Serial Experiments Lain

Don9aldo

Okay guys! Post your thoughts on series here. :drinking:

I'll update this post later after I watch the first episode again.
:sweat:

I cheated a little and watched 3 episodes but fell asleep during the third so I'll re-watch the last one.

I have this on DVD and have done for years, I've watched the first ep at least twice before but haven't had any discipline with this show. Strangely this time round the design felt less dated than it did last time I tried watching it. This is a world that needs wifi though because all the wires overhead are oppressive!
So far it's not great, I feel more into it than I did before so hopefully I'll get far this time.

It's been what...10 years since I watched. I probably should rewatch it, after all it is pretty much the standard every other anime since then had to live up to...

This is my first real try, I always peter out after 2 or 3 episodes, owned it on DVD for years. Gotta say so far its not showing a lot of brilliance and suffers from a dated style. Gonna perserve if others stick with me, at least to a point where I'm hooked/fed up.

Have no fear!
I haven't actually started it yet saying as I was focusing on exams, but that stuffs over now! Yay!
I'll just marathon the first four episodes tonight and post it up later.

So how's everyone doing? It gets a bit deep around the sixth episode I believe, not to say that the entire show isn't confusing.

Yeah sure, I should have time tomorrow afternoon...or saturday. It's short, so we should be done by then.

Lain's dad is pretty crazy...just as I remembered him. But I don't remember there being so much blood splatter everywhere.

Every form of media has some golden trinket in it's midst. Something that is brilliantly made, something that makes you think and something that, no matter how many times you revisit it, you'll find something new.

In anime, this golden trinket is Serial Experiments Lain. I've owned the DVDs since I was first able to acquire them and have watched them like no other. This series is one of the most brilliant animes ever made, if not the most brilliant.

Just if anyone is wondering; the password which Lain's dad uses to log into his Navi (Think Blue, One Two) is a reference to a short story which has quite a few things in common with the series. Check it out if you wanna!

I think the distorted shadows, and Lain's loss of focus is meant to represent her disassociation with the world around her; while the lingering shots of the pylons are about her close connection with the net - where she really exists. Lain herself seems like quite the psychopath, probably because of this, they don't explain why her family is so dysfunctional until later on though.

It's so much better the second time through; oooh I love the thought put into it, the atmosphere, the small touches of music, everything! It's all one gigantic extended metaphor yay!
/fanboygasm

I remember when g4 ran SE lain in the classic days of g4 during the Anime unleash line up. I have to say that weirdest animes that i have even seen, I will added to my collection to watch and understand it fully..

^ Do that!

It was much better on the second time through, everything seems to click into place a lot more when it's put into context.

One thing which goes almost completely unexplained though, is the significance of "Accela" - was it just a plot device for the guy in the nightclub to hook into the Wired without a device?

it is one of my favorite anime ....but it does take a few viewings to really appreciate it...

i did too bu after seeing it several more times i realized that there was more to see and know than you/i could get in just one viewing...

I'll probably watch it again once I get the rest of the DVDs, like I did with Paranoia Agent.

of course it could just be me ...reading subs as slow as i do i often have to stop the anime if they go too fast....the old eyes don't focus as well as they used too....

^Then I think you would have a big problems with Bakemonotagari and that stuff...

But yeah I agree, Lain deffinatley deserves to be rewatched...

Back