[request] Review improvements (formerly: Dedicated reviewer)

LackofCreativity

I just thought I'd inform you, all of your reviews are written by roriconfan and apparently everything is shit. The reviews are ten miles long too can I at least block this guy so his stuff doesn't appear? I tried, but the block button does something else. They don't even seem to be amusing shitposts : (

Re: Dedicated reviewer

Bit melodramatic to suggest that they are 'all' written by him. I just learned (very quickly) to not read them. Nothing that rori writes is amusing. He just hates everything that anyone else likes.

Not sure if anything is planned to block particular reviewers, but it's not the end of the universe.

Nothing that rori writes is amusing. He just hates everything that anyone else likes.
Not sure if anything is planned to block particular reviewers, but it's not the end of the universe.

He's not that bad, some of his reviews are actually quite on the spot and we do share some favourites too (just sort his reviews by score and I am sure you'll agree with him on some things too). But like you said, just stopping to read is the thing to do if you don't like where he (or someone else) is going with a review. As long as no direct insults are thrown around (which I don't remember him doing in a review) there is no need or justification for further action.

He's not that bad, some of his reviews are actually quite on the spot and we do share some favourites too (just sort his reviews by score and I am sure you'll agree with him on some things too).

/snip

I don't share that opinion. And no, I don't recall a single occasion where I've agreed with his... point of view... and I'm not particularly keen to go out of my way to try to align our stars either.

That's all there is to it.

And no, I don't recall a single occasion where I've agreed with his... point of view... and I'm not particularly keen to go out of my way to try to align our stars either.

Are you sure you checked all his reviews close enough? :troll:
But you're right, there is absolutely no need to delve into this matter any further. :smile:

All your reviews are belong to Rori.

He's easy enough to ignore. Most of us have been doing it for years now.

I did prefer the old system A-P had for reviews. Being able to select the individual ones, rather than scrolling through was nice. That said, your problem here is solved by hitting "page down" like three times. Roriconfan probably writes more reviews than anyone else, and we don't have official anime-planet reviews anymore *insert single tear drop here*, so his tend to be the first reviews you come across.

But... when I clicked more reviews I had to scroll through them in full to get to another. Maybe I spaced out, but I don't recall clicking read more. Given that all his reviews are ten miles long it isn't a complete non issue, it is annoying. He had the first or second review for everything I clicked on as well. No obviously I didn't look at it and think damn now I have to read it. I double checked it just now. When you click see all reviews that read more/read less option does not appear. That is really my issue here.

PROPER MINDSET
And just for the record, both those shows were far more retarded than they wanted you to think they were.
obviously going to be the most overhyped title of the year.
if some think otherwise they are simply ignorant.

Will try that page down suggestion. Think we posted at the same time.

To me the reviews are spam, if I could block him maybe somebody's better review would show up in that top two slot. I only go on as my complaint was dismissed as complete nothingness.

The new review section is just poorly designed. The old system of listing each review by title was much better and easier to navigate than having to scroll through walls-of-text.

But... when I clicked more reviews I had to scroll through them in full to get to another. Maybe I spaced out, but I don't recall clicking read more. Given that all his reviews are ten miles long it isn't a complete non issue, it is annoying. He had the first or second review for everything I clicked on as well. No obviously I didn't look at it and think damn now I have to read it. I double checked it just now. When you click see all reviews that read more/read less option does not appear. That is really my issue here.

PROPER MINDSET
And just for the record, both those shows were far more retarded than they wanted you to think they were.
obviously going to be the most overhyped title of the year.
if some think otherwise they are simply ignorant.

Will try that page down suggestion. Think we posted at the same time.

To me the reviews are spam, if I could block him maybe somebody's better review would show up in that top two slot. I only go on as my complaint was dismissed as complete nothingness.

If you have a suggestion for the site then you should create a thread here. https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

If there is some agreement with the suggestion someone can start a new thread or a mod can move this one. I don't plan to. I described what I saw as a problem, but I don't expect anybody to change anything because I alone tell them to. It depends on the popularity of the idea and administrator interest. Further action myself wouldn't help the issue. Besides I'm a very light user of this website so far, I am not invested. That the top review for so many shows is this guy, it is not helpful imo.

The best way for the higher ups to see your idea is to post it in those subforum I linked. We in this section can't be of help to you.

This has actually been fixed... well, it's no longer so unwieldy to wade through reviews.

The problem is when you click "see all reviews" it expands ALL of the reviews and you just end up with a wall-of-text with very poor spacing that makes it difficult to find the bottom of one review and the start of another, especially if fucking roricon wrote one... His ramble on for fucking ever.

I left this in General for a bit.
moving this to bugs and such. Looks like Narky pointed out some of the changes may have helped, and Panta brought up spacing issues.

Might as well set this here.

I only go on as my complaint was dismissed as complete nothingness.

I don't see any previous posts from you about this so i'm not sure where this is coming from.

Indeed, I would have replied to this earlier had it been in the right section (requests/bugs)

Anyways, some improvements to the reviews are badly needed. I agree with you on that. We have a tracking/internal issue open to deal with it, but everyone's feedback would be welcomed on how you think things could improve.

A few notes:

1. Roricon's reviews are indeed pretty much nothing but aggressive rants - he was comment banned years ago for his bullying across the site on others' reviews, but he still has (bizarrely enough) a legion of fans that go through and upvote the hell out of his stuff. Thus, they tend to be up in the top 2 slot. This personally bothers me as well. He's allowed to post his stuff here, but I do not consider his reviews to be representative of the site.

Thus, I've been planning to roll out an admin 'deprioritize' button that can be used to not show something in the top 2 reviews on the entry itself (it wouldn't change the ordering when looking at the 'view all reviews' page though, but presumably you'd 'read more' and that would jump you down to it anyways). This would be used for roricon's stuff in entirety so it doesn't show up in the first two in the entry, but also if the top voted ones had other concerning issues (like if the top preview section was nothing but spam for a personal blog)

2. There needs to be a clear set of rules on what constitutes an acceptable review - meaning it cant just be a paragraph/synopsis, there needs to be some common criteria. I'm open to suggestions on what these default criteria should be and please reply with ideas on that. It's a good first step and we could put that up immediateyl.

3. Once some real guidelines are up, we hvae another tracking issue to add a 'report' feature and also a flagging system for reviews. The report feature will be site-wide and will be able to be used for other stuff too, like inappropriate bios, recommendation reasons, etc. The flagging system will be like recommendations, where if something doesn't meet the criteria, it's hidden from view to the rest of the site. The user can make edits and it will become visible again.

4. We need a way to promote the reviews better so more of them are read and voted on, and probably some sort of badges or awards for posting quality stuff (unknown how this would be handled)

5. If you guys have suggestions on how the /reviews/ page would look in an anime or manga entry, please let me know! I agree that the wall of text isn't ideal, but we also do need a landing page view for reviews, rather than just a list that go to the user profiles. Perhaps instead of 5 big text sections, there would be 5 summary sections (the scores, the first para, the votes) and a one-click to expand the text option for each of them. If you clicked 'read more' from the anime entry, that review would be auto expanded on the /reviews/ page (but the other 4 would be non-expanded)

tl;dr i 100% agree that the review feature is suboptimal - we need to have a lot more participation (so that it's not JUST a small handful of peopel writing the majority of reviews), we need to have better guidelines and quality control on what goes up, and it sounds like we could make improvements to how they are displayed as well. Please post any thoughts and suggestions you have here

Ping to everyone else that posted before me? There seemed to have been lots of discussion, there's now an admin listening for your suggestions, so please reply :)

Back