Worst anime?

Gummo

What are the worst anime films/series/OVAs/ect. you've seen?

Mars of Destruction and Skelter Heaven are obvious answers, but they probably are the worst ever made.

Buddha Saitan (The Rebirth of Buddha), Crystal Triangle, and Green Green are pretty horrible as well.

Very easily, Sameunco is the worst thing I've seen and will be, till the end of time probably.

Kinda depends on how you define "worst." A botched adaptation automatically becomes teeth-grindingly frustrating to watch.

The five I've given the worst marks to:
  1. Voices of a Distant Star - I thought this had great potential as a sci-fi romantic film, but it focuses too heavily on the one-dimensional characters making it a chore to sit through if constant wistful remarks about love and separation aren't your thing.
  2. Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolescence of Utena - Remember the TV show? This movie doesn't want you to either, opting to go the full art-house route to its adapting of the series. The result is an utter mess.
  3. Loups=Garous - Flat and unimaginative, with cheesy dialogue and a random cameo from a J-pop act that probably doesn't exist any more.
  4. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku Outbreak - The weakest of the (non-fanservicey) Higurashi spin-offs, this takes Movie Science to a whole new ridiculous level. Has a strong first half but then devolves into bloody mess.
  5. Bakumatsu Rock - The bishies are not worth it. I repeat, the bishies are not worth the crappy repetitive soundtrack, the lazy characterisation, the haphazard anachronisms and the infuriating way it handles pretty much everything.

The Yoji Kuri shorts (Human Zoo, POP, The Room, Aos, etc.) are the worst I've seen. They are so bad that almost everything else looks great by comparison.

Blade and Soul anime, only good thing was the ED.

There are plenty of bad OVAs though, Like Roots Search or Wicked City, join us at DTAB and watch a few horrible things.

Sparrow Hotel
Blood-C
Kampfer

Mezamero
UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
Virus Buster Serge
Gundress

Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart (the only 1+ thing I've seen I've given a .5)
Cross Ange
Coppelion
Galilei Donna
Guilty Crown
Sword Art Online

That's about it for all my 1s. I've seen plenty more awful things, but my score cap for them generally is with a 1.5.

Last edited:
Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma
Eiken
Gantz
Gilgamesh
MD Geist
MD Geist 2: Death Force
Nabari no Ou
Nami
Ninja Resurrection
Reign: The Conqueror
Rurouni Kenshin: Reflections
Shitcom
Sora no Otoshimono Final: Eternal My Master
X: The Movie

I didnt mind Kampfer, sure its no masterpiece but its not terrible. Just an Ok, thats a thing that exists.

Seikon no Qwasar was pretty terrible, and Cross Ange came very close to being just as bad.Diabolik Lovers was also irredeemable.

I'd say Pupa for me, but my most hated is probably Kanokon.

Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma
Eiken
Gantz
Gilgamesh
MD Geist
MD Geist 2: Death Force
Nabari no Ou
Nami
Ninja Resurrection
Reign: The Conqueror
Rurouni Kenshin: Reflections
Shitcom
Sora no Otoshimono Final: Eternal My Master
X: The Movie

I didn't find Blood Reign that bad. I can't find myself to count Shitcom because of how different it is, although it is...crap. Couldn't finish that Sora no Otoshimono movie. Haven't seen the rest, but maybe that's for the best.

There are so many like Shin Chan and Doramon , how can people watch that suff:seriously:

Well, the demographic in Japan for Doremon and the real Shin Chan (not the western Dub) is younger kids. So, I would say, it was probably not aimed at us.
I actually thought Doremon can be kinda cute at times. Granted I have only buckled down and watched a handful of the hundreds of episodes that it is.
Shin Chan does look like shit to me, so I'd agree with you there.

Back