had dropped it, and now i can see why :/

No, if sothis says its no good, then it's dead to me... =p. Ill still check it out, however i'll get some coffee so i dont fall asleep.

SO. FREAKING. BORING.

Ditto sothis. And ditto the slice o' life shows too.

Back