Also needed: help with tag images!

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
This thread is part 2 of the tag upgrades for V3 of the site. In addition to the tag descriptions, I need ideas on little images for each tag.

Odds are these images won't be attached to the 'browse by tag' section (the picture I'm showing is an old mockup), but they will show up elsewhere on the site.

Here's what I'm talking about:

We have a designer on board to create these little images from scratch, but I need ideas on what they should be. Some are easy (romance, for example, could be a little heart or multiple hearts, as seen in the image), while others aren't (historical? slice of life? etc)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - just keep in mind the image can't be so complex that it's impossible to be small; small is key! You can see all of the tags here. I need an image for every single one.

my ideas (discussion welcome!) - some are based on the images above (though we'd have our own versions created):

Aliens: little green/gray man head (classic alien)
America: american flag
Angels: a wing, or halo, or both
Animal Protagonists: a cat or dog head
Aviation: a plane
Baseball/Basketball: a baseball or basketball
Board Games: a mini checkerboard or a chess piece
Boxing: boxing glove
Card Battles: a magic-looking card
Cars: a car
Classical Music: small violin
Detectives: magnifying glass
Dinosaurs: t-rex head
Drama: the mask idea up above works (could be comedy has a happy mask, drama is a sad mask)
Ecchi: i like the idea of a pair of panties, but we also have panty shots, hmm
Environmental: a tree
Europe: EU flag?
Family friendly: adult silhouette stick figure holding the hand of a child sized one
Food: any small food item
Gender Bender: combination of a male and female sign, maybe a small question mark too
Gore: blood splatter (if we keep gore)
Hackers: a few binary digits (ie, 0110)
Harem: i like the above idea

(ill post more later)

Historical - quill and scroll
Fashion - a simple dress (and shoes?)
Fighting - A clenched fist
Forbidden love - a heart behind a no-go sign (like Ghost Busters logo only with a heart instead of a ghost, lol)
Hackers - a PC monitor
High School - a workbook and pen/pencil
Hip hop - a head with afro hair
Idols - a microphone
Magic - a wand and witches hat
Magical Girl - a pink girly wand with some kind of generic symbol as its head e.g. a heart or star or something
Maids - a little apron
Medieval - a knight's helmet
Mermaids - a mermaid
Military - a tank
Mindfuck - a rubix cube
Music - musical notes
Outer space - either a planet & stars OR a space suit
Pirates - the pirate flag
Police - a police hat/cap
Psychological - a brain
Racing - a pair of chequered racing flags
Random - two arrows crossing each other (like the 'random' symbol on a player)
Reverse harem - like harem only one female and two male
Rock music - guitar
Samurai - katana
Science - a beaker of bubbling liquid
Sci-fi - a space ship OR a bug-eyed alien
Shinigami - Death with scythe

Just quickly went through the list, whatever I could come up with in an instant and isn't blatantly obvious (i.e. baseball/basketball/soccer) is here;

Adventure - a bindle
Angels - two wings
Animal Protagonists - one or two animal heads
Assassins - a dagger
Board Games - a chessboard
Bounty Hunters - a moneybag
Classical Music - a piano
Comedy - a smiley
Demons - devilhorns
Detectives - magnifying glass
Dinosaurs - a t-rex
Dragons - a dragonhead
Fantasy - a scroll
Fashion - a dress
Gender Bender - male and female symbols (circle with arrow/plus) merged together to one
Horror - blood
Mature Themes - a red circle with 18 in it
Medieval - a castle
Melancholy - a sad 'smiley'
Mercenaries - a sword and morningstar crossing eachother
Music - a musicnote
Mystery - a questionmark
Pirates - pirateflag
Post-apocalyptic - broken down flat
Religion - christian cross
Science - an erlenmeyer flask
Sci Fi - a planet with rings around it (think Saturn)
Steampunk - two cogwheels
Suicide - hanging rope
Swordsmen - a sword
Vampires - fangs

I would suggest changing either the family friendly and/or harem images somewhat. Right now they look very similar, despite being very contrasting concepts. Maybe colorize the harem one (a blue guy with 2 or 3 pink girls, which could be reversed for reverse harem), and/or make the family one have 1 adult & 2 or 3 kids.

Bollocks. I'd just typed out a bunch of stuff and accidentally clicked an ad and lost it all so because I'm tired and can't be arsed to write it all out again, I'm just gonna do a few.

Slice of Life - something ordinary like a coffee cup, hairbrush, shoe
Sports - Football, tennis racket
Feudal Japan - Geta, katana
Pirates - Skull and Crossbones
Thieves - Bandit Mask
World War 2 - Bomb
Explicit Content - Exclamation mark
Surgeons - Stethoscope
Shounen-ai/Yaoi - Two male symbols
Shoujo-ai/Yuri - Two Female symbols
Maids - Feather duster
Angels - Halo and Wings

Well Ive only got a few but for harem I think it should be like the image you have but maybe pink and have the girl symbols you usually see on public restroom doors and then for reverse-harem have it be the same symbol except with three of the male restroom symbols in blue. Also romance should probably be a heart obviously (even though its a little cliche). And maybe for ecchi both a panty and bra? Those are the ideas that come to mind right away.

Lolz you do know an adult with color coated children surrounding him doesn't sound like a family but more like a loli harem.

Abstract: a Picasso painting or just squiggles.
Card Battles: 2 cards leaning into each other with a tank coming outta each.
Crude: could be alot of things, a finger up a nose, a picture of a dude burping etc.
Cyberpunk: drawing of lil kid pretending to be robot
Drama: I like that theater mask you have but a picture with several of them.
Detectives: a magnifying glass but inside it a blue paw print.
Environmental: a recycling sign( I think a tree is too ambiguous)
Europe: just a minimap of Europe over a black screen ( if someone can't recognize a map of Europe they won't recognize a EU sign or even know what it is so its simple.
Family Friendly: mickey mouse ears?
Gore: a blood splattered screen with a fuzzy image behind it.
Girls With Guns: a blond girl with double dds holding two 45s.(aimed at you of course)(winking as well)
Love triangle: a heart with crossing roses.(like an x)
One Shot: picture of a revolver with its chamber open and a bullet standing next to it.
Reincarnation: picture of a recycling sign but with a human a cow and a burger in it. ( i understand in anime reincarnation is usually of a human to human but it is more commonly known as human to animal)
Religion: easy just put a cross(Christianity), a crescent(Islam), a six pointed star (Judaism)
Romance: a heart with a rose.
World War 2: a bomb with a radiation symbol next to a swastika or WWII printed like Star Wars text (ie stretching back in white letters)
Zombies: a zombie reaching towards the screen with a shotgun protruding from the screen towards it.
Suicide: I like the hanging rope idea but I think this category should be removed as it is too much of a spoiler, if it is dramatic enough that people should be informed slap a mature label on it.

****Uhh.... Nobody said anything about color coding the family one... ***
it was a joke treat it as such.

I thought it might be, but it was hard to tell. (Even harder since that was just before I hit the sack last night.)

Anyway, we should get back to the topic before decides to peel us for hijacking her thread. ;)

internet: An @ or a pc or something.
samurai: A sword
Slice of life: A cup of tea or something.
thieves: A thief mask.
otaku culture: A manga
moe: A face with red cheeks xd:love:

Slice of life: watermelon (or slice of one) since these shows tend to have a beach episode where they try to break the watermelon on the sand. Just an idea. >.>

Hey AP!
Just wanted to let y'all know that i'm the designer on-board for this type of thing!
This list of ideas for icons is giving me a lot of good ideas and perspectives for images/icons on these genres!

I know a bit about coding the mouseover images. If possible, I think that would go well so when someone mouses over the title or the small image representing it, a larger and clearer picture with maybe a description or something will pop up till' the user moves the mouse elsewhere (you know what I'm talking about).

Tragedy: a face behind hands, multiple tears on the side
Baseball: a bat
Tsundere: a heart half-hidden behind a mad/shouting/angry face.
Slice-of-life: a dairy/agenda
Police: a pair of handcuffs
Religion: a priest
Witch: a broom under a stereotypical cone hat
Vampires: a neck with two small black spots
Classical Music: a violin or a conductor
Music: a few musical notes bound in a small slur

hi all,

bumping this to get some ideas on some of the remaining tags (most had no suggestions, a few i'm just hoping for a few more suggestions so theres a few to choose from). some of these are tough, but if you have any ideas please let me know! ill put my own suggestions too for some, feel free to comment on mine too:

Action
Adventure
Androids
Card Battles
Compilation
Countryside
Crossover
Crude
Cyberpunk
Cyborgs
Ecchi
Episodic
Futuristic
Ghost Hunters
High School (changing to School Life)
Horror
Internet
Josei
Journey to the West
Martial Arts
One Shot
Otaku Culture
Parody
Person in a Strange World
Political
Post-apocalyptic
Psychic Powers
Revenge
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Seinen
Sexual Content
Shoujo
Shounen
Slow-paced
Smut
Space Opera
Space Pirates
Supernatural
Superpowers
Survival
Suspense
Swordsmen
Thieves
Thriller
Tournaments
Violence
War
World Masterpiece Theater
Yandere

keep in mind that the icons should be a representation of the tag (such as basketball for basketball), rather than a clever rebus or something (such as a basket plus a picture of a generic ball, instead of a regular basketball). they also need to be small things as these icons will be verysmall.

Action - maybe a running stick figure with motion lines?

Adventure - no idea ;_;

Androids/Cyborgs - no idea how to distinguish these two. Robots can be a robot head though

Card Battles - considering a stick figure holding up a card triumphantly?

Compilation - compilation means multiple authors had a part in the anime or manga - ie animatrix, memories, etc. maybe a few raised hands like voting? no idea

Countryside - could be a tree or something, and environmental could then be the recycle sign like someone else suggested for it

Crossover - crossovers are when a series has characters from another series. could be two stick figures with a diagonal line separating them, and arrows into each other's space? hm

Crude - not sure of a simple icon that can be used for this

Cyberpunk - no idea

Ecchi - need an idea beyond a pair of panties as that's being used for panty shots

Episodic - ie series where each episode stands alone. no idea ;_;

Futuristic - not sure how to do this one

Ghost Hunters - considering a ghost with a detective magnifying glass on top

High School (changing to School Life) - hm

Horror - id prefer no blood as that would be used for the gore tags - other ideas? a person screaming and clutching their face?

Internet - PC monitor i think

Josei - how do you put an image to more mature relationships aimed at non teen women?

Journey to the West - this could be a monkey head, perhaps

Martial Arts - no idea

One Shot - no idea

Otaku Culture - no idea, i dont think doing a manga will work as people wont really know if it's a manga or just a book

Parody - no idea

Person in a Strange World - no idea

Political - no idea

Post-apocalyptic - not sure if a crumbled building will be easy to tell what it is

Psychic Powers - no idea

Revenge - no idea

Romance of the Three Kingdoms - no idea

Seinen - same problem as josei - how do you quantify aimed at older men?

Sexual Content - i like cassie's idea of an exclamation point for explicit content, not sure what to do about this though

Shoujo - no idea

Shounen - no idea

Slow-paced - no idea (coffee cup is being used for slice of life)

Smut - no idea

Space Opera - no idea

Space Pirates - no idea (pirates is skull and crossbone)

Supernatural - maybe a ghost?

Superpowers - no idea

Survival - no idea

Suspense - no idea

Swordsmen - id prefer not a sword because a katana is samurai and assassin is probably a dagger

Thieves - no idea. people have suggested a thief mask but im not sure what that is or if it's recognizable

Thriller - no idea

Tournaments - no idea

Violence - no idea (same issue with not wanting to use blood due to gore)

War - no idea (world war 2 is a mushroom cloud)

World Masterpiece Theater - no idea

Yandere - no idea

Back