Macross Frontier

Maethor

Macross Frontier

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual episodes and first impressions of this anime here. Full reviews should be posted here. Forum rules and post guidelines can be found here.

Episode #: 1
Now being a huge macross fan, I have waited forever for this and I have to say that it did not disappoint me at all.

I have to say the music (a big part of the macross franchise) was good. The song sung in the concert was ok, but for some reason I just did not like it. I think i disliked the girl's (sheryl nome) personality more than the voice/song.
The ending song on the other hand was incredible.
I loved the glider scenes and want to see more of them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in the first Macross everyone wanted Minmei to die and the new girl so far is less annoying.

Well atleast there doesn't seem too be some singers going out and using there super singing powers too bore the enemy too death.

Macross Frontier has turned out to be more than what I was expecting so far (I am only on episode 3 that I will watch tonight). The love triangle seems to already be forming and the additional scenes in episode 1 of the TV version as aposed to the Protoculture edition do kind of give more even time between the two lead girls.

I love the new enemy. More close to reality then the enemy that was in Macross 7 (although I loved that series). I wonder how Alto is going to deal with the situation. I hope he doesn't become wimpy. If Basara is more manly than the new lead that would be saying something. But then again not everyone can be Hikaru Ichijou and go from being a snot nosed cocky kid to a Military and war hardened adult over night.

I'm looking forward to following this series in it's entirety.

Last edited:
Must must watch... love... robotech...

Man I love robotech, watched it when I was a kid + used to play all the games. Was hoping for a little familiar music in this series. although the sound is really good, still want to hear the original theme. Still... going to love every minute of this.

Must must watch... love... robotech...

Man I love robotech, watched it when I was a kid + used to play all the games. Was hoping for a little familiar music in this series. although the sound is really good, still want to hear the original theme. Still... going to love every minute of this.

Just to give you a heads up and a little History, This series is the newest franchise in the Japanese Anime series Macross.

Footage from the original TV series of Super Dimentional Fortress Macross was used to create an edited dub with new music by Ulpio Minucci in the first third of Robotech that was the Macross Saga. This show on the other hand follows the continuity established from Macross TV to Do You Remember Love to Macross Plus (notice Eden is in the summary at the beginning of episodes) to Macross 7 with I imagine Macross Zero placed as the Origin of the series.

The differences are quite subtle, but a major one is
that the Zentradi were a rogue alien fleet that were self contained rather than having been created by any masters (although they still couldn't repair because they were exclusively bred for an ancient war by the Protoculture supposedly). Also Protoculture in Macross is an ancient alien race that seeded humanity on earth rather than a power source. (Zor and the Robotech Masters do not exist in Macross).

If you want more of your 'original theme' unfortunately no more work from Ulpio Minnucci has been done as sadly he passed away in 2007. However the original uncut version of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross TV is available on DVD in Region 1 from Animeigo (out of print) and a rerelease with a new dub by ADV Films (dub not really recommended compared to the Robotech cast personally but that's a discussion for another thread).

I have never watched any other series of the Macross saga but this series is the one I am looking forward the most this season.

my top anime this season... have been anticipating it since it was announced.. and watching the deculture edition eps confirmed it for me that this could not be missed, although i admit the animation feels like it dropped a tiny bit in eps 3.. hopefully it'll pick back up again

this show surprised me, didn't think it would be this good. my 2nd favorite anime this season

I like this show. I think its got some pretty good action. I don't really care about the whole alien storyline, but luckily right now they focus on that as much as the aspect I do like: the interaction between (I suck with names) the girly guy, Rena Lee and the idol. For some reason that part appeals to me alot more than the action does.

My only complaint is that the fights are CGI. After seeing Gundam 00 I think they should draw all the battles. I think they'd look wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better if they were drawn rather than CGI. That and the video quality seems really poor. I've never seen a macross show but I thought they were really popular so I was expecting really hq video like you see for shows like Gundam 00, Ghost Hound, Dennou Coil, Kurenai. So far everything looks like a bad upscale of a DVD. I've een downloaded multiple raws... they all are blow.

Alright, lets talk macross!

Now then,My macross experience is varied, actually some animes with the word "macross" in them are in my "I-will-never-watch-these-pieces-of crap" file (macross 7, watch and shudder T_T). I have watched macross Zero and completely enjoyed it. So though I've had a bad macross experience I've always held out hope for the series/macross named things (I mean how can one not have hope for a show with planes that turn into mechs eh?)

So, back to macross frontier. Though at first I thought "oh hell no, why won't it die?" I stoically grabbed my bowl of popcorn and sat down. Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised (considering the last macross I watched incorporated a guy playing a guitar singing the same horrible song all the F***** time I suppose anything could be better-_-).

Macross frontier has hope! I like the style of animation (the CG ain't bad imo) and you've got interesting characters. Storyline is going to be pretty standard and I've kinda already gotten the general "theme";though, I do suppose it does seem to be getting a little more interesting as of episode #5.

Granted, I ain't so big on the whole singing thing; but I take it that it is kinda the macross thing to have people singing so I'll just have to cope *sigh*...why must Japanese people sing English words all the time anyway?...would you like us to butcher your language as well? (I know I'm mean but you're all thinking it!)

all in all I'll continue to watch it until they get Ranka or Sheryl end up piloting a valkrie by singing...then I drop it faster than DeCaf!

aight, I'm done

This series has taken a turn for the great and it is only getting better. Yohko Kanno's score is fantastic and fits every scene perfectly. The animation quality has not dropped one iota (I LOVE the colors and art palette). And to top everything off the entire series is an original Macross TV fans dream.

I know some have been skeptical, however this series is going into a wonderful love triangle direction that rivals the first series in tone. What better way to do this but to have not one but TWO pop singers in love (or rather certainly infatuated with) our main character who is a reluctant pilot.

The space opera aspect of things is also progressing at a nice smooth pace.
Hopefully we will see what the Vajra are, what their purpose is and why they react only to Ranka's singing and not Sheryl's.

*off topic slightly* Just for anyone who disliked Macross 7 TV, you may want to check out Dynamite 7 instead. It still has Basara, however it is more serious in tone and has a solid storyline within true Macross style. Otherwise sticking with Do You Remember Love and Macross Plus may be a best bet for serious drama anime. :ramen:

Has anyone figured out what exactly "deculture" is yet? (Might be best to put the answer in spoiler tags, not sure if it would actually be a spoiler or not.) It seems to be the same as protoculture was in robotech, but since this follows the japanese storyline instead of the american one.... *shrug*

Also, I've heard of the "deculture edition" of the first episode, how exactly is it different from the regular version?

(I've watched the first 6 eps already, so except for the ep that just came out, I'm all up to date on the series.)

Has anyone figured out what exactly "deculture" is yet? (Might be best to put the answer in spoiler tags, not sure if it would actually be a spoiler or not.)

"deculture" from what I gathered it's something that is said in surprise or shock and can be negative or positive depending in what context it is put.

Has anyone figured out what exactly "deculture" is yet? (Might be best to put the answer in spoiler tags, not sure if it would actually be a spoiler or not.) It seems to be the same as protoculture was in robotech, but since this follows the japanese storyline instead of the american one.... *shrug*

"deculture" from what I gathered it's something that is said in surprise or shock and can be negative or positive depending in what context it is put.

Slightly more detailed analysis:

It's a phrase in Zentadi from the reworking of the language for the movie version Macross: Do you Remember Love?. It just generally can mean 'I'm in shock' because the concept of culture shock to the Zentradi and Meltrandi (male and female respectively) races from the original TV series and what is retold in DYRL is a central part of the story and plot of Macross. Later in the anime timeline it can also be defined as 'Banzai Culture!' or if you want to fully translate that 'Long Live the concept of Culture'.

Culture's definition may vary depending on who you ask, however In Macross the simple concepts of love, physical contact between genders (let alone kissing and ... :love:), repairing vehicles and even some forms of living life were alien to the Zentradi because they had been bred for war with another race to help defend the Protoculture but eventually over time just became a self sufficient army constantly at civil war with each other (male and female in the movie version) through cloning (and micloning and macloning as later revealed and shown through size differences in later series).

This again is directly related to the differences in Macross from Robotech that tend to confuse people; as in Macross the reason why the Zentradi are shocked by men and women together and Earthling culture is because they had long since forgotten why the Protoculture Civilization had bred them for war and why they were separated by gender. (Again, the concept of Zor and the Robotech Masters as well as Protoculture being a fuel source is all Robotech and Carl Macek's idea as a vehicle to combine three unrelated anime into Robotech; but that is another thread altogether).

Btw, just as an added trivia bonus, the Actual Movie Macross Do You Remember Love? is both in our universe to watch AND breaks the fourth wall by being a documentary of the events of the original SDF Macross TV series in Macross Canon. You can see the Bridge bunnies in Macross 7 TV talking about an old movie recapping the first Zentradi War with humanity. :ramen:

Last edited:
Also, I've heard of the "deculture edition" of the first episode, how exactly is it different from the regular version?

That I actually had to spend some time watching both versions of the epsiodes to catch.

Other than the obvious fact that the 'Deculture Edition' of episode one aired in September of 2007 to preview the series (man did that wet my appetite for more) there are some differences with Air version of TV episode 1.

A huge difference is that the TV version has an intro and a new ending. The down side to that is that with at least 3 new scenes added to the TV version of ep 1 there was some footage from the Deculture Edition' excised to make room. Granted most of it is mood related but I actually wish they would combine the two for an extended cut of ep 1.

The Deculture Edition of ep 1 feels different in pace. Much closer to the OVA feel of Macross Plus and Zero. That and Yokko Kanno's absolutely beautiful score is slightly truncated for TV ep 1. I also Loved How the Deculture Edition had Ranka's Voice Actress singing 'Ai Oboeteimasuka' as the ending. That was a treat as it shows just how close they really tried to make Ranka to Mari Iijima's original Minmei performance. (That was also Mari Iijima's debut and start to a life long singing career).

I will not go into the three new scenes in TV ep 1 in detail however if you would like it for reference the ones I noticed were:

The concert with Sheryl has some added tension towards Alto and shows a scene that gives Sheryl more of an equal presence on the show to set up the love triangle between Alto, Sheryl and Ranka. (The Deculture edition kind of focused on Ranka; I would imagine because her Seyuu <Voice Actress> was just premiering as a singer and VA at that time.

A short while before this we see Michael getting some more character development as a womanizer (which helps put some extra substance to the character besides making fun of Alto for his slightly bishounen 'pretty boy' look). We also get our first sign other than in the intro to the TV series that there is a reason why Alto is sensitive about being mistaken for a girl (other than the obvious). Luca also gets some additional characterization.

There are some small changes here and there but I'm not so intense as to name them all here.

Lastly the little change of adding an eyecatch of the genuine version of Ranka's 'nyan nyan' commercial dance was priceless. I happen to like Ranka so I'm a bit partial to this addition.

I hope that answers your question and anyone else's that would like to watch both. :ramen:

I'm wanting to pick this up. I've seen Macross Plus (movie/ova) and am wondering if this is a better introduction. I enjoyed Macross Plus, but it didn't blow me away. Just wondering if this one has some more interesting ideas, generally what rating people would give it, etc. I picked up Gundam 00 and after episode 5 I'm still bored witless, so not risking getting disappointed by another mecha show. Lol.

Back