Please Sell Me On...

I thought that this would be a useful thread idea, where people post Anime that they never really liked or were able to get into, but other people like. A case can then be made for why the show is good. For example I don't like Elfen Lied convince me to try it again.

^ Horns, actually. =) They do look quite a bit like cat ears though.

What I liked the best about Elfen Lied was how much some of the characters or scenes managed to move me. When I watched this I wasn't even the big fan of gore I am now so the drama was definitely what reeled me in and made me become a fanboy in the first place. Not that I didn't appreciate the rest back then, but as I just said I wasn't specifically into blood fests, so it was only later that I came to love that as well.

As for the nudity, it's gratuitous sometimes and I don't like those parts, but in other bits it's necessary (because of the plot/characters' circumstances) and even enhances the scenes. The best example I can give is Nana's introduction itself, at the end of episode two.

Oh and speaking of Nana she's my favorite female character ever, so I guess that's a plus too. Or twenty. :banana:

I thought that this would be a useful thread idea, where people post Anime that they never really liked or were able to get into, but other people like. A case can then be made for why the show is good. For example I don't like Elfen Lied convince me to try it again.

Well I liked it for the interesting storyline and complex characters, as well as the brutal gory ultra-violence. In short it appeals to both sides of my personality, the sophisticated side and and unsophisticated, with enough of a balance between the two to get me emotionally and intellectually invested in it rather than dumping it because it disturbed the crap out of me. :smile:

I'll probably pick it up again soon anyways, but please give me reasons I should pick up Gintama again.

^ The first three episodes of Gintama are all crappy filler episodes used to introduce the main cast and aren't really representative of the series quality or sense of humor. Honestly if you are serious about picking up Gintama again you should watch the first 25 episodes before making a decision about because that's when the show really starts to hit it's stride and it is consistently hilarious from that point on. Gintama has a very broad sense of humor incorporating slapstick physical comedy, all kinds of wordplay and more parodies and references than you can shake a stick at. It's got a huge cast of hilarious characters so while it does take a little time to establish them all the show just keeps getting more and more hilarious as all the secondary and tertiary character settle in. But if you haven't found anything you like and don't think episode 25 is at least funny then the show probably just isn't for you. I just think you are making a mistake by dropping the show after watching the three worst episodes. The show already starts to get much funnier with the 4th episode and on.

Also this:

AkRMX.gif

I'll probably pick it up again soon anyways, but please give me reasons I should pick up Gintama again.

I can't give you any, sorry. ;) While I really enjoyed the Shinsengumi episodes, after 40 episodes or so I couldn't stand the big white dog and the female Herkules anymore.

Brain, at first I didn't know you well but now that I know your tastes a bit better I can tell almost for sure that you'll enjoy it immensely if only you give it a fair chance.

Gintama is the best series I've seen at mixing comedy and action so well. Other shows that attempt this fail at one, the other, or both. But the funny arcs in Gintama are hilarious, and the action/serious arcs are epic. And as the others have already said, it takes a bit to get rolling, but once it does, it doesn't stop.

There are two big hits that I never got into:
-Fullmetal alchemist (the first one)
-Deathnote

I could not relate to the characters. All the character in deathnote where too cold or too stupid, and most of the characters in Fullmetal where too melodramatic. I can see the quality of these series, so please give me a good reason to try them again;)

Also tried the first 13 episodes of Gintama and found it to be meh. After which episode does it get better?;)

Also tried the first 13 episodes of Gintama and found it to be meh. After which episode does it get better?;)

Don't believe those who say that it gets better from episode xx on, it won't. ;) I can advise you only to watch the Shinsengumi episodes selectively, Kondo Isao was the only selling point for this series for me.

Don't believe those who say that it gets better from episode xx on, it won't. ;) I can advise you only to watch the Shinsengumi episodes selectively, Kondo Isao was the only selling point for this series for me.

Don't believe signorRossi, lol, it really does get better. Somewhere around in its 20s.

i watched 49 eps of Gintama ...i was not bad but not good ....i just could not see watching any more of something that left me saying meh...

There are two big hits that I never got into:
-Fullmetal alchemist (the first one)
-Deathnote

I could not relate to the characters. All the character in deathnote where too cold or too stupid, and most of the characters in Fullmetal where too melodramatic. I can see the quality of these series, so please give me a good reason to try them again;)

I would recommend that you just stick with FMA, but you have watched 21 episodes so I don't really know about that. I think if you get into the story and themes of FMA I think that you will feel the pain and anguish of the characters. Same with Death Note the themes and setting lead into the characters. When you get into FMA and Death Note there is no looking back.

Can't help with death note, watched the whole thing and thought it was a crap fest.

FMA on the other hand, yes there's melodrama there, but it's pretty realistic melodrama, these two kids thrown into an adult world way beyond their years fighting for their lives. The story just gets better and better, and although it differentiates from the manga quite substantially, the story is (dare i say it?) just as good in the anime.

death note...it should be called egomaniac...and he's hardly the genius he feels he is...just a big ball of "how wonderful i am" .....i did not like it...

Back