Hunter X Hunter (1999)

KiraRin

[sadht]Hunter X Hunter[/sadht][sadhl=55]hunter-x-hunter[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

I'm only on ep 45 of the tv series at the moment, but thought I would discuss with others (I know chii is also watching it this weekend) and see how others fee about it...

The show really dragged for the first few episodes, and I don't think I've ever seen such a large chunk of a show dedicated to a group of people running...

However, the show and the characters really started to grow on me, and by the second stage of the hunter exam, I knew I was hooked. The diversity of Gon, Kuropika and Leorio was carefully balanced by the writer, and I love the way they bounce off each other.

My biggest concern about this series was it would turn boring after the Hunter exam.... how wrong could I be! I'm just working through the sky arena arc, and as hungry for more episodes as ever!

I really think I'll be recommending this to more people ^^

H.

Last edited:
Re: Hunter X Hunter

the first 10 eps are a drag but now on ep 13 i'm starting to love it and see a great change from how it started off

damn those 4 or 5 eps of running...

just finished off ep 22 or something close to it

WTF pin head DUDE??? I've seen some weird shit before but that was just special. really enjoying this :D

Last edited:

yeah it's a great series that just gets better XD the OVAs are awesome as well.

Ep 49

I'm not sure if I'm enjoying the group split up quite as much, especially as it keeps jumping between Gon/Killua and Kurapica. I mean, at least show a little bit of the bish-tastic Leorio...

I quite like the mix of technology creeping in too. Now they're on the hunt for a computer game which seems to be completely at odds in the kind of world the whole story is set.

The more I watch of this, the more I'm enjoying it. I really enjoy character focussed stories, and the action isn't bad either!

However, I did feel a bit cheated at
the end of the hunter exam, where everything was abridged after Gon's final fight with Hanso. I would have liked a few more episodes to see a bit more of the fighting

I'm intregued by Hisoka though. He seems like a multi-layered onion, and each time they meet him, he's showing a little more of himself...
I can't wait to see what happens when he completely loses it ^^

H.

Last edited:

Yay, I love HXH. I just think that its a really great anime that anybody can enjoy as well as probably the best shonen-stuctured adventure anime ever :P

these greed island ova's are kinda lame

You suck :p

I quite like them, especially the second OVA episode 6..... Hisoka's naked butt :love:

Its really started to remind me of Get Backers for some reason, I think its the mix of fighting with the technological aspect. Either way, I'm still loving the show ^^

H.

well yes the butt was awesome :D
maybe i just want more actual story than what we're getting. with how things are going atm i'm not going to be satisfied with this ending.

LOL at rock paper scissors

This is probably one of my favorite Anime's... period.

To me this whole series is really about Gon and Killua's friendship. Which to me is just fluffy and awesome and makes me smile.

I agree the first 10 episodes of this series is REALLY slow .... I think a lot people end up giving up on it before it really has a chance due to this fact. I came to HxH because my gateway anime had been Yu Yu Hakusho by the same author. So I gave this one a try.

This is the anime I turn to when I've had a bad week. Something about Gon's cheerfulness always manages to make me smile.

Can anyone point me to some animes with similar friendship dynamics like Gon and Killua? (fluffy!) I have been watching Naruto ... but I think I have now met my frustration level for ever seeing Naruto and Sasuke on screen in a friendship-like manner ever ... so I need some fluff to cheer me up!

Oh man! Been watching this anime non stop since I first started a few weeks ago. I'm super upset now though since I've caught up with all episodes that have been released so far. I hate the waiting game. Episode 135 was brutal.

It took a lot of effort not to cry at the end of that one. T_T

Though, I'm kind of upset at the most recent story arch. They were drawing that shit out DBZ style way to hard. Having 10 seconds pass over the course of like 2 episodes is just obnoxious. But maybe I'm just being story greedy. :D

haha, my bad. Thanks. ^_^ -- And yeah, I was thinking of the Chimera Ant story line. It was pretty painful. :D

"You should enjoy the little detours.
To the fullest.
Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want."
And Hunter X Hunter is a wrap ladies and gentlemen. An anime all about the journey has ironically arrived at it's destination. It offered a grand spectacle of what could happen should the anime ever continue, but gave so much closure that no one should be sad if this is truly where Hunter X Hunter ends for all time. It's a truly profound anime that transcended what could be done in a shounen anime, or anime in general. 148 episodes have culminated into one of the truest satisfactions of my life. This anime is superb, y'all.
10/10 no brainer.

So the anime's over but episode 148 felt "wrong", it's not really an ending but actually the beginning of everything. Gon's new journey and so much is also happening in his friends' lives. 148 would be good if they released another season. I'm always disappointed when things end like this in an anime, it's over yet nothing's really over and we don't know what will happen next...

In the end I didn't really understand what happened to Kite and the butler. :sweat:

The lack of child safety in this sort of anime worries me. 2 episodes in and a 10 year old has befriended a bunch of potentially very dangerous wild animals, gone on a solo fishing trip to catch a fish that is 5 times his size and lept onto a sailing ship with a fishing rod. Anime logic is weird.

episode 1
man, i forgot how young gon is. the grandma being like let him go. gon's 12, not 18

I liked the newer version, but I like the older art style and feel better

weird seeing kite with blonde hair

usually naive protagonists are annoying to me but gon is a child and i just find him more likeable

Episode 2

• Lol not the stomach growl

• Gon attaching himself to Leorio real quick

• Not Kurapika exposing his red eyes so quickly

• Gon would make a great fisherman

• I don’t remember if Leorio ever said anything like Sense of duty in the 2011 version

Episode 4

• [*]Not the crazy bus driver lol. So random

[*]Immediately picking on Leorio for following gon too lol

[*]Leorio is definitely the straight-laced one in terms of morals and the most normal one

[*]I like how it shows how gon has more depth to his character than being naive
Episode 6
Killua being like friend whats that

Back